facelift 1.8tQ?

kriswa428

Reaction score
I'm a bit torn between my car and an a3 1.8tq!

I'm 19 and drive an a4 2.8q....my first audi and we've built up a bit of a bond since buying it in April.

Despite this I have a real tuning bug.....and the v6 is useless when it comes to power gains. I could stretch to 3.5k for an a3t quattro. Does anyone have any expierence with driving a v6 a4 vs a3 turbo?

they weigh almost the same. The TQS remaps to around 220bhp on a generic map,so should provide a more sprightly car than you are used to.

I prefer the drive of the "proper" quattro over the helldex, but the effect when on slippery snow etc is the same. ie you go where others can't , lol

yeah i like the idea I have the full Q system rather than the fwd+ set up fitted to a3/s3 quattros. I just feel that an a3 1.8tq would feel more of a driver's car? I love the 2.8's effortless acceleration on the motorway but she isnt the most modern looking thing. This is the debate I'm having....keep it and spend £'s or buy a newer a3 quattro.

I used to have an A4 2.8 Quattro when I was in my early 20's. I kept it for 2 years and really enjoyed driving it. The ride was smooth but still had loads of grip. On the motorway it had plenty of grunt for overtaking but it lacked the get up and go I wanted for blasting down country lanes.

After 5 years of non-Audi ownership forced on me by having to have a company car I now own a 2001 S3 and I love everything about it. If I was buying another Audi now I would definitely opt for an A3TQS or S3 over a big engined A4, mainly because it feels far quicker off the mark and the 1.8t is more responsive to tuning. It's a very personal thing though, so a decent test drive in an A3 would be a good idea before you commit.

Thanks for the advice. I agree the 2.8 has plenty of grunt....acceleration 70+ is so effortless. Took her up to 130 at 1am on a deserted A road but I made the mistake of not looking in my rear view. Clocked at 115 by an unmarked octavia vrs. 1 month ban but thankfully no points! An s3 is a bit ridiculous for me to insure £2.7k! I wouldn't consider the 1.8t fwd, after having quattro I am not giving it up!

Now i need to find an a3 quattro to test!

where do you live mate? if your close, you can come take mine for a blast :w00t: its not standard but you'll get the general idea! lol

lol ah nice one, live in essex/london way. how about you?

quattro1 man, question for ya. whats ur 0-60 now it's non-standard? i know stock is around 7.1-7.3 seconds depending who you want to believe.

Im in bristol! Lol

Im not sure on the 0-60 time but id say well under 7, ill make a vid on the weekend!