S3 handling in the snow and ice.....? Mine think's it's an M3....

AWDMk1

Reaction score
My S3 is handling like a real pig in the snow and ice. The back is extremely, make that EXTREMELY, twitchy which may sound like fun, and it is, but not when it is stepping out going in a straight line down a motorway.

It handles perfectly well in the dry but is bordering on dangerous in the snow and ice we have up here in sunny Newcastle... it is lowered on Eibach springs and has whiteline anti roll bars, the rear one being three way adjustable (these were on when I bought it) I'm wondering if some numpty has fitted the anti roll bar and adjusted it just not in a good way hence it's M3 style handling.... Does that sound feasible???

It doesn't appear to have a ridiculous amount of camber / toe in on the rear wheels but I am thinking that must be the cause or, is it possibly something else I am missing???

Thanks,

Paul

hi mate, id have thought at the very least the traction control would have corrected that. i remember my previous bmw was an absolute pig in any weather. felt like the back end was twitching every couple of seconds: happened to be the rear anti-roll bar in that instance.

first things first tho, hook her up to vagcom to eliminate anything electricial :)

Get the 4 wheel alignment checked. Just the smallest bit can make them feel crazy in these conditions. I had the same with an old Peugeot after some suspension bushes were fitted and alignment sorted it

Im from Newcastle aswell mate and im having the exact same problem, I was coming home on the A69 last night and ive never **** myself so much! I ended up crawling along at about 40mph and the back end was still trying to sneak out, I thought it might be down to the tyres being canny wide but my car is also lowered so maybe its got something to do with that

Must be something to do with Newcastle roads.... ;)

Have a look at Robs thread, there is alot of info in there...