Volks AutosEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

S3 how many miles is too many miles?????

2001 AUDI S3 S3 Quattro 3dr Hatchback

Found this a couple of days ago though the millage maybe a miss type contacted the seller and went to view it. Its absolutely mint full stealer history receipts for everything even changed bulbs and the same owner from new! Its just the millage that makes that puts me off big time but should it? and what sort of things would I have to look out for?
    1992 Cavalier SRi 8V RIP
    2002 Mondeo ST TDCi Good riddance!
    2000 A3 8L 17" Ronal TT, -45mm, LCR Splitter, Matt Black Badging, Soon to attempt Lamin-x headlight tints

2. # ADS
    ADS

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    WOW that's some distance. I think that's a forum record...

Well, to be honest mate, all usual rules apply. Cambelt history will be important. I wouldn't let the mileage put you off too much if the thing drives well and the engine is reasonable.

Usual engine checks when viewing a car apply - oil leaks, jizz under the oil cap and in the water. Keep a good listen out for clunks and bangs when test driving.

I would suspect that 85% of those miles have been motorway miles if it's been one owner - motorway miles aren't bad for the engine, and put very little strain on it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Neutral

Status
    Its had 5 cambelts!!!
    Felt tight as a drum to be honest pulled strong all the way through the rev range.
    Will need a new front bumper as it looks like its been following a gritting machine for the majority of its life!
    The interior is a joke the passenger and rears look like no ones ever sat in them!
    Lets hope santa delivers a christmas bonus! Anyone want a low miles 1.6se ?!
    1992 Cavalier SRi 8V RIP
    2000 A3 8L 17" Ronal TT, -45mm, LCR Splitter, Matt Black Badging, Soon to attempt Lamin-x headlight tints

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by stu_b View Post
    Its had 5 cambelts!!!
    Felt tight as a drum to be honest pulled strong all the way through the rev range.
    Will need a new front bumper as it looks like its been following a gritting machine for the majority of its life!
    The interior is a joke the passenger and rears look like no ones ever sat in them!
    Lets hope santa delivers a christmas bonus! Anyone want a low miles 1.6se ?!
    OK, so she's good to drive, obviously been looked after, and been a rep mobile all it's life. F**k the mileage, go for it IMO.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Howdy

Status
    Yeah, go for it. Probably no less likely to need major expense spent than my 76K miler.
    Less than 3,000? Never seen one that cheap that didn't say CAT D at the end of the ad...
    2001 Audi RS4 2.7 Bi-Turbo - Nogaro Blue

1975 MG Midget 1500 - Tahiti Blue

2003 Audi S3 - Dolphin Grey; SOLD!

colicabcadam
    to be honest, the engine will go on and on if it has been looked after, however, you must be prepared to spend more money on it's up keep compared to a lower millage model.

Silly things will be on their way out such as relays, bearings, and even some major components such as the suspension and clutch may be on their way out if they've not been changed / over hauled

Just be prepared to sepnd some money on it (i'm not saying you will have to, but you might have to)
    Last edited by colicabcadam; 23rd December 2010 at 12:02.

Howdy

Status
    Well, my suspension is pretty shot and it's at 76K.
    Bushes and rubber bits will be fooked if original to the car - but with a full stealer background these things should've been done already (some will have been done 2 or 3 times i'd imagine!).
    If cambelt has been done recently and clutch feels ok just go for it and save some pennies every month for up-keep.
    2001 Audi RS4 2.7 Bi-Turbo - Nogaro Blue

1975 MG Midget 1500 - Tahiti Blue

2003 Audi S3 - Dolphin Grey; SOLD!

It's not f@cking ORANGE!!!!!

Status
    Effin' 'ell it's been to the moon and back!!!! Offer him 2750 - I think it's worth buying if it's cheap enough although you could probably buy one with half the miles for around 4500.

Good luck if you do buy it
    JAFFASPORT - 2001 Facelift, 218/237/216bhp AMK, Absolute Red, Thrashed to Death, Car Park Dents Everywhere, Kei Flux's, Knackered Shocks, Scuffed Rear Bumper and in need of a good Hoover!!

BLACK EVO BEATER -2001 Facelift, 349bhp AMK, Ebony Black, Blue Seats, 4 Wheels, Brakes, Exhaust, Headlights, Sh!t loads of boost and up for sale!

RGV 250N - Bloody fast and loads of fun........I get wet a lot when it rains....

2nd Gear

Status
    I bought a 2001 95k miler with tonnes of history and electric recaros for 4050...
    '01 AMK, completely standard except for the Ambient Lighting Pack.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    At least its been reliable, and with the endless cycle of worn parts it may drive as good as new

1st Gear

Status
    300k miles x 27ish mpg now thats a lot of petrol lol
    I would guess at that mileage it's had at least one turbo and clutch and most likely most suspension parts changed.
    If she drives nicely and everything feels as it should I cant see a problem with it, I've owned several s3's and one which had 140k on the clock was far tighter than another with 80k, it just depends on how their looked after and driven.
    '99 noggy blue S4 / '84 mk1 Astra GTE turbo

6th Gear

Status
    I would think you could get that for near 2500, with that sort of mileage it's going to put alot of people off so his market is going to be pretty small. However if it's been looked after then Motorway miles at 60mph is only about 2000rpm in 6th and so the engine is probably going to be better than a car with 1/2 the mileage and raced to 6000rpm.

If you can do the work yourself, like bushes, mountings and cambelts etc etc then it's a good car.

Personally I've seen and bought recently a newer and considerably lower milage s3 for the same money, although it needed some work which I can do so made it profitable. There are bargins out there if you look and be patient. If 3000 is all you have to spend and really want an S3 then this is the car for you, however if you have a little more money and can be patient then hold on, I'm sure you'll pick one up soon enough.

1st Gear

Status
    my two pennies worth :-) i actually buy higher mileage models out of pure choice. to me, ten year old car with 40k on the clock equates to a car driven for short journeys... not good at all! buy her, just keep a bit of money put aside just in case something goes wrong.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    For any prospective buyer, I think you should buy to keep or convert to track toy or something. @300k miles+, you are asking the question if the mileage is too high? Come selling time, you will ask yourself the same question again, and it may prove difficult to sell on.... In my opinion, that's not to say the car is not going to be a good runner, I'm currently driving a 155k miler myself.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

It's not f@cking ORANGE!!!!!

Status
    I'm currently driving a 155k miler myself.
    Which incidently drives very. very well!
    JAFFASPORT - 2001 Facelift, 218/237/216bhp AMK, Absolute Red, Thrashed to Death, Car Park Dents Everywhere, Kei Flux's, Knackered Shocks, Scuffed Rear Bumper and in need of a good Hoover!!

BLACK EVO BEATER -2001 Facelift, 349bhp AMK, Ebony Black, Blue Seats, 4 Wheels, Brakes, Exhaust, Headlights, Sh!t loads of boost and up for sale!

RGV 250N - Bloody fast and loads of fun........I get wet a lot when it rains....

Neutral

Status
    it would something id be running into the ground not to arsed about resale value and like its been said ive driven some 70k cars that feel complete rats compared to this.

what about wheel barings etc

the main problem is my micro budget I was initial looking for a 1.8T and found that 1.8T models with 60-80k go for about the same money as S3s with around 100+k and the S3s generally have better service history and have been better looked after even though they have higher miles

I have 4000 to spend but looking at the millage of cars around this price i may aswell spend 3k and leave a grand for the just incase/mods fund
    1992 Cavalier SRi 8V RIP

4th Gear

Status
    Id say go for it, it has clearly been well maintained and as others have said motorway miles are good news, if it drives and feels ok buy it. The chances are it has had most of the things that age on a car already replaced so could well be in better order than many a lower but unmaintained car.
    Last edited by sportquattro; 23rd December 2010 at 18:34.
    1999 Audi S3 Superchips remap, Forge 007p, Phatnoise, Black Diamond Discs & DS2500 pads, N249 Deleted, Badger 5 TIP, Poly dogbone bush, Bilstein B8's and Eibach Springs.

1986 Audi Coupe Quattro 2.2 restoration project

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    its a huge credit to the car/ our cars

6th Gear

Status
    that is impressive!

Check for:

Haldex oil/filter change
    Clutch
    turbo
    perished hoses around engine bay

1st Gear

Status
    agreed. looks like ull be owning an S3 this weekend. be quick tho, at that price i may be tempted myself :-P

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Looks good mate, also looks well maintained, so maybe a worthwhile buy, come selling time, you will be thinking and so will prospective buyers just the same as you are now, however, at that price, you can afford to run it till it dies, you are getting ALOT of car for the money.