S3 how many miles is too many miles?????

stu_b

Reaction score
2001 AUDI S3 S3 Quattro 3dr Hatchback

Found this a couple of days ago though the millage maybe a miss type contacted the seller and went to view it. Its absolutely mint full stealer history receipts for everything even changed bulbs and the same owner from new! Its just the millage that makes that puts me off big time but should it? and what sort of things would I have to look out for?

WOW that's some distance. I think that's a forum record...

Well, to be honest mate, all usual rules apply. Cambelt history will be important. I wouldn't let the mileage put you off too much if the thing drives well and the engine is reasonable.

Usual engine checks when viewing a car apply - oil leaks, jizz under the oil cap and in the water. Keep a good listen out for clunks and bangs when test driving.

I would suspect that 85% of those miles have been motorway miles if it's been one owner - motorway miles aren't bad for the engine, and put very little strain on it.

Its had 5 cambelts!!!
Felt tight as a drum to be honest pulled strong all the way through the rev range.
Will need a new front bumper as it looks like its been following a gritting machine for the majority of its life!
The interior is a joke the passenger and rears look like no ones ever sat in them!
Lets hope santa delivers a christmas bonus! Anyone want a low miles 1.6se ;)?!

Its had 5 cambelts!!!
Felt tight as a drum to be honest pulled strong all the way through the rev range.
Will need a new front bumper as it looks like its been following a gritting machine for the majority of its life!
The interior is a joke the passenger and rears look like no ones ever sat in them!
Lets hope santa delivers a christmas bonus! Anyone want a low miles 1.6se ;)?!

OK, so she's good to drive, obviously been looked after, and been a rep mobile all it's life. F**k the mileage, go for it IMO.

Yeah, go for it. Probably no less likely to need major expense spent than my 76K miler.
Less than £3,000? Never seen one that cheap that didn't say CAT D at the end of the ad...

to be honest, the engine will go on and on if it has been looked after, however, you must be prepared to spend more money on it's up keep compared to a lower millage model.

Silly things will be on their way out such as relays, bearings, and even some major components such as the suspension and clutch may be on their way out if they've not been changed / over hauled

Just be prepared to sepnd some money on it (i'm not saying you will have to, but you might have to)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, my suspension is pretty shot and it's at 76K.
Bushes and rubber bits will be ****** if original to the car - but with a full stealer background these things should've been done already (some will have been done 2 or 3 times i'd imagine!).
If cambelt has been done recently and clutch feels ok just go for it and save some pennies every month for up-keep.

Effin' 'ell it's been to the moon and back!!!! Offer him £2750 - I think it's worth buying if it's cheap enough although you could probably buy one with half the miles for around £4500.

Good luck if you do buy it :)

I bought a 2001 95k miler with tonnes of history and electric recaros for £4050...

300k miles x 27ish mpg now thats a lot of petrol lol
I would guess at that mileage it's had at least one turbo and clutch and most likely most suspension parts changed.
If she drives nicely and everything feels as it should I cant see a problem with it, I've owned several s3's and one which had 140k on the clock was far tighter than another with 80k, it just depends on how their looked after and driven.

I would think you could get that for near £2500, with that sort of mileage it's going to put alot of people off so his market is going to be pretty small. However if it's been looked after then Motorway miles at 60mph is only about 2000rpm in 6th and so the engine is probably going to be better than a car with 1/2 the mileage and raced to 6000rpm.

If you can do the work yourself, like bushes, mountings and cambelts etc etc then it's a good car.

Personally I've seen and bought recently a newer and considerably lower milage s3 for the same money, although it needed some work which I can do so made it profitable. There are bargins out there if you look and be patient. If £3000 is all you have to spend and really want an S3 then this is the car for you, however if you have a little more money and can be patient then hold on, I'm sure you'll pick one up soon enough.

my two pennies worth :) i actually buy higher mileage models out of pure choice. to me, ten year old car with 40k on the clock equates to a car driven for short journeys... not good at all! buy her, just keep a bit of money put aside just in case something goes wrong.

For any prospective buyer, I think you should buy to keep or convert to track toy or something. @300k miles+, you are asking the question if the mileage is too high? Come selling time, you will ask yourself the same question again, and it may prove difficult to sell on.... In my opinion, that's not to say the car is not going to be a good runner, I'm currently driving a 155k miler myself.

it would something id be running into the ground not to ***** about resale value and like its been said ive driven some 70k cars that feel complete rats compared to this.

what about wheel barings etc

the main problem is my micro budget I was initial looking for a 1.8T and found that 1.8T models with 60-80k go for about the same money as S3s with around 100+k and the S3s generally have better service history and have been better looked after even though they have higher miles

I have 4000 to spend but looking at the millage of cars around this price i may aswell spend 3k and leave a grand for the just incase/mods fund

Id say go for it, it has clearly been well maintained and as others have said motorway miles are good news, if it drives and feels ok buy it. The chances are it has had most of the things that age on a car already replaced so could well be in better order than many a lower but unmaintained car.

Last edited:
that is impressive!

Check for:

Haldex oil/filter change
Clutch
turbo
perished hoses around engine bay

agreed. looks like ull be owning an S3 this weekend. be quick tho, at that price i may be tempted myself :p

Looks good mate, also looks well maintained, so maybe a worthwhile buy, come selling time, you will be thinking and so will prospective buyers just the same as you are now, however, at that price, you can afford to run it till it dies, you are getting ALOT of car for the money.