looking to buy an a3 in january and need advice

4rings

Reaction score
hi all had an audi a3 a few years ago and loved it. so its time for another.

im looking at either a fwd 1.8t or the 180bhp quattro. what things do i need to watch out for?? apart from the 4wd and more power is there any extra's you get with the quattro that you dont get in a fwd?

i have about £3000-£3500 to spend

I bourght a 1.8 Turbo 2001 full sevice history 115,000 non quattro, in september very happy with it.

A few little problems, but nothing I could not fix my self from doing a bit of research on this Forum which I find is very very good and there is always someone willing to help.

thought about the Q but after reading alot of reviews its no faster as the weight of the Q system cancels out the extra 30 bhp the grip might be better but with the ESP I have had no problems with grip. Came back from Birmingham yesterday night, roads were a mess but felt safe and had no problems with grip.

But it's your choice at the end of the day. Good luck and I would say when you go and look at a car test everything more than once. Make sure the idle is steady take your time and dont let the current owner rush you if they want a sale they will wait.

for that money Id look at a nice 1.8t sport. Just hold out for one with all the decent optional extras and decent service history

for that money Id look at a nice 1.8t sport. Just hold out for one with all the decent optional extras and decent service history

yep thats a good shout mate. Take ur time as theres loads out there! anything around 100k is average right now be wary of anything much under this. Also be sure to do mileage checks anyway as there were alot of these used as rental cars and company lease cars etc

ull get a nice facelift one for £3500 2001 with all the toys.

Hi mate,
Thought I'd add my own two pence into this one. I was in a similar situation as you a few months ago, and it was basically 1.8T v 1.8T QS. I've read various opinions that the QS isn't much faster, but 7.9 v 7.3 secs 0-60 is still half a second all the same: probably not noticeable in day-to-day driving though. Also, with the Quattro, you're a little more future-proofed if you're looking for go-faster mods. In terms of kit, with the QS you get K03S turbo, and can't speak for the rest but I got rear parking sensors and climate control. I did see some with heated leathers, etc at the time but my budget didn't quite stretch to those.

Anyways, hope it helps and good luck with the search.

Danny

i'd deffo get a quattro, i don't think i will ever buy a fwd or rwd car since owning a awd

u get the k03s in the aum engined a3's aswell remember. And try launching your 4wd lol if u dont get it perfect ull be beaten by a saxo. once moving its good fun and around bends etc.

thanks for your replies been a good read. and i see what your saying with the quattro being more future proof in terms of power mod's. i would realistically want to see around the 280-300hp sort of mark and tbh it would be beter to have the quattro as that power in a fwd car is a bit much im guessing??.

do the quattro's suffer with any problems?? ive heard nightmare stories in the past.

davea3's right: ur car is only as good/fast as the driver! going from a impreza, to a golf, to an a3 quattro, and using my missus' mini cooper once in a while, i would swear by 4wd for traction. each to their own tho, i can imagine good tyres and traction control would help keep the power down on even a fwd a3.

as for problems... im a strong believer of the idea that a lot more people mention problems about their car as opposed to praise them: plenty of car owners around who simply wouldnt even read let alone sign up to a forum. ive read stuff about differentials going, but in my experience its more stuff like longitudinal/latidutudinal sensors going that are the bigger problem: the longitudinal sensor cost me £108 new and I was fortunate enough to be able to re-code it myself to save me blowing even more on it!

anyways, my two penny's worth, im sure ull make the righ decision!

yeh that is true i guess only the problems arise on forum's really as to praise. well i think i will just see what is about when the time comes. if its fwd or 4wd im not to fussed as long as its tidy,well looked after e.t.c

Make sure the car doesn have any electrical grimlins...they seem to creep up on many 8Ls thesedays due to its age! Some are pain in the neck to fix.

as above really, check all the electrics, don't rush into the first one you see like i did, made a big mistake

i got a 1.8T "sport" now. paid £2300 for it

full leather interior,A/C, ect.... mint con in and out, full audi service history, new clutch and cam belt. 72K on the clock

auto trader i found was the best place, do get some good bargains on there, just gotta keep checking

nice little deal you've got yourself there jay. i picked up my a3 quattro 1.8t with 113k on clock, fsh, with climate control, rear parking sensors, and audi concert for £2100. as for electrics, i'll second that. :)

My old one sold on ebay the other day for £900. Bargain. Good car she was, was tempted to buy the thing back!

thanks for your replies been a good read. and i see what your saying with the quattro being more future proof in terms of power mod's. i would realistically want to see around the 280-300hp sort of mark and tbh it would be beter to have the quattro as that power in a fwd car is a bit much im guessing??.

do the quattro's suffer with any problems?? ive heard nightmare stories in the past.

Not at all, if you get a fwd with a ko3s you will be looking at similar power, just without the haldex power losses. More to go wrong with Quattro and a bit higher service costs. Either way your only looking at a max of 240 bhp before you have to change the turbo. If you really want awd... Go for an s3 personally.

Not at all, if you get a fwd with a ko3s you will be looking at similar power, just without the haldex power losses. More to go wrong with Quattro and a bit higher service costs. Either way your only looking at a max of 240 bhp before you have to change the turbo. If you really want awd... Go for an s3 personally.

which ones came with the ko3s?? and yeh autotrader is a good place. as per usual the exact car is on there for sale. but as always dont have the funds yet :(