don't be tempted to do doughnuts in the snow....

C

colicabcadam

........... because your steering pump will go! i didn't know that the pump couldn't handle full lock at a high rpm for too long !!!

i have no power steering at slow speeds, i'm not the only one with the problem either lol, it's global! you've been warned!!

lol the trick is to just keep of full lock...had fun with mine for an hour yesterday with no probs....you really get the feel for the car and its limits..
after i finished, a guy could not get up a lane in a freelander (ice plus fresh snow) plus he was a bit of a **** like full revs....??? after waiting 10 mins he rolled it back while i steadily passed him .....his face was a picture...

lol, i had no idea it could cause problems, the only thing i thought would be put under pressure was the clutch / tyres, but considering it was pure ice, there would not have been any pressure because there was no friction...

oh well, my mechanic can change it when he does my air con compressor, i'm suprised how well the awd system works, so many people are against the haldex system!

I'll second that, mine went a bit heavy mid donut yestarday then felt a bit heavy for a minute but it seemed to return to normal, best double check it today.

Ewan.

Only problem i ever encountered last time in the snow was the clutch starting to smell, like Dave says keep it just off full lock and feather the throttle to keep it going.
Seems like most of you have some snow, theres none here in Derbyshire, yet, but its f**kin freezing, i did my CBT yesterday and the roads were scarily frozen in places.

snow or no snow you should never keep a car on full lock for long, i think the handbooks of most cars will tell you this.

Hmmmm. I chose to defy this rule....!!

Not much full lock there though... I was a good boy... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
These "people" that hate the Haldex are of the opinion it doesn't work properly. There is a certain admin on Cliosport (yes, I know that sums it up) that is a bit of a know-it-all and constantly berates my S3 for being a poor car.

If memory serves, I popped out for a curry last night in a foot of snow... his car has been off the road for weeks...

I have the uprated haldex unit on my s3 so as far as I am aware it is as near to a permanent 4wd as can be so I am not sure of the difference in handling between that and the standard haldex as I haven't driven a s3 with the latter. All I know is that it is brilliant when it comes to grip and snow. We live on a a pretty steep hill where cars constantly get stranded when it snows and the s3 just strolls us the hill. Turn off the traction control and apply some welly and it flys up it. Anyone that says that it isn't a good system is talking rubbish.

I can understand people knocking the S3 for its driver feed back and boring style when standard, but the haldex system works and has been brilliant in this weather. Mind you i've seen plenty of people who have no idea how to drive in the snow as well. People trying to pull of in 1st gear are starting to annoy me

Pulling off in 1st gear seems to be working for me in the snow!! am I a NOOOOOB?

I can understand people knocking the S3 for its driver feed back and boring style when standard, but the haldex system works and has been brilliant in this weather. Mind you i've seen plenty of people who have no idea how to drive in the snow as well. People trying to pull of in 1st gear are starting to annoy me

Lol same, does my head in people on sloaps or even on flat skidding all over using 1st. Use second and very little revs... simple i have fwd and this weather hasnt bothered her at all.

I drive around everywhere in the snow flat out with the handbrake on :p

it's not failled me yet :)

Fecked my pump in the Red car :(

I didn't realise it would kill it. No power steering at slow speed! :(

With the quattro is it best to turn off ESP? And also, to tackle slippery hills is it best to have ESP on or off?

Any pas pump will be killed on full throttle full lock combo, the rack is a ram and with it on it's stops and the pump at high rpm the fluid will just pressurise untill it breaks. Quite a few manufacturers state this in the handbook. Sorry for your loss, they ain't too cheap

not sure how this affects ours but a while back knew of a technique to knacker certain cars if you felt that way inclined...and that was to utilise full lock as often as possible to do exactly that - knacker the rack

With the quattro is it best to turn off ESP? And also, to tackle slippery hills is it best to have ESP on or off?

no conclusive answer to this, although i tend to turn it off if there is next to no traction or a layer of snow that wont move once you've driven over it...... esp off for getting onto main roads, then back on once on tarmac