Volks AutosChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

Airbag light on - fault code 17931/P1523 - anyone had this fault and knows a fix?

Air bag light just randomly blinked 4 times on my way home tonight (several minutes after starting the car), and the hazards came on. Got home and did a scan using vag-com, and came up with the following:

17931/P1523/005411 - Crash Signal from Airbag Controller: Implausible Signal

The fault won't clear. Strangely (to me!) I picked up the fault on the Engine ecu and NOT on the Airbag ecu.

Has anyone had this fault code before and knows how to fix it??

2. # ADS
    ADS

Chugger

Status
    Iv had a few airbag faults myself, but nothing along the lines of this...

Obviously a faulty sensor or something but I would be very cautious to even using the car, If a airbag goes off thats big money and a possible broken nose lol. There was a chap on here whos airbag randomly went off...

Have you checked the rosstech wiki?
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

Wana go Low gotta go Slow

Status
    Usually implausible signal faults is due to a very low/zero voltage on the sensor signal bus. You need to take take the sensor out in this case the airbag controller, IIRC its next to the gearstick, but please check with ETKA or ELSA just to make sure on your model of 8L. Either replace the controller, or take it apart and re-flow solder on the microprocessor and output pins.