Drivers door frozen shut from the outside........

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
For the last few days, the outside door handle on my car has frozen, the car will open after you've poored hot water over it then you can here it pop open. The car will open from the inside fine but just not from the outside. Ive sprayed WD40 into the lock but its not made a difference.
Anyone else having any trouble?

Its the handle linkage inside in the way it works. Adding water is making it worse as you are giving it something to freeze.

You need the door card off and to properly grease the link handle end.

I noticed today that mine heated up around the lock never knew that before

same thing here, just used mild-hot water to loosen it up.

both of my A3's does this and so does my mates A4, seems to be a common fault imo

Had this on the wifes Polo today as well, eventually got the door open, then it wouldnt ****** close!!!

Spent ages trying to get it sorted, got it done in the end, just needed warming up a bit.

Does the boot open? Maybe climb in the back and open from the inside Dukes Of Hazard style :idea:?

Or maybe just sleep in the car...:icon_thumright:?

Mine does it... strangely once i open and close the boot. The doors will open normaly

My doors have been fine. They were stuck but a bit of force and they opened no problem the boot on the other hand was frozen solid this morning it was about -14 in the night apparently. As mentioned warm water does the trick and i think de icer would work too although this might not in extreme temps.

put the key in and turn and hold, should warm up, if the lock is not fked
Do you mean the lock itself warms when the key is turned? Is there an actual heater element inside it or have I totally misunderstood?

I was unable to open the door on my B5 today.
It would open from the inside with out any issues or signs of sticking.
trying to open from the outside again nothing.

Drove to work and all is fine.

feature or fault?
I've never had this problem before.

I took it as the rubber edge was frozen to the body as when I pushed it from inside it snapped and opened

Last edited: