Volks AutosChris Nott
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4th Gear

Status

new clutch needed after remap??

Im seriously thinking of getting it remapped over xmas

AMD are doing their usual stage 1 map for Ł350 instead of Ł550

BUt who has needed a new clutch soon after getting it chipped?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

...Watching you!

Status

Re: new clutch needed after remap??

[ QUOTE ]
    jedi-knight83 said:
    Im seriously thinking of getting it remapped over xmas

AMD are doing their usual stage 1 map for Ł350 instead of Ł550

BUt who has needed a new clutch soon after getting it chipped?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody i know of on here... The standard clutch is fine as long as your not doing lots of launching out of junctions/away from the lights .etc! My A3 1.8T is running the standard clutch still (originally 150bhp) and now ~320bhp

Rich

Warmonger

Status

have just seen this and think im gonna get it done
    an extra 50 bhp sounds an ideal xmas pressie for myself
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

4th Gear

Status

i dont think you need a new clutch with a standard turbo

qstuning recommended an uprated mtm clutch with a big turbo kit cos they have had a few go after the upgrades - the new clutch is much lighter and smoother than the standard but a bit on-off - getting away smoothly in 1st takes a bit of practice.

Warmonger

Status

all booked up for 7-jan

am very excited now and wish i could have got it sooner but work commitments prevent it

350+VAT ( hahahhhhaa [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img] )

i cant wait !!

Status

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

350 + vat is a good price!

Warmonger

Status

Just been thinkg about my insurance re the chip that i have now booked

i spose its best to declare it - im up for renewal in may
    what is the general increase in premium that people have seen ??

I am 23 and zero no-claims currently paying 995 on A3 1.8T
    would be happy with a slight increase 100-200 quid
    is this likely or will it be more

Also anyone know if AmD offer the dual programme so u can reset to factory standard at will ?????
    what the extra cost ??

4th Gear

Status

amd offer the 'one click' which is similar to the revo sp1 but there is no discount on that so it will be Ł550 + vat

personally i dont think i'll bother telling the insurance... how will they know its chipped.. its not like its a visible add on??!!

Warmonger

Status

hahahahah yeah am considering that as a solution myself !!!

only way to know would be to plug it in i spose

5th Gear

Status

There were a few posts somewhere on the site about getting a new clutch after chipping and I metioned it in another thread.

This was what was holding me back. Sounds all good though.

Is the clutch on an A3 1.8T Quattro the same as on an S3 as if it is it should easily handle the power as it only goes up to about 220 anyway?

Rob

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    jedi-knight83 said:

personally i dont think i'll bother telling the insurance... how will they know its chipped.. its not like its a visible add on??!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't bother either but there has been many a thread suggesting insurance companies do indeed investigate. I don't see how as my dealer didn't even know my Golf had been chipped and that went through a multipoint check thing - new buyer got a nice surprise (claimed 232bhp by jabba)

Status

I would definately tell the insurance! What happens if you kill someone in an accident and your insurance becomes void and you get sued! not nice!

Rich.

5th Gear

Status

To anyone not considering telling the insurance...

you will void your insurance AND legal cover , the minute you dont tell them.

can you afford the costs of..

A. repair to your own car/total loss
    B.repair to third parties car/total loss, (remembering that there may be more than 1 other car involved)
    C. medical bills for your self.
    D. medical bills for third parties.
    E. loss of earnings for third parties if incapacitated. (they Will claim them back off you)
    F. worse case, if you kill someone, being sued/ legal cover

all this covered and legal for Ł200+ extra on your insurance.

Jedi, you appear to always want to do things on the cheap(i refer to the xenon thread) this isnt the way to do it.

those that are chipped without knowing it, (ie having been sold a car previously chipped) are propbably covered, uder the "to the best of your knowledge" bit in your insurance.. but bear in mind they can always go back to the previous owner and check. (before anyone thinks this is an easy get out)

But those publically, discussing getting chipped, without divulging it to insurance, AND having pics of said car and registration, and full name/surname readily available on the net, (Noggy Blue S3 Y209 U.. name from your email on your VR6 page...) isnt very wise.

The S3 is a cracking car when remapped, but please bear above in mind and fully insure it.

...Watching you!

Status

Im with Paul on this one... add up the potential cost of an accident... You could easily excees Ł200K in a bad one if it was caused by you... Now compare this to the few ŁŁŁ extra insurance will cost you and there you have it. Its not worth the risk.

Rich

Neutral

Status

i had a bad accident in my S3 - over Ł6500 worth of damage and they didnt check for chips so there you go!! other insurance comps may be different

Warmonger

Status

agreed when u think of it like that

what have u guys seens as a general increase in premium after a remap ??

...Watching you!

Status

Expect about a 30% increase

Rich

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    MasterMofo said:
    agreed when u think of it like that

what have u guys seens as a general increase in premium after a remap ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine went up Ł150... Went from Ł700 to Ł850 but considering the difference it made it was totally worth it!

Reverse Gear

Status

Can I just jump back to the remap Q?

It sounds like an absolute bargin...!

But I have a 1.8T sport with nearing 146,000 miles on the clock..(X-fleet car & full Audi history) and its always ran fine since I got it 40,000 miles ago. But i'm very wary of remapping it? what do you guys think? Anyone out there got anything similar?

6th Gear

Status

may we ask how much you insurance is now rich [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

If you have the like of an AmD one-click though how would anyone know if had been chipped at some stage anyone know if it is still detectable?

I don't think ill bother with the chip till my insurance start quoting me happy - to$$ers! they have you stitched!

I cant use my no claims off the 911 for the S3, but the points i amassed on the S3 policy also happen to affect my 911 policy??? WTF???

It seems they can have it both ways!

Status

When the AMD program is loaded then it will be detectable. When you unload the program and upload the standard program back to the ECU then it shouldn't be traceable.

Does that make sense?

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    khufu said:
    may we ask how much you insurance is now rich [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been raped for the rather obscene amount of Ł2200 for a year. Elephant the cheeky f*ckers robbed me of a years NCB from a misunderstanding (which i believe was their fault) so im only on 1 years NCB. Still, i guess given the mods and my age, it could be worse.

Rich

4th Gear

Status

******. im not after doing things on the cheap. but when there are ways to save money i will take them.

From experience an insurance company would not check if the car has been chipped. my dad ran a body shop for 5 years and they basically check that its got 4 wheels and its the same colour and the engine is that same (i.e not been swapped for a porsche engine) and then sign off the quote.

from the sounds of it the work AMD do isnt even adding any hardware.. its just changing the code on the ecu so even if the insurance company take the ecu apart there is no evidance of any changes being made.

and regarding them looking at forums for info on mods on a car, well im just doing research incase i do think about doing it arent i. or did i miss the disclaimer saying everything on the forum is factually acturate and will stand up in a court of law!?

insurance companies take too much anyway.. im taxed, insured and passed my test with is 100% better than some [censored] in the road so not telling mr insurance that my car is a little quicker than before is hardly a crime.

oh and the xenons are being sorted by audi but thanks for the concern you showed!

anyway back to what i originally asked

sounds like i dont need a new clutch then....

Status

Good job your the Richest man on the Forum Rich! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    khufu said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been raped for the rather obscene amount of Ł2200 for a year. Elephant the cheeky f*ckers robbed me of a years NCB from a misunderstanding (which i believe was their fault) so im only on 1 years NCB. Still, i guess given the mods and my age, it could be worse.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats very reasonable rich. Get this, its Ł150 to have the GF on the 911 porsche policy even though she only has 2yr NCB (i have full) she's 25 (im 30) and she cant drive for [censored]!

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    DickyS3 said:
    Good job your the Richest man on the Forum Rich! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

nearer the poorest at the moment! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif[/img] Roll on pay day! Thieving fu*ckers! (see my post in general chat!)

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    jedi-knight83 said:
    ******. im not after doing things on the cheap. but when there are ways to save money i will take them.

From experience an insurance company would not check if the car has been chipped. my dad ran a body shop for 5 years and they basically check that its got 4 wheels and its the same colour and the engine is that same (i.e not been swapped for a porsche engine) and then sign off the quote.

from the sounds of it the work AMD do isnt even adding any hardware.. its just changing the code on the ecu so even if the insurance company take the ecu apart there is no evidance of any changes being made.

and regarding them looking at forums for info on mods on a car, well im just doing research incase i do think about doing it arent i. or did i miss the disclaimer saying everything on the forum is factually acturate and will stand up in a court of law!?

insurance companies take too much anyway.. im taxed, insured and passed my test with is 100% better than some [censored] in the road so not telling mr insurance that my car is a little quicker than before is hardly a crime.

oh and the xenons are being sorted by audi but thanks for the concern you showed!

anyway back to what i originally asked

sounds like i dont need a new clutch then....

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img]

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    12bMe said:
    Can I just jump back to the remap Q?

It sounds like an absolute bargin...!

But I have a 1.8T sport with nearing 146,000 miles on the clock..(X-fleet car & full Audi history) and its always ran fine since I got it 40,000 miles ago. But i'm very wary of remapping it? what do you guys think? Anyone out there got anything similar?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd give AmD a call and ask for their advice! Not really sure about this sorry.

Rich.

1st Gear

Status

12bMe,

My comment is that presuming you've had your 1.8T for 4 years at least (given it's at 146k it must be near that as a min)...it must have had at least one cambelt change (115k max). If it's on non variable servicing and it's all been stamped it should have been regularly oil changed (every 10k). I believe the 1.8T lump is very strong in principle easily good for 150k probably more like 200k without work. I suppose putting a well bedded engine under further stress a good percentage in to its predicted life is statistically never a good thing....but, if it was thoroughly fettled at chip time i should imagine you could get to 200k no problems....just advance all the servicing a notch i.e. get that cambelt done again soon if it's anything over 70k on the current one. All IHMO of course, and i'm no mechanic...but as said above talk to AMD, QST etc to see their experiences in similar situations

Reverse Gear

Status

Cheers people think that prob the best idea.

Neutral

Status

Well I've book my car in for the 7th Jan for the upgrade. The way I see it is that even if the insurance company did find out the ECU had been re chipped which would mean sending out an engineer with all the relevant computers to trace this than they have to prove you were in the knowledge of it being on the car. How many A3's S3's do you think are sold each month with out the new owner knowing of any upgrade? If people don't know then they can be found guilty. I'm sure my insurance company asked me to answer to the best of my knowledge what mods had been done and to my knowledge none!

One other thing if inurance company's were to go to these lengths then would they pull you up for things such as the wrong tyre manufacturer to what audi had orginially offer on the car at purchase, cheaper pads on a service etc there all changes?

Warmonger

Status

Roll on 7th Jan !!!

Roll on 7th Jan !!!

5th Gear

Status

MasterMofo,

Your Avatar kick ass!

Warmonger

Status

hahahaha u like !?!?

il be bustin similar moves on 7th Jan i tell ya !!
    itll be hammertime in Bicester

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    jedi-knight83 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

This is largely true of most accidents where there is not personal injury. Consider, however, if you are unfortunate enough to end up in an accident where someone is seriously injured or dies (i.e. a third party).

You can be guaranteed that the Police accident investigation will be exceedingly thourough and if there are undeclared mods to be found the most likely will be. If your insurance gets wind of this then you have no insurance to pay for your damagem the 3rd party damage and any personal injury / compensation claims (which in the case of the death of a young employed family man can be well into 5 figures.)

If you can't afford the insurance, you certainly can't afford the mods, no matter how small the risk.

4th Gear

Status

if i am unfortunate enough to kill someone i think insurance will be the least of my worries.

5th Gear

Status

What about uprated hoses and DV's which add no power, do they have to be notified?

4th Gear

Status

what about putting replica 18" rs4 wheels on??

oh and for those that dont care about the insurance [censored] feel free to comment on my original question of clutch's

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast