air escape ?

jay1601

Reaction score
hi,

for the past few days it sounds like its got a bird under the bonnet (annoying whistling noise)

opened the bonnet today, i can hear air leaking from somewhere near the turbo/DV/intake pipe

is there any common faults near this area

also sometimes it will also idle at 1200-1500RPM (not all the time)

not sure if this is linked at all

thanks for any help/info

Jay

Its very regular and common for the pipes under the bonnet to perish and deteriorate, it could be one of many, just do a feel/visual check, it cleary sounds like there is a vac leak somewhere....

Spray some carb cleaner around the area, if you notice the revs changing, you may be able to find the leak a little easier.

still reading -20 to -24 on the boost gauge

would the standard DV leak air ?

still reading -20 to -24 on the boost gauge

would the standard DV leak air ?

Possible, but it's the change in revs that's interesting. Typical of a leak.

I would recommend replacing all the hoses in that area. Good practise anyway to avoid future leaks.

Right so i am thinking 98 a3 1.8t's shouldnt make a kinda whistling noise on idle?

NO they shouldn't. From experience check the air inlet pipe - which is past the MAF unit. There is a crankcase breather return pipe which comes into this main moulded pipe from the side, check that there are no splits in the region of this join. At this point the air is unmetered - so the mixture will be very very lean . I know - I had 8 new exhaust valves about 2.5mnths ago. Check the condition of the other hoses from the crankcase breather - the oil vapour will degrade the hoses (excess oil vapour is probably worn valve guides).

Hope this helps.

good info Hatchs3 i will check mine asap

:icon_thumright:

Ditto, thanks Hatchs3 i will do the same although its a wee bit dark now.

Hey jay, Same a3's me and u gold and 98 and 1.8t....... :)

Yep lol

Is it more liquid yellow than gold? i aint sure, but it certainly aint yella!

Actually bout u and i having same year etc, have u had a remap? and was it an **** to get done? as i have had problem after problem getting it done but just waiting for revo to sort right harness out for my ecu. I have the agu lump.

mine is 1999 (T)

its being remapped after xmas

but i am not going to Revo, i'm going up to R-tech to have it done, cheapier and get alot more for your money

i found out the problem.

fitted my Forge 007P today, as i took the vacuum pipe off the top of the DV, i noticed the hose was split where it joined the metal rail from the inlet manfold.

replaced with a silicone hose, and its stopped the air noise.

Good stuff, glad you got it sorted mate.