Crack in block :-/

motfree

Reaction score
thought the water pump had gone but after having the garage on the phone this morning its definatly not !!
got a small crack in the block on my s3 so its either fix or strip ..
anyone got any ideas where i can find a new block ? been told the 1.8t engine is the same just turbo , injectors and bits are different ..

please help haha

Bad news dude.

Not strictly true to be fair. The APY/AMK/BAM blocks have more webbing and strengthening in them in the block itself.

HOWEVER, that's not the end of the world. Any 06A block should be fine.

Speaking from experience, I am running an AGU block in my S3 with a K04 Hybrid turbo. Its done getting on for 20K since rebuild and now problems thus far. The AGU has the same forged crank, and rods & pistons.

Normally easier to source a complete engine and just use the block, rather than source a block itself. Shop around, I got a complete AGU for £450 delivered (with no ancillaries). You can then sell the bits you don't need like the head etc, as the large port heads sell as people want them.

Breakers yards are the best place to phone - make sure you get the 06A block from the transverse engines though - preferably from an Ibiza, Leon, A3, MK4 Golf.

Not a nice job to do though.... :(

Last edited:
AUDI S3/TT BAM ENGINE BLOCK on eBay (end time 18-Dec-10 11:07:53 GMT)

is this any good ? see the thing is might strip it so engine needs sorting out to sell .. but if you only paid £450 then mines only bound to be worth 1k with everything isnt it ? or they worth more ?
cheers

Depending on what that actually goes for on auction end, that could well be a bargain to be fair mate.

I saw it, but suspect it will go for reasonable dosh...

Yeah, S3 engines fetch good money. Seems to vary dependant on demand as you would expect.

ill keep my eye on that one but give a few scrap yards a ring might come under some luck :-D
well there was an s3 engine including box , shafts , ecu , loom , turbo , injectors basically everything and that went for £1600 .. but maybe the best place would be on here and ebay after christmas haha ..
what kind of a ball ache is it to get the lump out then ?

Block coming out isn't too bad to be fair. It's undoing stuff and dropping it out....

Getting back in on the oher hand.... Not fun.

If it's not going back in then it's easier as you don't have to label the plugs or anything like that.

yer see what im thinking now is gt28r haha found a cast iron manifold for £280 and can get a newly recond gt28r for £250 then uprate the injectors etc .. what kind of bhp return you rekon ?

yer see what im thinking now is gt28r haha found a cast iron manifold for £280 and can get a newly recond gt28r for £250 then uprate the injectors etc .. what kind of bhp return you rekon ?

Depends on the exact spec of the GT28 mate to be fair, there are a lot of different flavours of that turbo out there.

Also, it's not just slinging it on and off you go... there is a LOT of custom fabrication work required for that sort of work.

found a 1.8t engine but its not an s3 motor would this have the same internals ?? its only £300 and a garage has said £800 for motor swap ( putting turbo , injectors over ) and cambelt change .. but not too sure about internals

I have a complete working AGU for £450. North London pick up.

Would I need to swap the internals from my s3 ( apy ) engine over to the agu engine ??

Would I need to swap the internals from my s3 ( apy ) engine over to the agu engine ??

Yes, but I wouldn't bother. Rods, pistons and crank in the AGU are identical to the APY. 20mm wrist pin rods in both.

Plus, using the original AGU pistons means you don't have to worry about the rings not sealing to a foreign bore properly.

found a 1.8t engine but its not an s3 motor would this have the same internals ?? its only £300 and a garage has said £800 for motor swap ( putting turbo , injectors over ) and cambelt change .. but not too sure about internals

Depends on the actual engine. Anything which has the 19mm wrist pins is a no no. AUM is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

There used to be a very very useful 1.8T info sheet on here in the stickies, but it no longer is working annoyingly.

EDIT: Some of the 1.8Ts also have VVT on them. Your APY will not. This isn't the end of the world as you are planning to swap the heads over as well.

Many of the 1.8Ts don't have the hole in the side of the head for the SAI pump to run to. Your APY will have SAI and therefore will need these - unless you delete it like I did.

Last edited:
So is it just the bigger turbo , injectors , and different map that gives the apy an extra 60 bhp than the agu engine ??

Engine comes: block + head + inlet mani+ alternator + AC and a few other bits. let me know if you still interested. can be picked up in north London.

I have in my garage a spare BAM bare block that has a crack in the lug where one of the engine mounts bolts on. I was told by many an engine company that it could be welded and would be fine... However i bought a new block from audi,
The block has been honed and check for any other problems and its fine.
If its of any use???
I can post a picture if need be

Got a motor for £200 with inlet manifold ..
Just out of interest how much did you pay from audi ??