Bizarre door creak...

PreacherCain

Reaction score
Right - time to leverage some expertise from you characters... Over the last few days, I've noticed a rather worrisome squeak (well, noise. Not really a squeak) from the driver's door on my A3. it only happens on broken surfaces (like South-east London's pitted, war-torn tarmac), and it sounds like the whole door's wobbling. It almost sounds like it's not shut properly, you can hear the rubber draft-strip squishing.

I've had a look at the door, and it seems solid - no play in the hinges or anything. Am mystified. Please help before I slide into terminal confustion...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I seem to remember something along these lines... IIRC u can get a silicone lubricant from audi but costs like £30/bottle....

anyone remember?

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
MO-S3 said:
Rich.
Why not ??

Oh i wouldnt get any of that silucone stuff on ur paintwork if i were you !! Its a bitch to get rid of and bodyshops despise the stuff!! WD40 is silicone based too u know !! and it doesnt cost £30 !!

[/ QUOTE ]

MO, Why not wot?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rich

I thought that WD40 was silicon free. Says so in the tin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Audi's silicone lubricant is indeed just over £30 for a small bottle. I know 'cos I've just bought some!
I have also been looking for a more permanent solution and have found that some modified window seals are available. These cost about the same as the lubricant, so I have bought one to try.
The seal is the one attached to the top of the door and around/inside the window channels. The new type seals do not have the felt type stuff on the top where they meet the roof.
Seems to have cured the creak so far, but only time will tell!

Well, I had a poke about in the door at the weekend. There's an awful lot of stuff in there, isn't there?... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Still, nothing apparently loose in there, so I put the panel back on.

It does sound like a seal, to be honest, and subjectively the sound seems to be coming from just next to my right ear, which woul dbe consistent with the known door-seal noise issue. I shall raise it witht he dealer at the first service and see what they do. They've been ****** good so far, I had a knackered dashboard mount after about 3000 miles which they found and fixed in half-an-hour, so I have high hopes... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Many thanks for the suggestions, chaps...