Volks AutosBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

Bizarre door creak...

Right - time to leverage some expertise from you characters... Over the last few days, I've noticed a rather worrisome squeak (well, noise. Not really a squeak) from the driver's door on my A3. it only happens on broken surfaces (like South-east London's pitted, war-torn tarmac), and it sounds like the whole door's wobbling. It almost sounds like it's not shut properly, you can hear the rubber draft-strip squishing.

I've had a look at the door, and it seems solid - no play in the hinges or anything. Am mystified. Please help before I slide into terminal confustion...
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status

Re: Bizarre door creak...

Wasn't something mentioned in a different thread about lubricating the door seals or something to stop them squeaking? Could it be this?

Alex.

...Watching you!

Status

I seem to remember something along these lines... IIRC u can get a silicone lubricant from audi but costs like 30/bottle....

anyone remember?

Rich

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    MO-S3 said:
    Rich.
    Why not ??

Oh i wouldnt get any of that silucone stuff on ur paintwork if i were you !! Its a ***** to get rid of and bodyshops despise the stuff!! WD40 is silicone based too u know !! and it doesnt cost 30 !!

[/ QUOTE ]

MO, Why not wot?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Rich

6th Gear

Status

I thought that WD40 was silicon free. Says so in the tin [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

Audi's silicone lubricant is indeed just over 30 for a small bottle. I know 'cos I've just bought some!
    I have also been looking for a more permanent solution and have found that some modified window seals are available. These cost about the same as the lubricant, so I have bought one to try.
    The seal is the one attached to the top of the door and around/inside the window channels. The new type seals do not have the felt type stuff on the top where they meet the roof.
    Seems to have cured the creak so far, but only time will tell!

Reverse Gear

Status

Well, I had a poke about in the door at the weekend. There's an awful lot of stuff in there, isn't there?... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Still, nothing apparently loose in there, so I put the panel back on.

It does sound like a seal, to be honest, and subjectively the sound seems to be coming from just next to my right ear, which woul dbe consistent with the known door-seal noise issue. I shall raise it witht he dealer at the first service and see what they do. They've been bloody good so far, I had a knackered dashboard mount after about 3000 miles which they found and fixed in half-an-hour, so I have high hopes... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Many thanks for the suggestions, chaps...