Condensation in front lights?

fod

Reaction score
worthless.gif

Went to wash the car on Saturday for the first time in a couple of weeks and noticed that both headlamps and one foglamp had condensation inside. Now this is peculiar because I've never had this problem before on any of the lights. The cars always worn headlamp protectors and there are no stone-chips so I'm a bit puzzled as to why they would suddenly mist-up like that?

Any ideas?

Althought the lights are 'sealed', they are also vented. Go uot, take a look now, i bet that the condensdation has amazingly disappeared /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Oh right - seems really peculiar to just happen like that. Plus sealed and vented is a bit of an oxymoron!

Had noticed it a few days earlier but had just assumed that it was condensation on the underside of the headlamp protectors (not uncommon) and it was only when I took them off to wash the car that I realised it was actually inside the lamps themselves.

Well a couple of hours driving around yesterday with the lights on seems to have cleared one headlamp but the other still has some moisture in it in the bottom inner corner.

if you remove the plastic cover over the back of the lights (assuming xenons here although i imagine standard lights are the same) if you look down at the bottom of the opening you can see the vent under the bottom of the reflecting housing.

Either drive around on a dry day for a bit with the plastic cover off or get a hairdryer in there and dry it out.

Mark

I had the same thing in my drivers side light and it was down to one of the clips on the back cover being broken, resulting in the seal not being tight and this let in the moisture.

Got Audi to replace the cover for free (they broke it) it dried out and no probs since /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I had a fair amount of moisture in my drivers side headlight about 1 year back, ..it occured in the autumn time after a particularly long wet spell. The moisture stayed there for a good 6-8 weeks, and it was affecting the beam since it was on the inside of the acrylic lens..but eventually dried out with use of the lights. Stealers confirmed this is common and to be expected, and that is was not preventable since they are designed to allow airflow in and out of the units. The fix as already stated is get your hairdrier on it, or since mine was never that bad, just go out and drive and it will go.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif