Volks AutosSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

S3 drives like a pig at speed in ice/snowy conditions??

hi chaps,
    as the title suggests, i have an s3 it obviously has the haldex 4wd system on it

i was just wondering if anyone else stuggles to drive their car at speed in ice/snowy conditions?as mine is a bit of a pig to be honest!

when i hit a slightly icey piece of road i can feel the car shifting the power about causing the car to twitch and become unstable at times - i can noticably feel it at speeds over 40mph and worryingly it even happens when im completely off the throttle

its quite a concern as a couple of times now i have been driving at 70mph down a dual carriage way and the back end starts twitching badly and feels like it could spit me off the road at any moment.

just wondering if this is the norm for these cars??

2. # ADS
    ADS

tku
    3rd Gear

Status
    Try slowing down?

OK seriously dude its terrible weather at the moment..why on earth would you want to drive at speed in this weather? the 4 wheel drive ain't gonna do a thing different compared to my 1 litre yaris in the braking department either!

tku
    3rd Gear

Status
    I drive like a grandma in this weather.

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    4 wheel drive isn't going to help you stop at them speeds on snow and ice
    Was 531bhp 8L S3 thats going to break the 600+ bhp Club then break something else. Lets see what this OD HTAGT3582r can do
    My S3 Twists Drive shafts for fun.

FOR SALE
    Sparco Torino 2 sport seats
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts
    , relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Try turning the esp off....

S3X

Status
    Try changing your driving style to suit the road conditions, if your doing 70MPH down icy dual carriage way's you are asking for trouble, all it takes is for 1 person to pull out infront of you from the inside lane and you in the S**T. Slow down.

Other than that if your car is shifting the power about to much you may have an issue with you haldex controler, just a guess.
    52 plate S3 / Ming Blue / 60K / Celtic Tuning Re-Map, Allegedly 278 Bhp-256 lb/ft (not proven/no chance)

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CammadyTami View Post
    здравствуйте, давно искала такой форум. всем спасибки, отдельное спасибо админам)
    see even he says slow down

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    hi chaps,
    as the title suggests, i have an s3 it obviously has the haldex 4wd system on it

i was just wondering if anyone else stuggles to drive their car at speed in ice/snowy conditions?as mine is a bit of a pig to be honest!

when i hit a slightly icey piece of road i can feel the car shifting the power about causing the car to twitch and become unstable at times - i can noticably feel it at speeds over 40mph and worryingly it even happens when im completely off the throttle

its quite a concern as a couple of times now i have been driving at 70mph down a dual carriage way and the back end starts twitching badly and feels like it could spit me off the road at any moment.

just wondering if this is the norm for these cars??
    I am glad to hear you find that the handling of a car at 70 mph in snowy/icy conditions is worrying. But i am quite concerned that you feel the need to question the capabilty of the car rather than the speed you are attempting to drive at. I think the general consensus is slow the f'#k down
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status
    Yes clearly innapropriate speeds. Ive experienced the same when suddenly hitting an icy patch. Not sure whether it was the haldex or esp but it was very easily controllable.

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

S3 Drift King!

Status
    I had the back come out in my Mk2 Golf driving @40ish on a dual carriageway in icy conditions, and that has no Haldex. A bit of opposite lock with a steady throttle corrected it, then I dropped to 30mph lol.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

1st Gear

Status
    guys!!! im not driving like a twat so the slow down comments arent really necessary...honestly i am driving to the road conditions

when i say icey/ snowy conditions im meaning a very small amount of slush if anything - sorry if i didnt explain myself correctly, for example i was driving down the a1 the other day, snow started falling and i noticed it was settling on the road as slush so i eased of the throttle as it was twitching at 60-70mph(which was just keeping up with traffic, was wasnt blasting past everyone in the inside lane) i slowed to the point that artic lorries were overtaking me whilst i sit there in the inside lane wondering why my car is all over the road whilst others are driving fine??

needs to scratch the itch

Status
    I travelled from where i live in derbyshire to leek in staffordshire last sunday morning for a tae kwondo competition and on the roads i was on it was pretty bad conditions foggy icy snow/slush on the roads so i was doing about 40ish on a national speed limit road and the back end of mine kept on twitching about, not a nice feeling but controlable all the same, but i need 2 new rear tyres as mine are almost down to the markings now, i put my experience down to worn tyres, not saying its the same for you but just a thought.

1st Gear

Status
    nah ive got nearly new kuhmo ku31 tyres on the car...cheers for the suggestion though mate

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Tyre pressures??

Status
    Oh and if they are directional, are they the right way round??

1st Gear

Status
    i check my pressures frequently but will do so again tonight, all tyres are round the right way

Status
    OK cool.....you just never know sometimes...lol

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Worn ball joints can make the car twitchy as fook.....

1st Gear

Status
    had them and all the suspension bushes checked recently

Neutral

Status
    have you had the tracking checked? is the car lowered? steering rack and track rod ends worn?
    18" RS6 reps / fk wheel spacers 15mm 20mm / revo stage 1 / forge 007 diverter / Jetex cone air filter / EBC red pads.

It's not f@cking ORANGE!!!!!

Status
    This is interesting as my Red car drives brilliantly in these conditions, esp ON and everytime it starts to slip, the esp pulls it straight, no problem. And if we're going down the 'driving like a twat' route, it's more than capable of handling anything I've thrown at it (obviously making allowances for the fact that stopping is a completely different issue!). The Black car with the uprated Haldex is a bloody nightmare! It doesn't feel planted and makes me feel extremely uncomfortable doing anything over 25mph as it keeps trying to swap ends every 2 minutes and doesn't like slippery corners at all!! ESP ON or OFF!!
    JAFFASPORT - 2001 Facelift, 218/237/216bhp AMK, Absolute Red, Thrashed to Death, Car Park Dents Everywhere, Kei Flux's, Knackered Shocks, Scuffed Rear Bumper and in need of a good Hoover!!

BLACK EVO BEATER -2001 Facelift, 349bhp AMK, Ebony Black, Blue Seats, 4 Wheels, Brakes, Exhaust, Headlights, Sh!t loads of boost and up for sale!

RGV 250N - Bloody fast and loads of fun........I get wet a lot when it rains....

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobyra View Post
    This is interesting as my Red car drives brilliantly in these conditions, esp ON and everytime it starts to slip, the esp pulls it straight, no problem. And if we're going down the 'driving like a twat' route, it's more than capable of handling anything I've thrown at it (obviously making allowances for the fact that stopping is a completely different issue!). The Black car with the uprated Haldex is a bloody nightmare! It doesn't feel planted and makes me feel extremely uncomfortable doing anything over 25mph as it keeps trying to swap ends every 2 minutes and doesn't like slippery corners at all!! ESP ON or OFF!!
    yeah you are right pm me your best price about that uprated haldex....even exchange.....lol

Status
    PMSL Dave. It's not for sale! LOL
    JAFFASPORT - 2001 Facelift, 218/237/216bhp AMK, Absolute Red, Thrashed to Death, Car Park Dents Everywhere, Kei Flux's, Knackered Shocks, Scuffed Rear Bumper and in need of a good Hoover!!

BLACK EVO BEATER -2001 Facelift, 349bhp AMK, Ebony Black, Blue Seats, 4 Wheels, Brakes, Exhaust, Headlights, Sh!t loads of boost and up for sale!

RGV 250N - Bloody fast and loads of fun........I get wet a lot when it rains....

1st Gear

Status
    Rob, are you still on the original rear springs and if so have you checked them recently? I drove round on broken ones that had snapped (common fault) for a while before i realised. Massive oversteer the whole time because the rear arb was ineffective. Its actually quite hard to see the rear springs have snapped and audi missed it at the MOT too although i know thats not saying much!

Worth checking tracking too.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobyra View Post
    yes that sounds very similar to whats happening with mine...if i drive on a icey straight road at like 30-40mph it just doesnt feel right i can feel the back end snaking about - other have been in my car and can report the same

could it be a sticky rear caliper??

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
    Rob, are you still on the original rear springs and if so have you checked them recently? I drove round on broken ones that had snapped (common fault) for a while before i realised. Massive oversteer the whole time because the rear arb was ineffective. Its actually quite hard to see the rear springs have snapped and audi missed it at the MOT too although i know thats not saying much!

Worth checking tracking too.
    tracking has been done recently however i do want to get a decent 4 wheel aligment done

its on new lowering springs should should be fine

IGI
    Neutral

Status
    esp off !

Status
    I think mine's more likely to be either a mismatch of my front tyres or the uprated haldex controller tbh Rob, although it could be a combination of both. Have you got matching tyres??

1st Gear

Status
    yeah mine are all the same

Status
    How odd mate? Just jack it up and check the obvious then buddy. Tyres can be funny old things too

thats me

Status
    mine felt twitchy when the fronts needed changing but the rears were like new but they are 235/19. felt bad if I hit boost but expected that. I was driving on 8inch of fresh snow, first on the roads one morning

ESP must be off for getting up hills
    red to red black to black blue to bits

On Boost, ish.

Status
    Sounds like you're out of washer fluid.

1st Gear

Status
    hi mate,
    for your own piece of mind, when not hook up vagcom and do a fault check for the AWD? i vaguely remember an issue with the longitudinal sensor possibly affecting the AWD too. good luck either way!

Danny

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dany2k View Post
    hi mate,
    for your own piece of mind, when not hook up vagcom and do a fault check for the AWD? i vaguely remember an issue with the longitudinal sensor possibly affecting the AWD too. good luck either way!

Danny
    good point, think i'll give that a go