Big Port Heads

Pat

Reaction score
Well after stripping down my block we have decided to go with Big Port Head,,

Which engine codes are they found and can anywhere recommend where to find one...

The AGU has a large port head. Someone on here has it, forgotten who though, but i remember reading it in their sig!

AGU and AEB are large port... I have an AEB head on mine...

<tuffty/>

How do you guys manage to install the AGU port head on the S3 as it sits the other way around compared to our standard ones?

How do you guys manage to install the AGU port head on the S3 as it sits the other way around compared to our standard ones?

ermmm... not sure where you got that info from bud but to put it bluntly, thats bollux!! :)

The AEB head I have on mine started off life on a 1998 A4 and had no VVT.... that technically was 'sitting the wrong way' as the A4 is inline rather than transverse... lol

All 20v turbo heads are interchangable, don't know for sure about NA 20v heads although I think compression is controlled by the pistons so should be ok...

<tuffty/>

Think hes thinking about the inlet manifold.

I think welly just bolted his manifold on as the boost is only going from small to large port so no hitting of walls

If it was the other way round then then there would be problems.

Tuffty used a reducer gasket

Ah, makes sense now :)

You wouldn't use the AGU inlet mani... As Andrew has said, bolt the S3 small port mani straight on or use a transition phenolic spacer gasket as I have...

<tuffty/>

Either of those head will work. But no point on going large port unless your making over 450whp since it only allows for more flow with reduced velocity while the small port has higher velocity but flows less. I run a AEB head on my A4 ATW block.

If you using a large port head with a small port manifold, you can use the transition gasket like 034 offers or try porting out the IM runner.

Ok thats for advise lads...

Next question whos got one???

Ive got an AEB head on mine. There is some small differences in the heads though.

The cambelt pulley on the end of the camshaft is different on the 058 blocks so you have to make sure youve got your 06A version. It bolts up directly to the later cams as theyre no different.

My head casting had a machined step on the side where the tensioning roller bolts up. Later heads didnt have this hence you have to install the little washer which is supplied with all new vag cambelt kits.

Just a few pointers ive noticed...

I havnt used a VVT chain tensioner for simplicity, plus i didnt have one to hand...lol

Whats the point???

Its not required, the early AEB heads came with the two step machined side. For the later castings they machined it flat and supplied a washer instead, most probs to cut down on machining costs.

The head doesnt sit the other way round just the inlet is on the wrong side but using a standard S3 inlet or Cupra R will put it on the right side for the pipe run

Those type of gaskets help slow down the heat transfer from the head to the IM, but over time the heat still reaches the same peak point since the heat still travels thru the bolts.

The nice thing is they allow the heat in the IM to drop more quickly once the car is turned off.

This is what I found when first trying out the NewSouth Performance gasket plus at the track while logging IAT readings before, during and after my 1/4 mile runs.

The one thing that I have not seen tested is how these gaskets effect cylinder head temps. Something I might start testing once I start going back to the track again.

you should'nt compare a newsouth with the phenolics.... newsouth way thinner
reduces heat soak, and improves recovery - bottom line.

pointless measuring cyl head temps... what are you going to do with them?

I have run phenolics for <12 years on various cars.. Always seen reliable induction temps as a consequence..

Audi dont stick inlet manifolds as coolers onto the engines.. they use the coolant system for controlling temps :)

The still travels thru the bolt since it is making contact between 2 metal surfaces.

Ok just for you I will order one up from 034 and do back to back runs at the track with both of them. I would offer to do it at my tuners shop but I dont know if Javad at 034 would let me do that seeing that he is my tuner. lol

I would rather do my testing on the track, just too much stress on the transmission making back to back runs on the dyno while making over 800chp.

No one puts IM's on the car to act like heat sinks, but the engine and IM doesn' know that which is why the temps travel from the head to the IM. Hell might even be why most car companies start using plastic IM's.

Last edited:
The still travels thru the bolt since it is making contact between 2 metal surfaces.

Ok just for you I will order one up from 034 and do back to back runs at the track with both of them. I would offer to do it at my tuners shop but I dont know if Javad at 034 would let me do that seeing that he is my tuner. lol

I would rather do my testing on the track, just too much stress on the transmission making back to back runs on the dyno while making over 800chp.

No one puts IM's on the car to act like heat sinks, but the engine and IM doesn' know that which is why the temps travel from the head to the IM. Hell might even be why most car companies start using plastic IM's.

LOL
plastic manifolds on the basis of cost...

bolt heads vs cooling..

I run mine on track, win races with it....
I dont think you will find a downside for fitting one.

enjoy

Well managed to find one so that's hopefully on the way.. Need to order valves springs etc etc

sorry to drag this up people but im guessing the exhaust manifold ports are the same size on big and small port??

sorry to drag this up people but im guessing the exhaust manifold ports are the same size on big and small port??

The exhaust ports on the LP heads are larger than SP heads but I believe the AGU K03 exhaust manifold is the same as small port variants... makes no odds on an S3 as they were all small port anyway

<tuffty/>

so to do the swap you need an agu manifold?? guessing you mean the agu manifold is the same besides it being matched to an agu head with bigger ports?

or we all have oversized ports on our manifolds essentially making all 1.8t manifolds big port?

agu manifold is large port to suit the agu head, the small port manifolds are by their name smaller ports than the large ports, but from what I've read its ok to use a small port manifold on a large port head (could use a spacer to match the 2 as detailed earlier in this thread) just not the other way around is it disrupts the airflow

pass on that then, but that would also depend on the turbo you had, for example an S3 with a KO4 (bearing in mind all S3 heads are small port) would have a different ex mani to a AGU car, but people still use AGU heads on S3's - maybe they get them opened up to match the heads

ko3 and ko4 exhaust manifolds are the same i think mate. just not sure if they are all large port regardless of the head or if i would need a agu exhaust manifold!?