Damp in the footwells

LD3

Reaction score
Past few mornings have found footwells more the driverside has damp patch. This morning looked like it had been quite damp. Any ideas?

Its an '03 S3 and excuse my grammar I'm using the phone!!

Do you have carpet mats and has it been snowing? These mats hold a fair bit of water from melted snow.

I get the same thing never worked it out looked all over 2 see if I can find where it's coming from.

Check that water cannot get trapped in the plenum chamber in front of the windscreen. Drains at each end of the plenum on the S3 with wide holes so shouldn't block up. On the A4 there is a massive problem with water collecting due to blockage of rubber grommets and then water overflows into the HVAC fan and down into the footwell.

Yeah I thought it might be the carpet mats holding water but this was too much and I hadn't driven since yesterday.

Pj-how do I check these grommets is just a matter of opening the bonnet?

I think there are just holes rather than grommets on the s3. Look in where the pollen filter goes. Yould could put the hose on the windscreen to see where the water leaves the plenum chamber, water might be getting in around the pollen filter itself?

I noticed this prob a cpl months back b4 cold snap and was only on drivers side , checked the plenum chamber no blockage , I been told its door seal on the driver side especially if your door has dropped a tad , all vw audis ive had in past suffer from same prob whats needed is new door hinge/s and possible drivers door seal , on the other hand could just be excess water from yer feet during this weather , truth be told not much to worry about if it does it next summer then fix it

If its the door seal then you can fix it quite easily and is probably a problem from the plastic window clips being replaced with metal ones (presume you have had these done as they break after 4 or 5 years).

The window frame is held in position by four bolts and these bolts can be loosened and the window frame lifted slightly. There is also a metal wedge on each bolt to help adjustment. Its a bit of trial and error to get a better fit but if you can hear air through the door area when on the motorway then some adjustment will sort it.

Reactions: westcoast a3