Xenon Level Sensor Rod Replacement?

coyle

From Show... to GO
Reaction score
hey guys, got the factory fit xenon's on my S3, and looked underneath, and on the passanger side there are two level sensor rods, one at front one at back.

the front one is bent, but not buckled, so im not sure if thats how it's supposed to be? or should it be straight?

and the rear one is snapped completely, so i need to know where i can get a replacement?
i think its affecting the headlight aim, as the lights are very low aimed, they dont light up much of the road infront of you, which makes sense if the rear rod is snapped.

any help much appreciated, cheers Jon

This is weird, I've literally took a picture of mine just then as it's bent, because someone posted there lights being low. This is likely the problem. I'm just going to straighten mine out. As for the other you should get one from Audi. Hope it's not much

yeh, but i read in another thread that it should have a bend in it, but cant find that thread so wanted to confirm it.
i want to get the back one sorted though.

and may then have to adjust the headlights manually if there still as rubish

The front rod is meant to be bent... don't try and bend it straight...

<tuffty/>

I thought so, i hope karl reads this in time haha

just need to find a rear one now!

could be dodgy motors then, could disconnect them and adjust the lights manually,

...the rear one is snapped completely, so i need to know where i can get a replacement?

Is it the arm of the sensor or the actual rod? the arm is easy to break if you are not careful when changing the springs on the back (which if yours is broken is how I suspect that happened as its not a part that breaks without human intervention)

...i think its affecting the headlight aim, as the lights are very low aimed, they dont light up much of the road infront of you, which makes sense if the rear rod is snapped....

Plausible, a scan of faults codes would also confirm this as I am pretty sure a fault code will be thrown for this..

Another common fault is the headlight adjustment motors... they stop working and the headlights aim low...

<tuffty/>

Is it the arm of the sensor or the actual rod? the arm is easy to break if you are not careful when changing the springs on the back (which if yours is broken is how I suspect that happened as its not a part that breaks without human intervention)

Plausible, a scan of faults codes would also confirm this as I am pretty sure a fault code will be thrown for this..

Another common fault is the headlight adjustment motors... they stop working and the headlights aim low...

<tuffty/>

from memory its the rod which is top to bottom. not the arm which the top attaches to.
i'd need to check again to be sure, as i just noticed it wen it had my sump off, so didn't give it a huge ammount of attention.

does any one have any idea of what the correct term for the part is? it would help to know what it's called when searching haha

My front one is completely broken, so I don't get any of the auto adjust when I get in the car. however when the tank runs low on fuel the left beam drops massively this affects the hi beam as well :( I have used Vagcom on it and I managed to move them up and down. which is a nice bit of kit :)

I think they are expensive, second hand around 50-70GBP for each one and probabily double that for new.

surely because its just my rod thats broke, and not the arm, i would just weld a tube/sleeve over it?

Old thread revival but I'm changing my front rod level sensor as my old one was snapped managed to get it fitted but can't see anywhere where the rod attaches any know where it goes?

Yeah it uses front and back to work out the level angle of the car so the headlights don't point to far up and blind on coming drivers or point to far down and not light enough road

Plus think their a mot failure

some previous owner junked my xenons and replaced with normal bulbs and manual adjusters didn't notice until I replaced the rear leveller - the front one had been cut off totally. I don't believe I have the washers in the bumper either. It certainly makes for a headache when driving fast at night with no street lights - I reckon I get 3 meters visibility with the lights on main beam :)