JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: S3 Boost Issue

  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    77

    S3 Boost Issue

    S3 Boost Issue
    Hi

    I'm having problems with my S3, basically its drives fine off boost but when i put my foot down in 5th/6th gear around 3K revs the car stutters a bit, the revs rise but the car doesn't go any faster for a second and then it goes again, but not quite as well as i expect it too. Its fine in the lower gears.

    Anyone got any ideas? I had one new coil the other week, so could it be that the others are on there way out?

    It seems to happen worse if the car is warm.

    Ben

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    bengal's Avatar
    3rd Gear
    Eskiv Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    537
    It sounds like the clutch is slipping from what you have said.....

  4. #3
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    77
    thats what it feels like , but its only when the car is warm and it isnt all of the time either, its also only around 3K it does this, as you get higher up the rev range its better.

    A friend had the same issue and the garage couldnt find what it was.

  5. #4
    Chugger

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Devon
    Posts
    2,716
    indeed does sound like a slipping clutch if revs rise but car doesnt go any faster
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

  6. #5
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    77
    Would the revs not just keep rising, and wouldn't this happen all of the time if it was the clutch? After 3500 RPM it seems to sort itself out a bit.

    In the lower gears if you floor it is absolutly fine.

    I could be wrong, but i dont think its the clutch.

    Car has only done 64K. Think im going to take it somewhere decent and see if they can diagnose it.

  7. #6
    bengal's Avatar
    3rd Gear
    Eskiv Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    537
    At the end of the day its your call we are just suggesting what it could be and it sounds like the clutch as there is no other reason for the revs increasing without the car speeding up. Whats happening is it slips and then catches grip again but it will get worse eventually and it will do it more frequently sorry for the vague explanation its the best i can do on here. Taking it to a decent place would be a wise move imo.

  8. #7
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    77
    no i wasnt being funny just got a feeling its not the clutch. if it was surely it would be worst when giving it welly in the lower gears, but now youve explained it i guess it could be the clutch guessing this isnt going to be cheap...

    Cheers for advice.

    Ben
    Last edited by bennn; 7th December 2010 at 20:55.

  9. #8
    Sandip's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    2,379
    Needs vag com bud, could be anything. MAF, temp sender, N75, camshaft sensor etc
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software


  10. #9
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    77
    Yeah i had a feeling it may need plugging in, i think i will take it Midland VW tomorrow if poss and see if they can find anything before i go chunking money at new parts

  11. #10
    bengal's Avatar
    3rd Gear
    Eskiv Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by bennn View Post
    no i wasnt being funny just got a feeling its not the clutch. if it was surely it would be worst when giving it welly in the lower gears, but now youve explained it i guess it could be the clutch guessing this isnt going to be cheap...

    Cheers for advice.

    Ben
    No worries i didnt think you were being funny . Get it checked out and let us know how you get on.

  12. #11
    Welly's Avatar
    VX220 SC Driver :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    10,695
    Quote Originally Posted by bennn View Post
    when giving it welly in the lower gears
    Don't give it to me in lower gears.... no no no. Then your clutch will deffo be shot! lol
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson





  13. #12
    Nilz's Avatar
    Defo worth the wait :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,092
    UH OH!!! I see another GAY thread coming along.......

  14. #13
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    Don't give it to me in lower gears.... no no no. Then your clutch will deffo be shot! lol
    Haha - 4500 and you can have it in whatever gear you want

    Took the car to bham yesterday and back and noticed that most the time it seems to manifest itself as a slight bit of hesitation around 3K RPM. The reason i dont think i notice it in the lower gears is because it revs so much quicker. Its dificult to describe, i couldnt get it in at a decent garage quick enough, but they said its sounded like coilpacks on there way out (i replaced one last month)

    I tried unplugging the MAF and it didnt run aswell and still had the same problem, so i dont think its that

  15. #14
    Welly's Avatar
    VX220 SC Driver :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    10,695
    Quote Originally Posted by bennn View Post
    Haha - 4500 and you can have it in whatever gear you want

    Took the car to bham yesterday and back and noticed that most the time it seems to manifest itself as a slight bit of hesitation around 3K RPM. The reason i dont think i notice it in the lower gears is because it revs so much quicker. Its dificult to describe, i couldnt get it in at a decent garage quick enough, but they said its sounded like coilpacks on there way out (i replaced one last month)

    I tried unplugging the MAF and it didnt run aswell and still had the same problem, so i dont think its that
    Could be a weak spark from a dodgy coil under heavy load. Not a bad place to start at least.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson





  16. #15
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    Could be a weak spark from a dodgy coil under heavy load. Not a bad place to start at least.


    To be honest for the sake of 75 and half an hour its probably worth me changing the rest of them anyway.

    Where is the best place to buy them from?

    Ben

  17. #16
    Welly's Avatar
    VX220 SC Driver :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    10,695
    Quote Originally Posted by bennn View Post
    To be honest for the sake of 75 and half an hour its probably worth me changing the rest of them anyway.

    Where is the best place to buy them from?

    Ben
    Get them from Audi ate is your best bet.

    I totally agree on changing them. At least, even if it's not the issue, you won't need to change them again for a good while.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson





  18. #17
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    Get them from Audi ate is your best bet.

    I totally agree on changing them. At least, even if it's not the issue, you won't need to change them again for a good while.
    Yeah its worth a go. Unfortunatly the car will going as soon as its sorted, but least its something that the new owner wont have to worry about i suppose.

    Thanks,

    Ben

  19. #18
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    77
    I replaced the remaining three coils with new ones from TPS and the car seems to run much better than before and the hesitation at 3K revs seems to have stopped. Result.

  20. #19
    DaveA3's Avatar
    Audi A-Trizzle!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    2,378
    Quote Originally Posted by bennn View Post
    I replaced the remaining three coils with new ones from TPS and the car seems to run much better than before and the hesitation at 3K revs seems to have stopped. Result.
    nice one mate!

    Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO