S3 Boost Issue

bennn

Reaction score
S3 Boost Issue
Hi

I'm having problems with my S3, basically its drives fine off boost but when i put my foot down in 5th/6th gear around 3K revs the car stutters a bit, the revs rise but the car doesn't go any faster for a second and then it goes again, but not quite as well as i expect it too. Its fine in the lower gears.

Anyone got any ideas? I had one new coil the other week, so could it be that the others are on there way out?

It seems to happen worse if the car is warm.

Ben

It sounds like the clutch is slipping from what you have said.....

thats what it feels like , but its only when the car is warm and it isnt all of the time either, its also only around 3K it does this, as you get higher up the rev range its better.

A friend had the same issue and the garage couldnt find what it was.

Would the revs not just keep rising, and wouldn't this happen all of the time if it was the clutch? After 3500 RPM it seems to sort itself out a bit.

In the lower gears if you floor it is absolutly fine.

I could be wrong, but i dont think its the clutch.

Car has only done 64K. Think im going to take it somewhere decent and see if they can diagnose it.

At the end of the day its your call we are just suggesting what it could be and it sounds like the clutch as there is no other reason for the revs increasing without the car speeding up. Whats happening is it slips and then catches grip again but it will get worse eventually and it will do it more frequently sorry for the vague explanation its the best i can do on here. Taking it to a decent place would be a wise move imo.

no i wasnt being funny just got a feeling its not the clutch. if it was surely it would be worst when giving it welly in the lower gears, but now youve explained it i guess it could be the clutch :( guessing this isnt going to be cheap...

Cheers for advice.

Ben

Last edited:
Yeah i had a feeling it may need plugging in, i think i will take it Midland VW tomorrow if poss and see if they can find anything before i go chunking money at new parts

no i wasnt being funny just got a feeling its not the clutch. if it was surely it would be worst when giving it welly in the lower gears, but now youve explained it i guess it could be the clutch :( guessing this isnt going to be cheap...

Cheers for advice.

Ben
No worries i didnt think you were being funny :icon_thumright:. Get it checked out and let us know how you get on.

UH OH!!! I see another GAY thread coming along.......

Don't give it to me in lower gears.... no no no. Then your clutch will deffo be shot! lol

Haha - £4500 and you can have it in whatever gear you want :)

Took the car to bham yesterday and back and noticed that most the time it seems to manifest itself as a slight bit of hesitation around 3K RPM. The reason i dont think i notice it in the lower gears is because it revs so much quicker. Its dificult to describe, i couldnt get it in at a decent garage quick enough, but they said its sounded like coilpacks on there way out (i replaced one last month)

I tried unplugging the MAF and it didnt run aswell and still had the same problem, so i dont think its that

Haha - £4500 and you can have it in whatever gear you want :)

Took the car to bham yesterday and back and noticed that most the time it seems to manifest itself as a slight bit of hesitation around 3K RPM. The reason i dont think i notice it in the lower gears is because it revs so much quicker. Its dificult to describe, i couldnt get it in at a decent garage quick enough, but they said its sounded like coilpacks on there way out (i replaced one last month)

I tried unplugging the MAF and it didnt run aswell and still had the same problem, so i dont think its that

Could be a weak spark from a dodgy coil under heavy load. Not a bad place to start at least.

Could be a weak spark from a dodgy coil under heavy load. Not a bad place to start at least.

To be honest for the sake of £75 and half an hour its probably worth me changing the rest of them anyway.

Where is the best place to buy them from?

Ben

To be honest for the sake of £75 and half an hour its probably worth me changing the rest of them anyway.

Where is the best place to buy them from?

Ben

Get them from Audi ate is your best bet.

I totally agree on changing them. At least, even if it's not the issue, you won't need to change them again for a good while.

Get them from Audi ate is your best bet.

I totally agree on changing them. At least, even if it's not the issue, you won't need to change them again for a good while.

Yeah its worth a go. Unfortunatly the car will going as soon as its sorted, but least its something that the new owner wont have to worry about i suppose.

Thanks,

Ben

I replaced the remaining three coils with new ones from TPS and the car seems to run much better than before and the hesitation at 3K revs seems to have stopped. Result.

I replaced the remaining three coils with new ones from TPS and the car seems to run much better than before and the hesitation at 3K revs seems to have stopped. Result.

nice one mate! :)