rear diff (haldex)

dantheman1986

Reaction score
right guys need someone that knows what their talking about when it comes to the haldex system. ive got an 2000 x reg A3 tqs and i have no 4 wheel drive. pluged the vag-com in an got this fault code:

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Control Module Part Number: 02D 900 554 B
Component and/or Version: HALDEX LSC ECC 0006
Software Coding:
Work Shop Code:
1 Fault Found:
01155 - Clutch
04-00 - Mechanical Malfunction

im guessing this means the haldex coupling is shot and i need a new rear diff right? is there anythin i can check or anythin else that could be at fault? there are no nasty noises or anythin coming from the diff, just what sounds like the abs goin mental when i spin the fronts.

also this whill be the second diff ive gone through in 4 years!! not good. thanks in advance for your help

Have you checked that the precharge pump is working ?

yea if you use activation test you can run the pump,stick your head out the window as its not that loud to hear.

Also as i said check your connections and redo the activation test to see if the pump is working,if all else fails then it does sound like a mechanical failure?

Do you do the diff and haldex oils?

thanks guys didnt think i could the the activation test without a fully registerd version of vag com, ill give it a go tomorro, what noise should i hear? a constant buzzin of an electric motor? or just a quick buzz then stop?

it should last for as long as you run the test 5-10 sec cant remember mate and yea its a motor you can hear.

Ive never had one apart but as its a hydraulic pump i would assume so,if you can test the pump and its working but yet you cant operate it via vagcom then its going to be the haldex ecu/control unit.

Have you checked to see if your earth strap has corroded? Connects the car to either the rear diff or the haldex unit, I cant remember which one it connects to but there are other posts about this being a common cause of failure of the haldex.
Paul

im not 100% sure but i think the pump should run with the ignition on.