VVT or not

Cheers Dean

Mines a 2000 X, whats yours mate?

s3's came in 3 engine codes;
APY;first cars all 210bhp
AMK;Overlapped with 210bhp
BAM;final engine code with 225bhp
I have a apy and i have the original brochure that came with the car it has VVT although it's mechanical rather than the later cars which is electrically operated for purely emmission reasons.hope that helps.

just checked mine and its AUM

well i think it is, too much wine after dinner and i couldnt remember the code 100% after getting back to the comp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

hmm ths isn't helping as everybody has different codes, is there a database that has all the codes and spec on?

this information seems incorrect as my apy engine has vvt as stated in the brochure for 1999.They don't seem too know what port the head is either??

[ QUOTE ]
Ryanc said:
this information seems incorrect as my apy engine has vvt as stated in the brochure for 1999.They don't seem too know what port the head is either??

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you mention it, even the AGU info is wrong as this engine type has an internal water pump.

I think I'll email him about it.

Oh, well.

Mine is an ARY as well, James. There was a thread on the briskoda forum that said ARY was non-VVT, but then there's nothing to say they're right!

Must be easy enough to look for the VVT solenoid connection? IIRC from my Golf Haynes manual, the VVT is actuated by moving a solenoid up underneath the chain (?) connecting the two cams together, to change their opening times relative to each other... Hmm, doesn't make sense now I think about it! Anyone got a Haynes manual handy?