Problems getting into my S3 in the cold weather/ice

Poke13

Reaction score
Website
www.jcwsdesign.com
Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Since the temperature has dropped and it has started to be icey my car on two occasions now the doors just won't open. The handle comes up but it is as if its not connected the door is just solid and still on the catch. The boot opens but I am not going to climb through there as you are asking for a world of pain on the leather!

The only way I've been able to get in is by using the remote key (once the windows are fully defrosted) and bringing the windows down (but my window has broken clips/motor/regulator so it was a b**ch to get back up!!) then using the inner handle which works fine, must overide the outer handle?? This morning I got into the car eventually, started it up then about a minute later had to take something back into the house then shut the door again, guess what yep now the car was running and the door was stuck with no remote to bring windows down again!! got in after a minute of warming up thank god!

WHAT A MORNING! :keule:

The car is going in to the garage today so will ask him to look at it as the door is being taking apart to get window fixed and a few other things like door window switch and speakers (i think the connection to the door is dodgy! grr).

Anyway lengthy I know but would be great to hear what you think!

I had the same problem with one of the rear doors on my old a3, the interior handle worked fine but the door wouldn't open from the outside.

I took the door panel off and noticed a small hollow brass looking cylinder laying in the bottom of the door, this had fallen out of the door opening mechanism so the exterior handle wasn't connected to anything, the cylinder is essentially a bolt that holds the joint between the exterior handle and interior mechanism. Put it back with a bit of areldite and bobs your uncle.

Obviously not exactly the same but worth ago just dont throw anything in the bottom of the door away! lol.

cheers mate, yeah well it is normally fine i think the catch must need some lubrication and possibly some vaseline covering the metal just for winter period.

I think the catch is freezing to itself then its just not pulling apart?

Hmmm could be that its too cold. I know that pulling the handle will activate the heated lock system.

I never knew about the heated locks either, crazy.

From the handbook (Page 12 in mine).
To activate the heated door locks, pull the door handle briefly. This works at temperatures below roughly 5 degrees C.
The heating stays on for a predetermined period of time, maximum of about 50 seconds. It is NOT possible to extend it by pulling the handle continuously.
Once the heating has switched off, it can be reactivated by pulling the handle again.

Edit Already posted

Last edited:
That is class! You have that on the 1.6 A3 too?!

Although mine are prob not working due to the wiring to the door being dodgy, the lights on the window switches have been flickering when the door is open and within the first few minutes of starting.