JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning

Thread: my vacuum woes

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status

my vacuum woes

Hi All,

I swapped my boost gauge over to a brand new one as i dropped my old one on the floor and it had a mind of its own. Anyway now i can see proper reading i realised last night that my vacuum is a bit all over the shop:

It starts at -20hg as normal

Then if i put a bit of throttle on idle or moving it goes down to -26hg then after a while it goes to -25hg -26hg bouncing between the two each time i left off the throttle. if i idle after a lil drive it sits at -26hg.

Does this mean i have a leak somewhere?

cheers

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Most probably i changed all the boost hoses on my old scooby had same prob cable tied them all up cured it.

What gauge are u running as some cheaper runs seem to flutter a bit my Led one(already on car when i bought it) on my Octy Vrs flutters a little
    Last edited by S3BAM; 30th November 2010 at 09:26.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    you can put a little reducer in the pipe that stops the fluttering

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    yeh i have the reducer and it does stay steady on the number its reading but it just doesnt sit nicely. i cable tied all the pipes a few months back i should get to see if i missed one anywhere. i think its the pipe off the manifold that has the check valve in between as i have a blue silicone one on instead as my standard one was split. I remember the originalone has a reducing pipe inside the end so its probably not as snug as that. hmm ill have a think and check it out later

cheers

Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Idle vacuum is less on initial start up as the throttle is held open more on cold start/fast idle until warm... the idle vacuum should increase once past that and will also increase when you let off the throttle as the ECU will close the throttle completely... you will see this for example if you are off the throttle going down a hill...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    Idle vacuum is less on initial start up as the throttle is held open more on cold start/fast idle until warm... the idle vacuum should increase once past that and will also increase when you let off the throttle as the ECU will close the throttle completely... you will see this for example if you are off the throttle going down a hill...

<tuffty/>
    ahh i see but would u say that -26 is still a leak somewhere?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    If you had a vac leak then I would expect the vac figure to be more positive than negative...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    hmm ok just strange how i can have more vacuum than normal lol

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA3 View Post
    hmm ok just strange how i can have more vacuum than normal lol
    Because by changing the boost gauge you fixed a leak?

<tuffty/>

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    Because by changing the boost gauge you fixed a leak?

<tuffty/>
    not that i mean i thought the standard vacuum was -18 to -20 but somehow i have more. guess im just being paranoid

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA3 View Post
    ahh i see but would u say that -26 is still a leak somewhere?
    Is it a cheapish gauge Dave? it may not be calibrated correctly...-26 would mean your rev counter would be showing 6/700 nearly stalling?

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    it was 40 not a cheap one at all really. At full boost it holds at 18psi and sits at 0 when off etc