Should i get a Golf Rallye? Will it be more fun than my S3?

S3 Paul

Reaction score
Ive been offered a Golf Rallye i nearly bought a few years back,
I test drove it back then and saw it dyno'd at just over 200 bhp.
Will the old school AWD feel more fun than the lazy haldex system??

To replace the S3 or to have as a weekend car? You are losing out on quite a lot of creature comforts to replace the S3 with one to be honest, but as a weekend car, why not, they are coming upto 20 years old now and still hold their value well, so to buy one as a keeper wouldn't be a bad choice.

As a second car hell yes but not as a first car there a little to old school but awesome fun to drive even tho most are left hand drive

You'd be surprised how many creature comforts you can do without when you're having fun.
That's coming from someone who drove an MG Midget daily for 8 years!

Im getting old now so i could never run one as my daily,
The problem is...
I already have a mk2 golf thats a hell of a laugh to drive and give sooo much in return. I think the problem is i always wanted a top of the tree mk2 to be in the unit at some point...

its a rallye how could you pass up the opportunity to own one you can never have enough of a good thing

This is the car in question...
Dazsrallyeedited.jpg

And this is the current weekend toy
mk2sittinglowedit.jpg

your mk 2 looks nice whats the spec? ive always had a soft spot for the rallyes tho so they always come out top that looks like a clean one to

My mk2 is a 2.1 16v with twin webbers and direct nos injection,
It was dyno'd at the same place and time as the rallye and made 169 at the wheels without the gas and was making over 280 on gas until the operator called it a day as it was trying to climb off the rollers.
Ive fitted G60 brakes to it and in my opinion it stops better than the S3 ( with brembos )

Im getting old now so i could never run one as my daily,
The problem is...
I already have a mk2 golf thats a hell of a laugh to drive and give sooo much in return. I think the problem is i always wanted a top of the tree mk2 to be in the unit at some point...

Well Paul, I'm guessing the car in question is around the £5k mark, maybe more dependant on state of tune and bodywork of course. It's not going to lose much money in the short term and probably go up in value in the long term, so if you're happy to shell out the cash for it, I say why not. My dream garage would have a Mk2 GTI G60 in Aubergine, but mint ones are so hard to find and I doubt I'd be willing to pay top dollar for one, so it will stay a dream, which will do me fine, as I have a Mk2 16v on the drive anyways for the odd blast - for now that is.

What spec are those Rallye's? Aspiration, drive train, power etc..

Don't know a lot about the old Golfs but theres a guy round my area with one.

love the white one Paul! is that a worked ABF motor?

I don't know what I'd do to be honest.....

If you had a simple KR'd mk2, I'd definitely say swap it, but yours sounds awesome.

What's the G-lader with 200bhp going to be like compared to your golf?

We all know that the 4wd system in the S3 kills the involvement. I wonder what the golf would be like?

The body work has faded a little since then and with it being a friend of mine i can manage a good deal.
So i could easy have it detailed and be well infront of you valuation

My mk2 is a 2.1 16v with twin webbers and direct nos injection,
It was dyno'd at the same place and time as the rallye and made 169 at the wheels without the gas and was making over 280 on gas until the operator called it a day as it was trying to climb off the rollers.
Ive fitted G60 brakes to it and in my opinion it stops better than the S3 ( with brembos )

That's good the hear, I have some G60 brakes in the garage waiting for me to tinker. :)

Do it and sell me more parts off your car :) haha.

Im a big dub nut myself. Rebuilt a KR 16v mk2, was a beauty. I always had a softspot for the rallye, prob about as rare as my current a3 actually :) Been in a tuned g60 raddo and the torque is mighty, but personally i think half the appeal and satisfaction of the driving mk2 is the character and delivery of the valver lump. Nothing like making her scream. Also anything with a g60 charger in it, i would be afraid of going pop.

No 1st hand experience of the syncro 4wd system, but its viscous coupling based so prob more "lazy" than the clutch based haldex.

G-smiles for the win!

If I could afford, it I'd swap my 20VT for a Polo G40 in a heartbeat...

(Then get a bollocking from the mrs due to lack of boot space/power steering etc.)

love the white one Paul! is that a worked ABF motor?

I don't know what I'd do to be honest.....

If you had a simple KR'd mk2, I'd definitely say swap it, but yours sounds awesome.

What's the G-lader with 200bhp going to be like compared to your golf?

We all know that the 4wd system in the S3 kills the involvement. I wonder what the golf would be like?

Yes its a ABF engine.
I had it rebuilt and over bored before fitting it as a replacement to the KR that was already in there,

We will see how it pans out but ive definatly shown my intrest

Rallye is a rare car, but old car also.
G-Lader is fragile, and costly

VC drive to rear end

Daily drive or another fun car?

It would be a fun car with an aim for it not to loose too much money.

I joked about putting a diffrent engine in it but that would probably spoil it for resale

I had those mims on my mk1 golf! Love the rallye, such a good looking car but looks like he's fitted sparco racing seats, would much rather have the half leather recaros.

The interia is complete and in his spare room. So it could go back to almost standard

No way, I'd keep the S3 and your current Golf! Though i realise the S3 isn't too involving so maybe thats your reasoning?