Sump plug won't budge

Ian W

Reaction score
Hmm, had two goes at trying to do an oil change on he S3 but the sump plug won't budge !

Any idea's of anything I can use to help free it up, how much pressure can I realistically put on this before it snaps or rips my sump apart due to my awesome strengh (i.e - my massive crack bar)

Are you trying to undo the sump plug while the engine is warm?
It made it easier when i did mine,
Try penatrating fluid around the nut... but ive never needed it realy

Yep, got it nice and warm last time I tried.

I've never needed anything on sump plugs in the past myself, normally quick turn with the ratchet and there loose. I've not done any service work on this car before so its not my doing thats its so tight !

as much presure as it takes to either free it or break it, a new sump cost me 38.99 from euro. but as a tip id replace the sump and while you have it off replace the oil pickup pipe as it hasnt had an oil change for a while and maybe slighty blocked.

First I wish you all the best. But how about you give it a go when the oil temp is high after driving, and use the same bar extended leverage. Make sure you are actually loosening it up not the other way around. It can happen when you are upside down

Get a blow lamp on it dude :)

Just make sure you have a spare sump plug when you do it as you don't wana be putting that one back in if it's causing trouble :icon_thumright:

indeed heat and the use of an impact driver should get it open. Worst case is a new sump which isnt a biggy.

If all else fails, drop the oil sensor out of the sump to drain the oil for now.

Thats a big **** sump plug

15 mile drive to get it nice and warm and some WD40 got this out this morning :)

Done a full service now except the fuel filter which doesn't want to undo on one side !

Tackle that tomorrow I think.

A slight tap in the tightening (clockwise direction) can often do wonders

15 mile drive to get it nice and warm and some WD40 got this out this morning :)

Done a full service now except the fuel filter which doesn't want to undo on one side !

Tackle that tomorrow I think.

Glad it's out dude. :thumbsup: