Engine Management light on, but car seems fine!?

Audiman99

Reaction score
Hi, just yesterday on way home from work, my car engine management light popped up and stayed on. I didn't pull over as the car drove fine and was 10 mins away from home anyway. Went out today to test and see if its gone but its still there. I've just done a quick vag scan and the following showed up...

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8N0 906 018 J
Component: 1.8L R4/5VT 0004
Coding: 10710
Shop #: WSC 78385
WAUZZZ8LZ1A079589 AUZ7Z0Y1733403
5 Faults Found:
17704 - Error in Mapped Cooling System (usually temp Sensor or Thermostat)
P1296 - 35-00 - -
17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)
P1297 - 35-00 - -
16955 - Brake Switch (F): Implausible Signal
P0571 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17863 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235): Implausible Signal
P1455 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
P1570 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

any ideas guys?

Thanks, Allan.

ok didn't realise i could google the codes lol. Seems the error in mapped cooling means I need a new temp sender again, replaced it only 6 months ago! The brake switch signal means I need to check the plug and twist it back in, if not then replace the switch.

Think the light on dash will go once the brake switch is sorted so its not as serious as i thought, thank god!!

The brake switch more than likely will not get rid of your light. Ive had a clutch switch fault popping up on vagcom that didnt trigger the managment light. Its more likely to be one of the other faults directly related to the running of the engine like the EGT.

the MIL will be on due to the EGT sensor.

Clear the codes down and see if the light goes out.

Then scan a wekk later and that will be what's currently wrong with the car, as some of the codes might be old ones

Last scan i did was a few months ago and I only had 1 error which was the 17863 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor and had no lights on dash.

Ill have a look at the EGT sensor as someone says if you remove and reseat it, it can fix the problem, so ill give that a go. Then ill clear errors and see how it goes.

Thanks

Last scan i did was a few months ago and I only had 1 error which was the 17863 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor and had no lights on dash.

Ill have a look at the EGT sensor as someone says if you remove and reseat it, it can fix the problem, so ill give that a go. Then ill clear errors and see how it goes.

Thanks

More likely to be the little black box under the inlet mani than the probe itself... check the plug by removing the trim panel in front of the inlet mani...

<tuffty/>

if egt sensor is going a bit "wiggy" it will fuel dump, so your fueling will go off scale rich when it does this, as it thinks, "oh **** its too hot, throw in all the fuel" in self preservation mode.. which will hurt your economy, as well as performance.

thanks ill try check 2moro at some point, depending on the weather.