EM TuningAH Fabrications
    4th Gear

Status

Alu mirrors... decisions decision

Whats the general concensus on aluminium mirrors?? YAY or NAY?

My thoughts are now split.. i didnt like them but am starting to like them more.

Were they an option when the car was new?

Are the actual aluminium cover section interchangeable with other audi's (s4, s6, rs range etc?)

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status

Re: Alu mirrors... decisions decision

They were a 500 ish option on the S3 but standard on the S8 (watch ronan!) and brushed ali on RS range! They are interchangeable throughout S3/4/6/8 IIRC.

Numptie of the highest order

Status

I thought the aluminium was an integral part of the mirror, probably wrong didn't have that good a look the other week when changing the glass (some sod stole it).

I think they are fantastic, makes the car look as special as it is, but not max power, classy!!!

Yes they were an option, and not a cheap one, think they might have been standard on pre-facelift ones, not sure though.

2nd Gear

Status

as you asked for opinions, personally i dont like it
    looks old and tacky

1st Gear

Status

No S car should be without them. If the alu ones are too blingy get the brushed ones. I suppose it all depends how much you want to stand out - imo the S3 looks far too much like a boring A3 without the alu mirrors and 18" wheels.

DO IT! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

4th Gear

Status

I already have them.. its whether i get rid of them or not

1st Gear

Status

I like chrome mirrors makes the car stand out that little bit more, although they dont suit a silver car IMO.

Mark

S3 Drift King!

Status

I wasn't too keen on the chrome look myself, until I bought these.

2nd Gear

Status

Do all of them come with that funny giant, who is nearly as big as a house, painted on them???? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img]

Brum brum

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    ImS3ola said:
    Hope you dont mind me posting this JCS356:
    I'm not too sure about it....

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries!
    Life would be boring if all our cars were exactly the same.

5th Gear

Status

a must on S cars IMHO.

Reverse Gear

Status

I know i'm new here but u asked for opinions... i dont like em think they look very tacky...

I know a lot of ppl would say that bout my current car but never mind lol

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    jojo said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    trekbiker said:
    Do all of them come with that funny giant, who is nearly as big as a house, painted on them???? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they do! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****_you.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Put me down for a pair then Jojo [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif[/img]

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    trekbiker said:

[/ QUOTE ]

ROTFLMAO ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img]

Personnaly I think they suit yellow and nogaro the best. I thought of putting them on mine (ming blue) but I thought they looked a bit bling!

They also draw attention to the car so I think it would only be a matter of time before some little scroat decides he wants to kick them off!

And also I couldn't cope with people thinking that I'm part of the Max Power brigade! There's too many saxos and novas around my way with chrome mirrors now!

Just my opinion.
    Rich.

5th Gear

Status

Yeah, they only suit Imola and Nogaro - true 'S' 'RS' colours [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif[/img]

Flame suit on! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

Disagree completely - don't see what the problem with the inpro ones are. However, I do think they would look tacky on anything other than an s / rs variant - most people wouldn't even know they weren't originals!

Status

I also can't see the problem with the inpro ones....
    There's not much difference between the original chromes to these covers.

Status

Aren't the InPro covers plastic?

You won't get the nice cool, classy feel of alumimium if they are...

Status

And we have all agreed that the cheap plastic replicas are terrible... They are made to fit onto calibra's too you know [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

imported_ashs3

[ QUOTE ]
    David R said:
    And we have all agreed that the cheap plastic replicas are terrible... They are made to fit onto calibra's too you know [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No we have not, the InPro ones are what we are talking about, I don't mind them and they are not that bad, they look better as I have said on Black S3's and considering they are 70 as aposed to 500 as an option or around 200 for ali covers off Ebay they are a bargain.

All down to personal taste at the end of the day, I am far from cheap and always buy the best, but when it comes down to saving money on a set of covers for my wing mirrors they don't come very high on my "what to sepnd my hard earned on" list. As for them being availabe for Calibra's, well I would not know as I would sooner boil my arse than own one [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

S3 Drift King!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    David R said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... yes, I've noticed the fit to be a little out, and obviously they wouldn't give me an orgasm like the aluminium genuine article ones. But like ashs3 says, I saved a few 's allowing for further improvements on other parts of the car [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img], plus these one's are less likely to get nicked! (touchwood)

Status

Why would anyone buy a classy car like an S3 and then add nasty, cheap, ill-fitting, chrome plastic covers?
    It baffles me... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

imported_ashs3

[ QUOTE ]
    Ess_Three said:
    Why would anyone buy a classy car like an S3 and then add nasty, cheap, ill-fitting, chrome plastic covers?
    It baffles me... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Again personal opinion, they are not that bad to call them nasty, and at 70 for a pair of plastic covers they are not exactly cheap are they? as for ill fitting, mine fit spot on with no gaps [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway don't you want a set for your Porker [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

imported_ashs3

[ QUOTE ]
    Ess_Three said:
    Nah...I'll leave them for the Max Power boys to fit to their Novas, Saxos and the like...oh, and A3s and S3s it seems! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ess_Three said:
    Nah...I'll leave them for the Max Power boys to fit to their Novas, Saxos and the like...oh, and A3s and S3s it seems! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's where A/S3's are now im affraid. Right in Max Power territory. With them being more affordable now its opened them up financially to the chav brigade. It won't be long before Peco release a Bigbore 4 for an S3 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!

5th Gear

Status

Just read other threads about members being also members of corsasport forums! - I rest my case!

4th Gear

Status

well it seems it has come down to a very simple thing....

my lady friend doesnt like the alu mirrors... so there coming off and colour coded ones are going on!

cheers

imported_ashs3

Now this is getting out of hand, just because I have put chrome mirrors on my S3 it is a chav mobile and I should read max power!

I don't think so, I have never had and never will own anything made by Burberry, have never been a boy racer and have never chaved up any car I have owned, I simply took a cheaper option for a set of mirror covers that is all.

I don't see anyone complaining about the yellow and orange A3's on here that have been smoothed out and have no badges or number plates (no offence to you two by the way just using your motors as an example)

Ess_Three you painted your alloys fu**ing grey for god's sake, does that not put you in the same boy racer category then?

IMHO that is worse than chrome mirrors!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****_you.gif[/img]

Status

I can't see whats wrong with these chrome mirror caps...

The aluminium mirrors were an option on the car. So saving yourself a few hundred pounds in cash to basically get the same look is worth it IMO!

I know they are not exactly the same but they are a good compromise for those who don't have big bucks to spend on mirrors!

Rich.

S3 Drift King!

Status

Yes, I confess, I'm a chav! Now where do I buy lexus style rear clusters from? lol.

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    nervus said:

That's where A/S3's are now im affraid. Right in Max Power territory. With them being more affordable now its opened them up financially to the chav brigade. It won't be long before Peco release a Bigbore 4 for an S3 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!

[/ QUOTE ]

nervus, it appears you and I are on the same wavelength...

Gotta keep one step ahead of the Burberry cap brigade!

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ess_Three said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    nervus said:

[/ QUOTE ]

nervus, it appears you and I are on the same wavelength...

[/ QUOTE ]

So it would seem [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!

I would like to appologise to anyone i may have caused offence too as this was not my intention. I used to think the polished mirrors on the Audi 'S' cars were classy - which they were. Now that they are available for every make and model of vehicle under the sun they now look tacky and 'Maxy P'. The cheap copies fitted on S3's cam probably be got away with as polished mirrors were an official option afterall. Its when i see peugeots and alike with them on with lexus lights and neons and illuminated washer jets and egg carton bodykits that i think its sad and only hope some of these twonks don't end up in S3's and give it the same treatment.

I don't even class them as 'bling' shouldn't bling be expensive and everyone knows it is??? They are just bad taste on the wrong vehicle. I wouldn't personally retro fit rep wheels and the cheap plastic mirrors and would probably do without. As Glenn suggests: your only kidding yourselves!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Stevie S3 said:
    Ah Glen,

see you are up to your usuall again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me?
    Surely not...

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the mension re mutiple exhausts btw. Nice to see I'm never far from your thoughts!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I had forgotten about your exhausts...but, since you mention it... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

You car, well your old one anyway, I would love to see how it would compare against a similarly tuned car. I.e map, fmic and exhaust, forgetting all the other things you have tinkered with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, since I had a generic APR map, a FMIC that added no power and an exhaust that also added no power, I would assume that in a straight line it would be comparable with other chipped S3s.
    This ties in with myself and Grant (ImolaS3) playing about...his AmD against my APR - very little between then in a flat out drag race.
    But the power delivery & set up make for quite different cars...

[ QUOTE ]

I mean, you have spent a long time sqeezing every last hp from the 1.8T,

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I didn't.
    I never even had the rocker cover off...

Now, my ABF engined GTI...that I am spending every last hour trying to get every last BHP out of it.

The S3 was only tuned with basic bolt ons...with the exception of a few bespoke pipes / hoses etc.
    Nothing radical there...

[ QUOTE ]

but I thought, being such a die hard, perfection seeking enthusiast, you would have just done it properly in the first instance, saved alot of time (at probably not much extra cost) and gone for a turbo upgrade?

[/ QUOTE ]

Valid point.

But, it was never going to happen...I don't like turbo cars.
    I don't like lag, lack of throttle response etc...so there was no way it was going to get a big turbo conversion...besides, I didn't want to lose torque low down, which I would have on most of the aftermarket conversions.

No, my S3 is a triumph of correct set-up...there's nothing exotic on it / in it, just many hours worth of testing and setting up. That's what makes it special.
    The suspension was perfect for fast road use.

You can throw money at a project until you are blue in the face...you can have all the power in the world, but if you can't drive it, and it isn't set up, it's a waste of money.

I could easily have had a big turbo conversion done (I spent well over 10,000 on it, over the cost of buying, in 3 1/2 years)...but it isn't a hobby then, is it?
    I wanted to play...wanted to get to know the 1.8T and the S3. Which I did. It's not all about big BHP...I'd take handling and driving ability anyday...

I guess the key here is how you define 'enthusiast'. In this instance, I wanted to do it all myself...set it up for me. That's my definition of an enthusiast...and handling / set-up is what I'm enthusiastic about.

But, at the end of the day...you can't polish a turd...and even with 400BHP...it would still be an understeery, unpredictable Audi....albeit a fast one (in a straight line).

To each their own of course...and I'm not aiming any of the above comments at anyone in person...I guess I just got to the point where I'd taken the S3 as far as I wanted to go with it. There were various factors involved in me getting rid...but in reality, the big turbo route was never going to happen.
    It was a very capable car...very quick...but totally uninvolving and unexiting....my Mk3 GTI is more fun to drive fast.
    That's why the GTI is still in the driveway...and the S3 has gone...

1st Gear

Status

Good response as always Glen.

What I can understand is, if you don't like turbo charged cars, why buy one?

I see your point also about not spending that much time on the engine, well when compared to your 199bhp Golf GTI (MK3 incase anyone was wondering) which is a acomplishment in its self. I've seen it, its a cracker.

As for the S3 being a turd, I would say this is a little harsh. Ok when compared to that of your new beast, resting in the stable, but when compared to other cars in its class, I would say overall there isn't much that offers such a complete package, at the time when it was introduce (to knock the R32 answer on the head).

Yes ok there are always this Jap stuff, that is faster and handles better, but thats if you can bear to sit inside something thats aswell put togeather as a nissan cherry.

Each to their own as usual, but I would say for the average driver with average (albeit they might not admit it!) skills, I think the S3 is competant for most.

imported_ashs3

[ QUOTE ]
    Ess_Three said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    ashs3 said:
    Now this is getting out of hand, just because I have put chrome mirrors on my S3 it is a chav mobile and I should read max power!

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a point....
    Sorry about that. I'd hate to offend any Revs or Fast Car readers by tarring them with the same brush as Max Power! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think so, I have never had and never will own anything made by Burberry, have never been a boy racer and have never chaved up any car I have owned, I simply took a cheaper option for a set of mirror covers that is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair play...but accept that they will be seen as both a 'bling' mod and a 'cheapskate' mod in equal measure, buy some of us on here.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't see anyone complaining about the yellow and orange A3's on here that have been smoothed out and have no badges or number plates (no offence to you two by the way just using your motors as an example)

[/ QUOTE ]

Look harder.
    The bling chariots you describe, resplendent in thier flip paint, proudly wearing chrome alloys with spinners, multipe massive exhaust pipes, multiple 12" subs, fully smoothed and dumped into the weeds such that any sign of the original meagre handling has long since left the building, have been fully assasinated over the years...

Personally, I'd have such embarassments crushed for crimes against taste.

[ QUOTE ]

Ess_Three you painted your alloys fu**ing grey for god's sake, does that not put you in the same boy racer category then?

[/ QUOTE ]

My age would suggest it's been a long time since I qualified for 'boy' anything.

I see you have missed the point...I feel I need to correct you:
    I did not 'paint' my wheels.
    I powder coated them.
    I powder coated tham grey to avoid having to wash them...you can't see the brake dust.
    Also, being powder coated, they need no maintenance...simply hose off every now and then...none of this polished / chromed [censored] here.

I also got rid of the original brilliant silver finish for a far some subtle anthrasite / dull silver finish...surely this is going against the ethics of 'bling'
    A sort of de-blinging, if you will...

[ QUOTE ]

IMHO that is worse than chrome mirrors!

[/ QUOTE ]

Alas, not to most others with even a hint of taste.
    Perhaps we should send the style police round to enlighten you...?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why thank you for the 'fcuk_you' [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****_you.gif[/img]
    A nice touch...

You know, since it's Christmas, I hear some of the shops are doing good deals on 'lifes'.
    You should get one. They're good.

Don't take things so personally...

Now pop outside and polish your chromed plastic mirror backs...just don't rub too hard...you may rub the chrome off....or break them, what with plastic becomming brittle in these cold temperatures!

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not taking it personally, hence the smiley face with his fingers up, did not realise this was used to say fu*k you either, thought it was a friendly up yours.

It just winds me up as these mirror covers ain't that bad and as said there are copies of the OEM ones, as for other cars wearing them we all know that those calibra's and nova's etc never had them as an option.

Did not realise you are old so being wiser you sprayed your wheels darker to hide the dirt and save cleaning them so often, good idea [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

As it is Christmas I went to Sainsbury's and bought my self a life, as you said they had a good deal on them.

So lets agree to disagree and leave it at that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

By the way I will always carry a tin of chrome paint in case I see your Porker anywhere, if I do I will spray the whole bloody car [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif[/img] (Joke by the way)

imported_ashs3

[ QUOTE ]
    jimboA3 said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    ashs3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

ORANGE !

Cheeky bastad! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

its RED ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img]

looks quite Orange in the pics though, nice colour combo with grey leather.

1st Gear

Status

Ha, ha,

I do enjoy reading these posts Glen.

Well, as long as the old S3 is top or the Turd Chart, I suppose I can live with that!

Oh, btw, I fixed my boost leak. A small u shaped hose off the throttle body. Car has been transformed!

As the car only gets used for play time now, I have to admit, I have been keeping an eye on the 993's in the classifieds, some are very tempting.

As for the Golf, is only a matter of time before the magical '200bhp' is achieved, that I'm quite confident!

Oh, on the subject of Golf, have you seen the 507bhp Mk1. Even my Mum thought it was increadable! Now thats saying something!