AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    90

    Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    I have had this problem for some time now and its really driving me nuts!!! I had my car remapped by Revo bout 6 months ago..

    Basically when I get to 3000rpm the car holds back and then all of a suddern kicks in...I was told this might be the DV...I have a new forge one and i have changed the springs but still have the prob..To be honest its been like it for such a long time ive got used to it, but my mate pointed out its really bad sometimes.

    Any ideas on how I can resolve this???

    Cheers

    Damo [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    Sounds like the AMM - Air Mass Meter (Sometimes refered to as MAF)

    Common problem. You can clean them but I would change it if I was you. Approx 80 exchange at your dealer!

    Cheers
    Rich.

  4. #3
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    90

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    booked in next week for audi to have a look!

    hopefully they wont notice the remap!!

  5. #4
    Mo-S3's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    706

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    Also check if the hose from the airbox to the turbo might be collapsing due to the extra boost. I had this problme but occurred around 5krpm. If you have the revo sps3 then try switching off the program and see if it still reoccurs.

  6. #5
    PaulRS3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    [ QUOTE ]
    DuncS3 said:
    No Paul thats your driving [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

    Dunc

    [/ QUOTE ]

    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****_you.gif[/img]

  7. #6
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    90

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    Sure, will do!

    Nest wednesday it is!!

    TOES CROSSED!!

  8. #7
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Leeds, Leeds, Leeds
    Posts
    69

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    Can you check to see if the airbox to Turbo hose collapses while stationary then? Is it easily visable or does it just collapse slightly?

  9. #8
    Post Whore

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,747

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    Not true David R,

    My MAF plays up on my N.A car and is always like this in this rev band.

  10. #9
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Central Scotland (where it rains alot)
    Posts
    144

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    [ QUOTE ]
    H3MSY said:
    Can you check to see if the airbox to Turbo hose collapses while stationary then? Is it easily visable or does it just collapse slightly?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Eh, no. Unless on a rr.

    Def sounds like the tip which ever way you look at it.

  11. #10
    DavidR's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,295

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    [ QUOTE ]
    neversaydie said:
    Not true David R,

    My MAF plays up on my N.A car and is always like this in this rev band.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    But your car is NA not turbo. They are very different and the problem above refers to turbo...

  12. #11
    Post Whore

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,747

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    Point is the mecahnics of the car are the same just the turbo isnt in the equation, so to summarise the problems are the same so which has a high possibilty that the problem is NON turbo unit related.

  13. #12
    DavidR's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,295

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    [ QUOTE ]
    neversaydie said:
    Point is the mecahnics of the car are the same just the turbo isnt in the equation, so to summarise the problems are the same so which has a high possibilty that the problem is NON turbo unit related.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Hmm...

    I would disagree. The proper functioning of the turbo is very much governed by the health or otherwise of the air mass meter. If this is malfunctioning then in my experience the most COMMON symptoms are that of global power loss secondary to loss of boost pressure.

    It is not impossible, of course, that a rogue MAF failure gives the symptoms above, but your man is asking for the most likely causes, and I would expect MAF failure to be progressive and global (as all of mine have been) or catastrophic.

    Of course this all depends on the objectivity and severity of "hesitation". My car hesitates very very slightly through the rev range, but I know it's in good health as all the most likely culprits are new / replaced / modified.

    In any case, it would certainly be worthwhile logging actual vs command boost pressure, the maf sensor readings and air/fuel ratio to give an indication of where the problem may lie.

  14. #13
    Drill's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Land of Good Beer, and better Roads :-p
    Posts
    928

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    Along the same lines.... on a high mileage 1.8T (Like, say 178k kms / 110k miles) HOW likely is it that the wastegate actuator could be worn to the point that it no longer holds boost?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I've got the same type of hesitation, but the MAF is only about 4 months old. And I've never before experienced the collapsing hose (Been chipped over a year). But I'm still at a loss to explain why I get hesitation, not to mention the feeling that boost is WAY under std. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

  15. #14
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    [ QUOTE ]
    Drill said:
    Along the same lines.... on a high mileage 1.8T (Like, say 178k kms / 110k miles) HOW likely is it that the wastegate actuator could be worn to the point that it no longer holds boost?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I've got the same type of hesitation, but the MAF is only about 4 months old. And I've never before experienced the collapsing hose (Been chipped over a year). But I'm still at a loss to explain why I get hesitation, not to mention the feeling that boost is WAY under std. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Have hesitation major style on my car now, so much so that I can't even be arsed to drive it much now! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Hesitation started at certain revs which would indicate a MAF problem in some instances but then started to get worse and worse. It now sounds like it's missing a cylinder at points, and as hard as I've tired I just cannot fix it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Everything external to the engine is good, as I have checked the MAF on logging, the coilpacks, sparkplugs, fuel pressure, injector pressures, operating frequences and flow, AMplifier, MAP, Cylinder compression and now all I have left is what I dreaded is that a hydraulic tappet is getting stuck occasionally.....as I really can't think of anything else.

    Yes Mike it's been like this since you were round at mine a while back, and just got worse until I'm really [censored] with it now! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif[/img]

  16. #15
    RichA3Turbo's Avatar
    ...Watching you!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earlsfield, London
    Posts
    5,087

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    [ QUOTE ]
    Gambba said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Drill said:
    Along the same lines.... on a high mileage 1.8T (Like, say 178k kms / 110k miles) HOW likely is it that the wastegate actuator could be worn to the point that it no longer holds boost?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I've got the same type of hesitation, but the MAF is only about 4 months old. And I've never before experienced the collapsing hose (Been chipped over a year). But I'm still at a loss to explain why I get hesitation, not to mention the feeling that boost is WAY under std. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Have hesitation major style on my car now, so much so that I can't even be arsed to drive it much now! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Hesitation started at certain revs which would indicate a MAF problem in some instances but then started to get worse and worse. It now sounds like it's missing a cylinder at points, and as hard as I've tired I just cannot fix it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Everything external to the engine is good, as I have checked the MAF on logging, the coilpacks, sparkplugs, fuel pressure, injector pressures, operating frequences and flow, AMplifier, MAP, Cylinder compression and now all I have left is what I dreaded is that a hydraulic tappet is getting stuck occasionally.....as I really can't think of anything else.

    Yes Mike it's been like this since you were round at mine a while back, and just got worse until I'm really [censored] with it now! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif[/img]

    [/ QUOTE ]

    You've tried MAF logging, but have you actually replaced it?

  17. #16
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    [ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said:
    You've tried MAF logging, but have you actually replaced it?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    It's about 4 months old, and I had Jabbasport check it over again anyway......the logging has consitantly showed it's air flow is good, and even disconnecting it doesn't help.

  18. #17
    FactionOne's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Preston
    Posts
    3,059

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    OK I apologise in advance if this is a) totally invalid and/or b) wholly-stupid as I'm technical specialist by trade, but alas not on cars - I only have a small knowledge of mechanics/engineering, and very little of that is specific to forced-induction engines; but I do have a skill for regurgitating little snippets of info...

    ...Disclaimer of ignorance over...

    A good friend of mine bought a UK2000 imprezza turbo a few months ago with about 70k on it, and we noticed a bit of an 'uncertainty' at a particular point in the rev-band (admittedly higher than 3k, but hey) - it turned out that the boost solenoid needed a bit of a clean, once that was done it was steady all the way up to the redline.

    Could something similar be causing the symptoms Damo's S3 has?

    Just a thought [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

    Regards,

    Rob.

  19. #18
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    [ QUOTE ]
    FactionOne said:
    OK I apologise in advance if this is a) totally invalid and/or b) wholly-stupid as I'm technical specialist by trade, but alas not on cars - I only have a small knowledge of mechanics/engineering, and very little of that is specific to forced-induction engines; but I do have a skill for regurgitating little snippets of info...

    ...Disclaimer of ignorance over...

    A good friend of mine bought a UK2000 imprezza turbo a few months ago with about 70k on it, and we noticed a bit of an 'uncertainty' at a particular point in the rev-band (admittedly higher than 3k, but hey) - it turned out that the boost solenoid needed a bit of a clean, once that was done it was steady all the way up to the redline.

    Could something similar be causing the symptoms Damo's S3 has?

    Just a thought [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

    Regards,

    Rob.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    It could well be something like this on Damo's car, and disconnecting it may show it or may not depending on whether it's just happens at max boost.

    You don't need to be an expert of cars to understand the systems, as I am not a professional on cars but forklifts are closer than most would think these days.

  20. #19
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    90

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    Right here is the update...Took the car to the dealers yesterday but didnt tell them bout the remap cos i wanted an unbiast opionion. They said it would only take 1.5 hours, 4.5 hours later i get a call saying...have you got a chip on here???

    I told them i had etc and they were totally ok with it. I arrived to collect and the operations manager came out personally to meet me. We had a lengthy conversation about it and he said they checked every possible thing MAF, coilpack, no errors being logged on the computer etc and they cannot find a physical problem with the car. I have to say the car feels a lot quicker and definately hesitates a lot less than before hardly any in 3rd a little in 4th.. Maybe the MAf needed replacing too?!?!

    He said that it would be worth taking the car back to stock to see if it still does it then, but I dont have the SPS3 box yet...He also said that it could be an electrical fault that the chip could be masking up!!

    Whilst i was there i expressed my concern about the warranty side of things and he was really good told me not to worry, a lot of s3, rs4 etc are remapped he said and they havent ever seen any thing damaged as a cause of it so I thought that was really good of him. Told me not to worry and he would like to know if Revo have any ideas.

    So all in all nothing came out of the 4 hours diagnositics even tho the car feels better...

    I guess a call to Mr revo is needed.

    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

  21. #20
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bushey, Herts
    Posts
    58

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    Had a similiar problem with my car. I took the same route you took. I.e. The dealer who spent a day and a half with it and still could not get rid of the hesistation.

    I then callled Revo and they told me that its the MAF and the hoses may have a leak.

    Basically Revo could not be bothered. They just said that the car has a problem and not their software. Despite the fact that the car runs normally in stock.

    Back to the dealer....

    They were gracious enough to replace all hoses and MAF. The hesistation was definetely better. They suggested that the Turbo control unit might be malfunctioning, but I have not got that changed as yet.Plans to get it done under warrenty again in the New Year.

    Good luck with yours.

  22. #21
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    90

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    I called Revo up and they said to take it to the people who remapped it and put the VAG diagnostics thing on it and send them the results...

    They didnt really want to know to be honest!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

  23. #22
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bushey, Herts
    Posts
    58

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    Take it back to the guys that put your map on. Get them to try some different boost setting. Might help with the stutter.

  24. #23
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    38

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    Damo

    I am having the same problem, I get a sudden 'glitch' as I hit 3000rpm before the car goes supersonic on me!!! I will start the process of discovering why over the next few weeks (crimbo eve not a good day to start!!!).

    Please keep me informed as to your progress, I will go back to Oettenger who will sort this out... Their service is second to none and I have no doubts at all thet the main man there, Danny, will sort this for me in no time...

    Just one observation the troubleshooters here might be able to make sense of.. After I give the car some stick and the revert back to pipe and slippers driving mode.. I get a faint wiff of petrol through the vents for a few seconds??? Am I about to explode or would this relate to collapsing hoses, leaks?

    Please can we keep this thread highly active until a resolution is sought as this seems to be a problem for a fair few of us...

    Cheers

    Wizard [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif[/img]

  25. #24
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bushey, Herts
    Posts
    58

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    Good idea wizard. After all are cars are supposed to be fast.

    Merry christmas all.

  26. #25
    DavidR's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,295

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    If you car has been given the all clear by audi, don't rest on that assumption. I was told my underperforming S4 was "fine" by audi, despite it then producing only 217bhp on the dyno with a faulty air mass sensor and 2 faulty exhaust temp sensors. There were 7 fault codes on VAGCOM which I discovered the following day, and I used an independant specialist to sort the issues out.

    Re the chip, I drove a superchipped S3 once that would boost really hard to 3000rpm, then pink, hesistate and then pull off again. I presume it was a clumsy remap leading to detonation and the knock sensor holding back until it is sorted.

    My advice to Damo would be to get the car run on a reputable rolling road with full diagnostics and a keen eye focussed on the intake pipe..

  27. #26
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    90

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    yea i think that is the best idea....need to sort it as its really doing my head in!!

    dont expect this [censored] from an audi!!

  28. #27
    DavidR's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,295

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    [ QUOTE ]
    [b]Damo said:[/b dont expect this [censored] from an audi!!

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Unfortunately it seems that you CAN expect such problems from most of the "prestige" manufacturers now who plunder the generic Bosch part bin for their electronics.

  29. #28
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    44

    Re: Stutter at 3000RPM - Chipped S3

    Read this post last week & felt quite chuffed that I had no such annoying problem. Until today! Driving home after Christmas at my folks today & the car was fine. Got home, parked up for 5 minutes then went to go out again. The car started stuttering & making a louder noise (as if the boost could be leaking from somewhere) as soon as the turbo started spooling up right up until the red line. Anyway, remained the same for the next 20 minutes, parked up at the shop but when I started her up again it seemed fine! (or maybe slightly slower - but not sure if im imagining that). Does this problem being intermittent suggest the MAF? (ps car is chipped & viper dv)

    Cheers All!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO