Thinking of buying... what do you think...?

S3Matt

Reaction score
Could do with some feedback...

I went to view a 45000 mile 03 plate S3 today, advertised for £8995.

Exterior was fantastic condition (except for the fact it had been keyed, not deep though and would be fixed as a condition of sale), including flawless Avus alloys.

Interior just okay... piano black cubby hole cover in centre console would need replacing (is this easy?) and some of the buttons have worn away (common fault I think, this happened to my last one)

The problem is that it is overdue a service (by 3 weeks, during which it has been driven almost daily according to the salesman). He also couldn't produce the service handbook though assured me it was complete. Also, when I wound the drivers side electric window down it wouldn't go back up (big problem?)

So... (I haven't committed myself to anything...) we agreed that if a sale was to go ahead I would give him £8500 if he sorts the keyed paintwork out, services it (he offered to send it to Audi), produces a correctly completed service book, new back tires (needed soon) and fixes the window. It would also be dependent on a positive RAC inspection (which unfortunately doesn't include diagnostics, but would surely be done by Glasgow Audi as a matter of course whilst it's being serviced?)

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

hmm service history essential

all filters, plugs, oils, haldex, camblet

that's a good budget you have, you should expect a good example with everything, make sure the rac man scans for fault codes

45k....my ****

I gave my s3 up with 36k 2 years ago so why not? It is a low milage but depends how it's been acrued, and anyway if it's got a good history a dodgy milage would stand out like a sore thumb... yet to see the history but as finesse says if it's not there, and comprehensive then no chance

RAC don't scan for fault codes unfortunatley but if it's off back to Audi for a service then I can check with them... surely they'll do that as a matter of course?

The worn buttons are suspicious for a car with low mileage, as is the missing service book, why is it missing??? Audi's are very durable cars and mine with 84000 (1999 APY) looks almost like new with no worn buttons, mint paint and virtually mint Avus alloys. Get a HPI Check done and check the mileage on the old MOTs via the VOSA website, it may well have been clocked. if the car has a VAG history then any Audi dealer can call up the cars history and tell you if there was anything manjor done to it.

Nige

all it takes is one woman owner for the buttons to be scratched....really isnt an indicator without other factors

The worn buttons are suspicious for a car with low mileage, as is the missing service book, why is it missing??? Audi's are very durable cars and mine with 84000 (1999 APY) looks almost like new with no worn buttons, mint paint and virtually mint Avus alloys. Get a HPI Check done and check the mileage on the old MOTs via the VOSA website, it may well have been clocked. if the car has a VAG history then any Audi dealer can call up the cars history and tell you if there was anything manjor done to it.

Nige
im jealous, my 99 apy is a tired old hector at 113k

Well, my 150k A3 had no worn buttons either and it's first owner was a bird. I'd be sus of a car that did with 45k and a missing service book.

Cool thanks for the insight... I guess I shouldn't be buying a car I'm not 100% comfortable with

The buttons on the facelift dash are prone to wear and chipping, APY dashboards are prefacelift, I have an 60k and a 154k example, both in very good condition insides.

Hey Matt sounds like your budjet could bag you a far better example tbh id be looking for a mint example at that price, no service book and worn buttons plus body damage and ****** window reg or clips , it definetly dosent add up m8 mine has the dodjie window prob but no wear on the switches at all and im the 5th owner with 127,000 on the clock , where are u in scotland m8 do u have a link to the specific car ?

ok ok lets get this out of the way..... i have an S3, my buttons were worn at 80k when i bought it as were many others i viewed, more recently i bought an A3 for the misus, had the exact same problem finding a car without worn buttons...its a COMMON problem, i dont care if yours aren't worn, FACT is that these are prone to wearing - I have seen enough and been around here enough to CONFIRM this

secondly..... if you ring the local dealer or indeed Audi UK, you should be able to trace the history, these books do go missing very easily either by dealers not replacing them after a service or via other methods...would it stop me buying a car? NO, it may make me question the car if i cant trace the history - a missing book certainly will not

The window issue could happen to any S3...its hardly a user related issue, more of normal wear and tear.....

My view on this as an ex car dealer is that this seems a tad on the expensive side, however if the dealer does everything he says (he has enough margin in this deal, trust me) then it may be a good buy, to be honest though i wouldnt pay that much unless it was a ****** good spec and/or had a unique body colour....certainly not black or silver as they fetch less due to how common they are when compared to say a Nogaro blue, not to mention a yellow or dolphin ;)

good luck with the purchase/shopping

ok ok lets get this out of the way..... i wouldnt pay that much unless it was a ****** good spec and/or had a unique body colour....certainly not black or silver as they fetch less due to how common they are when compared to say a Nogaro blue, not to mention a yellow or dolphin ;)

All a matter of personal taste sadly i have the gorgeous silver with black recaro but Animal has a point here , some people will pay more for the colour that they desire and sadly i must admit blue is the fastest heres the proof
YouTube - Audi S3 3.2lt Turbo 800PS by 0-400 Tune 2 Race - POWER Techniques 131 Issue -

ok ok lets get this out of the way..... i have an S3, my buttons were worn at 80k when i bought it as were many others i viewed, more recently i bought an A3 for the misus, had the exact same problem finding a car without worn buttons...its a COMMON problem, i dont care if yours aren't worn, FACT is that these are prone to wearing - I have seen enough and been around here enough to CONFIRM this

secondly..... if you ring the local dealer or indeed Audi UK, you should be able to trace the history, these books do go missing very easily either by dealers not replacing them after a service or via other methods...would it stop me buying a car? NO, it may make me question the car if i cant trace the history - a missing book certainly will not

The window issue could happen to any S3...its hardly a user related issue, more of normal wear and tear.....

My view on this as an ex car dealer is that this seems a tad on the expensive side, however if the dealer does everything he says (he has enough margin in this deal, trust me) then it may be a good buy, to be honest though i wouldnt pay that much unless it was a ****** good spec and/or had a unique body colour....certainly not black or silver as they fetch less due to how common they are when compared to say a Nogaro blue, not to mention a yellow or dolphin ;)

The guy who is selling this is asking top dollar no doubt.....should not everything be in a nice shiny wallet inc THE SERVICE BOOK........
the buttons started scratching off on the face lifts ....mine is like new prefaceliftish ..economizing......cheaper products

mine is facelift but maybe my light switch been replaced before i dunno , all i know is i seen a few in my search where the black had turned white , co incedentially the ones with worn switches had many problems including smoking turbos , lowered suspension, worn seats and pedals etc etc

You can check old mileages on the VOSA webste if you have the v5 reference number...

yup yup, you guys know i meant no offence with my comments....its just how it is