Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    DaveA3's Avatar
    Audi A-Trizzle!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    2,378

    A few queries that are bugging me about my car

    Hi All a couple of thing are bugging me about my car and im looking for some guidance about these.

    Ok, the first one is when i start up my car all is good and fine but when i pull away for like the first 10 yards when i lift my throttle for the first time since starting it i hear like a spring release from underneath me like gearbox area n then i never hear it again.
    Its only the first time i release the throttle after pulling away bit weird but i always wondered if it was meant to do that. Also if i pull away and accidently wheelspin after turning on the ignition (yesterday morning frost and my drive is on a slope) and i havent done the usual throttle n off again it makes that weird spring noise but louder.

    my second thing is relating to the wheel spin thing. My mate got some renault speed logging thing with his 197 and we were doing 0-60 tests on private roads. I was struggling to get grip in first gear with massive wheelspin and it was weird instead of the wheels going all the way around something was stopping them from spinning on the spot kinda like traction control but i dont have it. was weird. made a DUB DUB DUB sound after each spin. it wasnt like a knock but a kinda uncomfortable sound all the same.

    any ideas? ive tried to explain the best i can lol

    cheers

    Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    DJ_Troopa's Avatar
    K1 Driver

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West London
    Posts
    1,737

    My Social Networking

    Visit DJ_Troopa's Instagram Channel
    LOL @ dub dub dub.

    Hope you get it sorted mate.
    Inferi Black Cupra K1

    Click here for more Troo-Pics!


  4. #3
    bengal's Avatar
    3rd Gear
    Eskiv Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    537
    Am i right in thinking yours is an agu if so they do have a kind of traction control which isnt good at all imo it just makes a noise more than anything else the same as when the abs kicks in i think it works off the abs module. The reason i say agu is i have one and im not sure about the later engines lol. It should only kick in with wheelspin so if its doing it when its not then check your wheel bearings as when i had one go it did this all of the time as it gets confused by the play in the wheel and thinks its spinning when its not.

  5. #4
    DaveA3's Avatar
    Audi A-Trizzle!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    2,378
    well it only does the wheel spin thing when its actually wheel spinning which is ok then i thought it was just on s3 agu's maybe i read wrong in the past. need to find out what thats called.

    also i wonder what that spring thing is on first pull away. ive tried searching but dunno what to type to find what im after

    Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

  6. #5
    DaveA3's Avatar
    Audi A-Trizzle!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    2,378
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Troopa View Post
    LOL @ dub dub dub.

    Hope you get it sorted mate.
    lol cheers dude

    Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

  7. #6
    Alex C's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lizard, Cornwall
    Posts
    2,602
    didnt think S3s were ever factory fitted with AGU?
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

  8. #7
    bengal's Avatar
    3rd Gear
    Eskiv Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA3 View Post
    well it only does the wheel spin thing when its actually wheel spinning which is ok then i thought it was just on s3 agu's maybe i read wrong in the past. need to find out what thats called.

    also i wonder what that spring thing is on first pull away. ive tried searching but dunno what to type to find what im after
    Im not sure on the spring noise tbh dude. If you mean you need to know what the traction control is called its edl so its white with a shaved head and goes around town centres smashing up shops and fighting with the police in the country its supposed to love so much pmsl.

  9. #8
    DaveA3's Avatar
    Audi A-Trizzle!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    2,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookstein View Post
    didnt think S3s were ever factory fitted with AGU?
    no idea mate im gonna look up this EDL though

    Quote Originally Posted by bengal View Post
    Im not sure on the spring noise tbh dude. If you mean you need to know what the traction control is called its edl so its white with a shaved head and goes around town centres smashing up shops and fighting with the police in the country its supposed to love so much pmsl.
    LOL cheers

    Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

  10. #9
    DaveA3's Avatar
    Audi A-Trizzle!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    2,378
    someone mentioned to me it could be my dual mass flywheel apparently they make the noise when first starting etc when they are on their way out. anyone know of any other symptoms you get with these?

    Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

  11. #10
    Dane's Avatar
    Faster than a V12 Q7

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cheltenham
    Posts
    4,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookstein View Post
    didnt think S3s were ever factory fitted with AGU?
    Me either I thought it was, Pre Facelift APY, Earlier facelifts AMK, Later facelifts BAM.

  12. #11
    DaveA3's Avatar
    Audi A-Trizzle!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    2,378
    EDL

    Electronic Differential Lock (EDL) is a limited slip differential imitation - this is an electonic system that detects wheelspin via ABS sensors and applies brakes to spinning wheels. This results in the torque being transferred via open differentials to another wheel that has more traction.
    For example, the system brakes the wheel that is raised in the air and spinngin freely, and engine power goes to another wheel that is on the ground.




    ---


    in that case why the hell does it do anything when both wheels are losing grip? uneven suspension mate?

    Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

  13. #12
    Alex C's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lizard, Cornwall
    Posts
    2,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Me either I thought it was, Pre Facelift APY, Earlier facelifts AMK, Later facelifts BAM.
    thats what i thought, pretty sure too, but may be proved wrong
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

  14. #13
    DaveA3's Avatar
    Audi A-Trizzle!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    2,378
    yeh werent sure where i read that in the past dont quote me on the s3 thing lol

    Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

  15. #14
    bengal's Avatar
    3rd Gear
    Eskiv Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA3 View Post
    EDL

    Electronic Differential Lock (EDL) is a limited slip differential imitation - this is an electonic system that detects wheelspin via ABS sensors and applies brakes to spinning wheels. This results in the torque being transferred via open differentials to another wheel that has more traction.
    For example, the system brakes the wheel that is raised in the air and spinngin freely, and engine power goes to another wheel that is on the ground.




    ---


    in that case why the hell does it do anything when both wheels are losing grip? uneven suspension mate?
    Could be uneven suspension but due to the camber of the road rather than a fault with your car it could be that one wheel is still spinning faster than the other and its trying to even it out still. Wait till your in the snow it goes like mad then lol.

  16. #15
    DaveA3's Avatar
    Audi A-Trizzle!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    2,378
    Quote Originally Posted by bengal View Post
    Could be uneven suspension but due to the camber of the road rather than a fault with your car it could be that one wheel is still spinning faster than the other and its trying to even it out still. Wait till your in the snow it goes like mad then lol.
    oh god i havent even thought of the snow thatll be interesting! well i have coilovers so might be the heights aswell perhaps i need to get the measuring tape out!

    Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

  17. #16
    DaveA3's Avatar
    Audi A-Trizzle!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    2,378
    my mate said therrs a spring inbetween the flywheel and friction plates thats there to handle the movement is this what im hearing? if so why do it only do it when i first start the car and pull off?

    hmmz

    Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

  18. #17
    Alex C's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lizard, Cornwall
    Posts
    2,602
    maybe its starter motor related...not sure. But if it only happens after you've just started the car then maybe its not retracting properly until you pull away
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

  19. #18
    DaveA3's Avatar
    Audi A-Trizzle!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    2,378
    not a starter motor noise or anything just feels like a spring is being pulled then let go once. and onces it been let go so to speak its fine. its weird

    Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

  20. #19
    a3lucky's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Nr Colchester, Essex
    Posts
    23
    Preeeetty confident I can answer this one. The 'spring' noise is your ABS pump kicking in. Basically when you first pull away, due to the type of sensors used to measure wheel speed, the wheels have to rotate a few times before the ECU recieves a signal from them (this is their way of self testing.) So once the wheels have rotated and the speed sensors are confirmed working, the pump fires once for just a split second.
    When you are wheel spinning, the ECU reads a differential in wheel percentage slip between the front wheels and rear wheels, which kicks the ABS pump in again. Hence the noise. If you touch the brake pedal while spinning you will feel it 'juddering'.

    Mine also makes this noise, as does my old dears mk4 golf, as did my old mk3 golf VR6. Its perfectly normal.

  21. #20
    DaveA3's Avatar
    Audi A-Trizzle!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    2,378
    Quote Originally Posted by a3lucky View Post
    Preeeetty confident I can answer this one. The 'spring' noise is your ABS pump kicking in. Basically when you first pull away, due to the type of sensors used to measure wheel speed, the wheels have to rotate a few times before the ECU recieves a signal from them (this is their way of self testing.) So once the wheels have rotated and the speed sensors are confirmed working, the pump fires once for just a split second.
    When you are wheel spinning, the ECU reads a differential in wheel percentage slip between the front wheels and rear wheels, which kicks the ABS pump in again. Hence the noise. If you touch the brake pedal while spinning you will feel it 'juddering'.

    Mine also makes this noise, as does my old dears mk4 golf, as did my old mk3 golf VR6. Its perfectly normal.
    cheers fella ill just ignore them both then :D makes me feel at ease a bit now!

    Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO