How to secure the Jetex filter?

DJ_Troopa

Reaction score
Well i'm looking to buy once again another MAF soon as i've had 2 die in 4 months! Crappy GSF if you ask me! They were the Bosch units too.

Anywho.... i know vibrations can also cause the MAF to fail and i was wondering how people have secured their filters to stop these vibrations?

Advice and pictures are appreciated!

If anyone else has advice please let me know. I think this will be interesting for others too.

Thanks

Jay

mine sits pretty tightly behind my battery dont really move. ill post a pic.

but then again i have an A3 so probably irrelevent
4ec3eac95842.jpg

Last edited:
Two zip ties attached to the strut brace its cheap and a bit nasty looking but it works!!!

Scott - haha i done that with my last filter which was the Invo filter. It still wobbled quite a bit then!

I run a pipercross one on mine and it came with a bracket to fix it to the airbox mounts. I wouldnt have thought it would be too tricky to knock something up to secure it.

Well i'm looking to buy once again another MAF soon as i've had 2 die in 4 months! Crappy GSF if you ask me! They were the Bosch units too.

Anywho.... i know vibrations can also cause the MAF to fail and i was wondering how people have secured their filters to stop these vibrations?

Advice and pictures are appreciated!

did the MAF fail dead low/no sensor signal or just read too low?
Some have mounted via a bracket off the gbox a support mounted by those rubber bobbins to support yet isloate the maf sensor and clamp it to one of the 2 holes vacated by the screws which used to screw it to the airbox.

did the MAF fail dead low/no sensor signal or just read too low?
Some have mounted via a bracket off the gbox a support mounted by those rubber bobbins to support yet isloate the maf sensor and clamp it to one of the 2 holes vacated by the screws which used to screw it to the airbox.

My MAF readings are 200 g/s :( When i had the BMC i was doing 208 g/s, then after 2 months it went to 200 g/s. I bought the Invo and still the same. Funny how i need a new maf again! Drives me mad!

Not sure what area you're talking about to secure the filter Bill?

vibration kills maf's dead, it does'nt cause them to underread.

I would look elsewhere as I fear you are chasing g/s figures and the cause lies elsewhere perhaps

Reactions: leeds_182
Scott - haha i done that with my last filter which was the Invo filter. It still wobbled quite a bit then!
I also kept the bottom part that holds the original air box it doesn't move much but I should really find something more secure!!!

vibration kills maf's dead, it does'nt cause them to underread.

I would look elsewhere as I fear you are chasing g/s figures and the cause lies elsewhere perhaps

That's what i've been thinking aswell. I've changed the breather hoses to the Forge ones and also changed the engine block breather valve as that was clogged full of crap and broken! Is there anything else you can suggest Bill as you suggested these 2 things to me before? Would a book leak test help? That's next on my list!

I also kept the bottom part that holds the original air box it doesn't move much but I should really find something more secure!!!

Yeah i've got the bottom part too with the standard feed. The standard feed sits in a nice position in front of the filter.

Here are my pics made from aluminium, it touches the engine bonnet blanket so it is a fairly good seal, needs a little tweaking but it is solid.
20112010305.jpg

By d121m at 2010-11-23
20112010306.jpg

By d121m at 2010-11-23

Thanks for the pics Dave, looks neat! Did you make that yourself? I need something like that :)

I've just spoken to Jabba who said they do their heat shield for £85.

Bill - you have a Jabba one on your car don't you?

You don't have it lying around anywhere by any chance do you? lol ;)

I'm not sure if i want to spend £85 on it from Jabba, do people think it's worth it? Pricey if you ask me!

how easy is it to make up a heatshield for these? is there any particular thickness of aluminium to use? what size is the hole that the maf sits in???