Traction Control Light Problem

adamf200

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2000 A3 1.8 T-Sport Qauttro and since last week 2-3 minutes after start up the traction control light comess on and stays on.
Any ideas?

no, sorry to sound stupid but I have no idea what that is?

I normally drive the car with just me in it, but On Saturday on the way to the football there was 4 guys in the car! Thats when it first came on!
Could that be anything to do with it?

You need to scan the car with vagcom.

This is a diagnostic utility, similar to what the dealers use, and it will query the cars electronics and find out why the light is on.

If you post up your location, there may be someone on the forum who lives nearby who would be able to scan it for you.

If it is when you touch the brake pedal then it could be the brake light switch on the pedal. They are known for failing, easy diy fix and cost under £10. One possibility.

+1 for brake light switch - if it disappears after the ignition is switched off then on, and comes on when the brake is applied - you will likely find that the brake lights are not working if switch is the problem.

In reality there can be a number of reasons for the light, so search on the link in my signature for members with VCDS (new name for vag-com) near you, who will often do a scan for free or some beer ;) Alternatively, your local Audi dealer will scan your car for about 70 notes (if only I could earn 70 in 5 minutes.... :) ).

sounds to me like the lateral sensor for traction control but i would get it scanned first to be sure before going out and buying parts

im planning on selling the car soon so I dont want to spend much on it!
Is ther any way of getting the light to go out?
Remove a fuse or something?
Im in Lutterworth Leicestershire and work in Oadby Leicester if anyone near me has VCDS?
Thanks
Adam

I have to say, Im 99% certain it came on this morning while i wasnt breaking but I will check on way home tonight and confirm 100% tomorrow, so I guess that rules out that problem?

Ok think I have fixed it fingers crossed!
It came on yesterday morning on the way to work, at sometraffic lights I turned engine off and straight back on, the light went out. I then pressed the ESP button to turn traction control on and off 4 times and it has come back on since! Done about 60 miles since and no warning lights at all!

I used to live in lutterworth and now live over in oadby we could plug in my laptop and see whats wrong. youll find it will come back on soon its a faulty sensor!