Lumpy idle... Time to admit my MAF has seen better days?

Loupigs

Reaction score
Boys and girls,
After frightening the life out of me this weekend with an engine speed sensor fail and stalling at every junction in city centre rush hour traffic and then just refusing to start, my car now idles erratically. The boy wonder fixed the crank sensor problem with the £22 part from GSF and that's now all cleared on VAGCOM, but the revs are erratic and it has intermittent misfires at idle. Humph. Coupled with the way the car sometimes hesitates at 3.5k when I'm pulling away hard, is it time to assume my MAF needs replacing? Does anyone know the specific part number? Mine's a 2002 1.8T 150bhp AUM with minimal mods. There are several cheap options and then the Bosch one, £150ish on eBay or a bit less with Eurocarparts.

Other than that, ideas? It had new plugs with a full service 6 months/5k ago, coilpacks are on tight and the throttle body is clean as a whistle.

Ta much.xxx

Boy wonder has the car for the day, is going to test it later on a route where I know the car is usually a bit sticky.

Seriously love, I think this just might be part of the problem...

Can you see it yet?
243n39g.jpg

Now maybe?
29lzgbl.jpg

Oh yea, here we go!
2pyut54.jpg

Silicone replacement please :)

Will unplug the MAF on the way home, but I think we've found our problem there!

"Ewwww, put my engine covers back on. It looks horrible..." (lol) Function over form baby!

Technically I wanted the covers back on because they were covering my boot in grot!

You knows it dude!

Humpf :(

PCV system out the window and fit a spanking catch tank maybe?

29lzgbl.jpg

Oh yea, here we go!
2pyut54.jpg

Silicone replacement please :)

No. No silicon replacement, I've told you this before boy!

The cheapest, AND best solution, is to do away with the n249, and the entire PCV system, as it's a huge load of ******** that's full of leaks.

Sack all that lot off, and do an n249 bypass, which will cost you about £3 for the silicon, then buy a catch can on ebay, £30 for the one I have, and about £15 for all the hose and T you require, and the whole lot can be fitted in about 2 hours start to finish.

So, that'll be the whole PCV leak system gone, the nasty n249 bypassed, and all for £50

Well Prawn, if I buy the bits fancy helping me do it when you come home for Crimbo?

X

I guess I could do..... won't take long!

ebay round catch tank, 19mm T piece, 19mm oil hose, clips for all of it, and 2m of vacuum line.

wanna swing by milton keynes on ur way n erm do mine aswell lol ill give ya beer n fuel money :p

yours is an AGU Dave, so you havn't got an N249 to worry about!

can happily do a catch can install though, although you'd have to decide where you want the can placed, as that's down to personal preference really. on an AUM it's dead easy to just bolt it to the battery box ike on mine.

Filter is sorted.

I love you Prawn, bffl.

Seriously though, poor Audi! Phone me on your way home tonight Pronz, also I'll send you my xbox adapter so we can play Forza.