ESP light won't go out

MattW86

Reaction score
As the title says,

just had the car back from getting new timing belt, water pump and few other bits done to it. Couple of miles down the road the esp light lite up on the dash and will not go out. Checked the manual which says it should go out after turning the car off and on again but no joy.

If any of you kind S3 owners out there could help would be most appreciative :thumbsup:

forgot to say its a 2001 S3 (BAM)

cheers

A mate of mine said that this happened with his 8P.. turned out to be his ABS unit. £1200 to replace!

Scan the car with VCDS or take it to the dealer, who can do it for you, - it will take much of the guesswork out of diagnosing the problem.

if the geometry is slightly out from a ball joint replacement or similar it will throw the light on, im assuming they had to remove a few bits for the cv boot....

Mine comes on when i drive over very bumpy roads/a big pot hole. And varys in length from 10 minutes to a whole day before it goes off again.

If a dash light is on, then there should be a code logged. There could be 101 reasons for the light, so stop wasting time guessing and scan the car.There are many members with VCDS, who can help you.

Cheers for the replies. Awaiting contact back from Audi (they carried out the work) to see what can be done.

New year prezzie to myself is defo gonna be VCDS.

Matt

Just an update on this issue i was having.

Got the car back this evening from Audi after they had it the full day to check over, turns out that because the steering wheel alignment was out by around 10 degrees "The ESP sensor had kicked in as it thought there was an issue " .

I'm happy everything is fine and the car is definately putting the grip down alot better.

This might sound abit against the grain but 'BIG THUMBS UP' to the service guys in Audi that i dealt with

Cheers for the replies guys

Matt

Mines on too, getting it scanned tomorrow, but the tracking is slightly out so i think its allignment

I'm glad aswell mate, near took out a taxi last nite on a roundabout esp kicked in and locked the brakes and i just steer'd out of it Brown trouser moment LOL. Unbelievable how much grip these cars have in the winter conditions. Where i live there is a very steep hill which my old A3 had great difficulty geting up the s3 just plowed its way to the top. LOVE THIS CAR!! :)

Matt