Stone Chips

shagga

Reaction score
Hi All,
I know there have been several posts on this in the past but does anyone have a definative answer on what is best for treating stone chips... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cheers... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I'm getting really hacked off at the front of my car, and it's only done 5.5K !!!

Seriously considering trying some stuff like boot polish (lower bumper section first to try) or such like to "cover up" the white speckled bits. We'll see.

Er, that's not much help to you, is it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I think I have explained my solution before, but here goes again.

My method is proven, but a little hard work.

You need to buy a Turtle Wax Chip Stick, you can get chip sticks particular to the colour of your car, in my case, I have a black one.

First clean your car. Then rub the chipstick over each stone chip. This will take ages. Once they have all been covered, leave for while for the stuff to set.

Now wax/polish your car as per normal. Obviously this is not a miracle job, but on a black car, the chips are disguised.

At E38 last year people were surprised about the apparent lack of stone chips on my car, even though I had done over 8k at the time.

Its only £4.99 for the chipstick, and you can get it from Hellfords. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Ooooh, sounds good Moff. Can it liberally used over a wide area? After the Scottish meet my front bumper almost looks almost sparkly metallic because of all the wee teeny white flecks.

Strangely enough, I've noticed stone chips at the rear wheel arch. Not sure how I managed that!

Mark, not sure about using over a large area. I do have a deep scratch on my rear bumper that is now 'hidden' but still obvious when you look closely. The good thing is that it gets rid of the white.

Its like a crayon really, the polishing just helps to 'bond' it in. After a few applications, and some hard work, your car should look sweet for only a fiver!

I used to use a colour matching polish on my A3 to hide the chips.Worked quite well and it also has some sort of dye agent.

Luckily I don't have any chips on my S3 yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I thought chips away do a good job on this as has been said by a few people on here who've used them or are they not that good? The chips on my front are bad and have decided to go for a respray, but if chips away, can do a decent job, all the better I suppose and I'll probably use them.

Went to halfords last night. Doing 2 for 1 on turtle wax products, so I got 10 litres of zip wax and 2 chip sticks for £15. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll try the chips stuff at the weekend if I get time and the weather is ok.

It's times like this I'm glad I bought the headlamp protectors khufu /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Speaking of the headlights, just a heads-up. I've ordered some of the new Meguiars PlastX. It's described on Extreme Car Care as such:

This easy to use, rich gel formula quickly restores optical clarity to both rigid and flexible plastics. Cutting-edge advancements in Meguiar's exclusive Microscopic Diminishing Abrasive Technology (MDAT) removes light oxidation, chemical degradation, surface contamination, stains and light surface scratches with ease. In addition, because our microscopic diminishing abrasives breakdown as you use them, PlastX is safe on plastic rear windows on convertible tops, aircraft windows, motorcycle fairings, face shields, headlights and taillights, instrument panels, all clear plastic boat surfaces and aquariums. Meguiar's PlastX also contains highly water-resistant polymers. These specialized hi-tech polymers provide long lasting durable protection to keep your clear plastics clear and beautiful longer. PlastX is non-toxic and does not contain any harsh solvents.

So one of the things I was gonna try out, was the headlight covers, to see if it makes a difference. Anybody already try it, or interested in hearing how it goes??

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Drill sorry I've been busy
Metalic t cut is a slightly abrasive polish designed not to scratch the laquer on metalic paint.
They do a t cut for normal paints which is much more abrasive. Don't use this.

Basicly the laquer is the clear top layer, and if you build it up above the level of the original paintwork you can rub it back level and get a nice smooth finish

[ QUOTE ]
GolfTTish said:
Drill sorry I've been busy
Metalic t cut is a slightly abrasive polish designed not to scratch the laquer on metalic paint.
They do a t cut for normal paints which is much more abrasive. Don't use this.

Basicly the laquer is the clear top layer, and if you build it up above the level of the original paintwork you can rub it back level and get a nice smooth finish

[/ QUOTE ]OK, so it's like... Hard-Core ScratchX /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Cool, by the "T cut" I was picturing some sanding block or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks Dude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
S3-Moff , I live in South Africa
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Should put it in your profile then

[/ QUOTE ]

Done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Most of the dealers here offer a paint protection option,
that apparently makes it very difficult to get chips among other things. Have any of you guys gone for such an option
and does it work?

[ QUOTE ]
joesa said:
[ QUOTE ]
S3-Moff , I live in South Africa
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Should put it in your profile then

[/ QUOTE ]

Done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Most of the dealers here offer a paint protection option,
that apparently makes it very difficult to get chips among other things. Have any of you guys gone for such an option
and does it work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Had that checked out - unless they offer paint chip protection (ie a guarantee), don't bother. All it is is machine applied polish/wax.

And as for the teflon applications; that's crap too. Teflon bonds at 650°C; I'm sure you can see the obvious problem.

One interesting thing, though; we had to have our Merc resprayed thanks to some little fu?ker and a key. Spoke to the bodyshop about another light scratch, and he pulled out this miracle 3M stuff. It was the same colour as the paint; silver; I don't know if it's colour coded or if it was just a coincidence. However, the scratch with a bit of light hand polishing was gone. Incredible. I wish I knew what it was called, there are a few potential candidates on the 3m auto webpage. Maybe I'll call and ask...

-- james