Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    6th Gear

Status

Fitted My New Jetex Filter... what do people think of theirs?

Well today i finaly got round to fitting my new filter and a cold air feed.
    The car felt more lively on test drive and the boost gauge seems to move much quicker...
    The down side though,
    A slightly naff sound induction noise when pulling from low revs.
    The best way to explain it would be... like a bloody corsa with a silly filter fitted!
    The noise changes to a nicer one once the turbo starts to work, But im not sure i can put up with it as i drive alot around local roads and stop start driving.

Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Forgot to mention... the mounting bracket is still at work so im going to fit that in the morning.
    Its uses the hole for mounting the airbox behind the battery and has a "bobbin" from a mk2 golf 16v on the bottom to help save the maf from vibrations...
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    looking good paul, (very tidy bay by the way)

2nd Gear
    Chopper Challenge Champion

Status
    I have one fitted, i think they are really good and it improved my G/S..
    2002 S3 8L, FORGE 007, R-TECH RE-MAPP, MILTEK CAT BACK NON-RESONATED, JETEX CONE FILTER AND 260 BHP ISH.......

6th Gear

Status
    Well i may get to do a little logging to see if there is any real improvments.
    Ive yet to hear the car from outside. Maybe it sounds better outside
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    All i can here is the spool of the turbo behind the firewall and then a very loud dump (similar to air brakes on buses, but duller) recurculated of course

2nd Gear
    Chopper Challenge Champion

Status
    My G/S improved from 206 to 221 G/S. But i had done the n249 bypass which makes a little difference..
    Last edited by luke2702; 12th November 2010 at 19:58.
    2002 S3 8L, FORGE 007, R-TECH RE-MAPP, MILTEK CAT BACK NON-RESONATED, JETEX CONE FILTER AND 260 BHP ISH.......

6th Gear

Status
    I can not hear any such noises to be honest. just a dull "baaaaaaarrrrrrrrrp" when i floor it. the kind of noise you hear from a 1.2 corsa with an air filter the size of a dustbin.
    its not at all what i expected.
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

Chugger

Status
    you might find that properly fixing it will stop the resonating sound of the barrrb. As this noise is only the filter vibrating very fast
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

2nd Gear

Status
    get a heat shield mate! since the a3/s3 engine bay is a kinda smal/bussy these things suffer from the high temperatures.i had a simple open(unprotected) cone filter similiar to the one on ur pics.so i didn't get the efect i wanted to achieve ,because the air getting in trogh that filter was hotter than what used to get with the factory air box.however there was a difference having less restricted air flow.
    thing got better after i changed it (bouhgt a different induction kit). this was a closed one with the filter beeing hidden inside a closed heatshield(there's plenty of em on ebay with the eye cathing carbon or chrome finish),and conected to the air feed pipe coming from the bottom side of the bumper.(hole a after the foglight to be accurate)

4th Gear

Status
    I just fitted my one and kept the existing air feed the same the car feels a lot faster when the outside temperature is low never got the mounting kit just used two zip ties on the strut brace it looks a bit DIY tho!!!

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    The old claims of open filters and heatsoak are rubbish in my opinion. The air being pumped out of the turbo at 20psi can be around 100 degrees C, so a few degrees higher or lower going into the filter isn't going to make any real difference, I fitted a jetex open cone filter, and got a huge increase in airflow. My I let temps at the manifold didn't change at all, despite moving the filter from a cold place down inside the bumper up into the engine bay
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Quattro ist für sissies

Status
    I agree with you prawn. Thats the same setup as what I got now but got a 3" air feed to fit later on today. I been thinking about putting the filter inside the original air box with the original air feed and 3" air feed I got to fit.

Be interesting what results that would show up.

Nathan
    For sale

3" Downpipe and de cat (will be going on ebay soon)
    Autogauge boost gauge
    Chrome Audi Number plate surrounds

PM for info.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    In the process of fitting mine... just have it sat in the lower half of the std air box at the moment but will be doing a bit of work to get the cover of top half of the std airbox to fit

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Quattro ist für sissies

Status
    Thats what mine was for a few weeks when I first installed my Jetex cone, inside the bottom half of the air box. I did used to have a green cotton cone filter which was enclosed inside the standard are box but it was quite a bit smaller than the Jetex.

I will upload some pics if I manage to get a Jetex cone fully enclosed inside the original air box with a good air feed.

Nathan
    For sale

3" Downpipe and de cat (will be going on ebay soon)
    Autogauge boost gauge
    Chrome Audi Number plate surrounds

PM for info.

shanejess
    i love it, i have the neuspeed big cone with the stainless heatsheild.

5th Gear

Status
    i have that one 2 love it sounds great
    350bhp & 316ftlb BBT new k16 7+7 blade hybrid turbo, Welly cooler, jetex filter, relentless ported v3 manifold 3" downpipe & de-cat, liquid gauge, r32 rear arb, AGU ported and polished Head, 550cc injectors, kw v2 Coilovers, s3dave tie bars & heat sheild, milltek cat back, I.E forged rods, brembos, inline fuel pump, v3 badger 5 tip, devils own WMI kit, AGU pistons, rear grooved discs & brembo pads, ds2500 pads & EBC ultimax disc, stack boost gauge

6th Gear

Status
    Well ive decided to refit the standard airbox with a cotton green filter in and my new 3inch cold air intake in place of the pipe that goes to the wing.
    My cold air feed now goes behind the headlight and down to the grill next to the fog light.

The filter is up for sale ,
    If i get a good offer for it i will sell . Otherwise i will maybe spend more time and work out why the noise is so rubbish.
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Done a 60 mile trip today with the Jetex fitted... from the inside of the car there is little induction noise to be heard but you can hear the dump valve a bit more... certainly more whooshy than before...

IAT's surprised me the most though... granted its colder out but I normally see around 10 deg difference between ambient and IAT but the IAT's under normal driving are less, only a degree or two but definitely less...

I can say though that I have heard mine on the dyno with a Jetex on and there is induction noise for sure... I have been out in Welly's car and induction noise (and other noise for that matter) is much more pronounced as he has removed all the sound deadening and bonnet seals etc...

I for one was worried that fitting a cone would make my car noisier on the inside... I am personally happy that it doesn't.... I am not sure you will ever get the induction noise of throttle bodies (that goes right through you on a dyno run!!!)... closest I have heard was a Leon with a Carbonio kit on it... that sounded nice but the noise was outside not inside...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

If in doubt, flat out

Status
    how much do you want for the jetex mate PM me a price i am after one at the moment
    S3 Stage 1 Map, Forge 007p, Jetex filter, JE Forged pistons and scat rods, ARP bottom end bolts + stud and nut kit fited with race ported head, 3" Downpipe + Full Ashley system, lowered on ebaich pro springs, white RS6's, HID headlights n fogs, dewipered..not bad for a few weeks modding .. Hertz Mille 3000 + Audison SR1DK, + coilovers coming soon!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    In the process of fitting mine... just have it sat in the lower half of the std air box at the moment but will be doing a bit of work to get the cover of top half of the std airbox to fit

<tuffty/>
    be very inersted in seeing the outcome if you manage it.

i have been toying with the idea of a jetex for a while after hearing good things, this thread is begining to sway my decision!

what is the easiest and neatest way of running a beefier cai? is ebay the best place to source the ducting?

2nd Gear

Status
    also does the cone fit straight on to an s3 maf, it looks like it does in the pics but just wanted to check.

RIP S3dave

Status
    it can do or you can add a coupler to move it closer to the inner wing and the cold air feed
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks bill.
    Tuffty, how close is the lid to fitting with the jetex cone in the airbox?
    I may get one and run it in the winter and see what its like.
    S3paul, I like the look of the cold air feed that you've installed, I haven't looked at the routing yet. Is it fairly self explanitry?

3rd Gear

Status
    So, any of you guys going to get a video up so we can all hear how it sounds?
    Dean.

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    i like mine it sounds nice and is a good temporary measure until next summer when my carbonio will go back on (i get paranoid about hydrolock). I just love the carbonio sound too much to sell it.

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by barters3 View Post
    be very inersted in seeing the outcome if you manage it.

i have been toying with the idea of a jetex for a while after hearing good things, this thread is begining to sway my decision!

what is the easiest and neatest way of running a beefier cai? is ebay the best place to source the ducting?
    I got mine from ebay... I used 4", S3Paul has used 3"... both of us have FMIC's so if you still have the std SMIC's then you won't be able to route the ducting to the bumper grille... 4" is a struggle to get down there anyway and I have mine just behind the headlight drawing air from the lower half of the bumper...

Quote Originally Posted by barters3 View Post
    Thanks bill.
    Tuffty, how close is the lid to fitting with the jetex cone in the airbox?
    I may get one and run it in the winter and see what its like.
    S3paul, I like the look of the cold air feed that you've installed, I haven't looked at the routing yet. Is it fairly self explanitry?
    Have a look on my build thread, I have pics and everything

<tuffty/>

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    **Short and pointless post alert.....**

Love my Jetex.

End of.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

RIP S3dave

Status
    complemented by the uber breathing 3" TIP
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Absolutely....

Much G/S ness...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    I love my jetex too! it's amazing.

Sounds great and doesn't risk the engine in wet weather!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

6th Gear

Status
    I realy need to hear somebodyelses
    Mine sounded naff so i took it off.
    I was unsure weather to fit it in the first place
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    heres my one. my engine cover is currently drying. i painted it blue. Although i may strip it down and paint it gloss black. not sure now

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by DaveA3; 16th November 2010 at 11:17.

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc