Fitted My New Jetex Filter... what do people think of theirs?

S3 Paul

Reaction score
Well today i finaly got round to fitting my new filter and a cold air feed.
The car felt more lively on test drive and the boost gauge seems to move much quicker...
The down side though,
A slightly naff sound induction noise when pulling from low revs.
The best way to explain it would be... like a ****** corsa with a silly filter fitted!
The noise changes to a nicer one once the turbo starts to work, But im not sure i can put up with it as i drive alot around local roads and stop start driving.

DSC02735.jpg

DSC02733.jpg

DSC02736.jpg

DSC02731.jpg

DSC02729.jpg

DSC02734.jpg

Forgot to mention... the mounting bracket is still at work so im going to fit that in the morning.
Its uses the hole for mounting the airbox behind the battery and has a "bobbin" from a mk2 golf 16v on the bottom to help save the maf from vibrations...

I have one fitted, i think they are really good and it improved my G/S..

Well i may get to do a little logging to see if there is any real improvments.
Ive yet to hear the car from outside. Maybe it sounds better outside

My G/S improved from 206 to 221 G/S. But i had done the n249 bypass which makes a little difference..

Last edited:
I can not hear any such noises to be honest. just a dull "baaaaaaarrrrrrrrrp" when i floor it. the kind of noise you hear from a 1.2 corsa with an air filter the size of a dustbin.
its not at all what i expected.

you might find that properly fixing it will stop the resonating sound of the barrrb. As this noise is only the filter vibrating very fast

get a heat shield mate! since the a3/s3 engine bay is a kinda smal/bussy these things suffer from the high temperatures.i had a simple open(unprotected) cone filter similiar to the one on ur pics.so i didn't get the efect i wanted to achieve ,because the air getting in trogh that filter was hotter than what used to get with the factory air box.however there was a difference having less restricted air flow.
thing got better after i changed it (bouhgt a different induction kit). this was a closed one with the filter beeing hidden inside a closed heatshield(there's plenty of em on ebay with the eye cathing carbon or chrome finish),and conected to the air feed pipe coming from the bottom side of the bumper.(hole a after the foglight to be accurate)

I just fitted my one and kept the existing air feed the same the car feels a lot faster when the outside temperature is low never got the mounting kit just used two zip ties on the strut brace it looks a bit DIY tho!!!

The old claims of open filters and heatsoak are rubbish in my opinion. The air being pumped out of the turbo at 20psi can be around 100 degrees C, so a few degrees higher or lower going into the filter isn't going to make any real difference, I fitted a jetex open cone filter, and got a huge increase in airflow. My I let temps at the manifold didn't change at all, despite moving the filter from a cold place down inside the bumper up into the engine bay

I agree with you prawn. Thats the same setup as what I got now but got a 3" air feed to fit later on today. I been thinking about putting the filter inside the original air box with the original air feed and 3" air feed I got to fit.

Be interesting what results that would show up.

Nathan

In the process of fitting mine... just have it sat in the lower half of the std air box at the moment but will be doing a bit of work to get the cover of top half of the std airbox to fit

<tuffty/>

Thats what mine was for a few weeks when I first installed my Jetex cone, inside the bottom half of the air box. I did used to have a green cotton cone filter which was enclosed inside the standard are box but it was quite a bit smaller than the Jetex.

I will upload some pics if I manage to get a Jetex cone fully enclosed inside the original air box with a good air feed.

Nathan

i love it, i have the neuspeed big cone with the stainless heatsheild.

Well ive decided to refit the standard airbox with a cotton green filter in and my new 3inch cold air intake in place of the pipe that goes to the wing.
My cold air feed now goes behind the headlight and down to the grill next to the fog light.

The filter is up for sale ,
If i get a good offer for it i will sell . Otherwise i will maybe spend more time and work out why the noise is so rubbish.

Done a 60 mile trip today with the Jetex fitted... from the inside of the car there is little induction noise to be heard but you can hear the dump valve a bit more... certainly more whooshy than before...

IAT's surprised me the most though... granted its colder out but I normally see around 10 deg difference between ambient and IAT but the IAT's under normal driving are less, only a degree or two but definitely less...

I can say though that I have heard mine on the dyno with a Jetex on and there is induction noise for sure... I have been out in Welly's car and induction noise (and other noise for that matter) is much more pronounced as he has removed all the sound deadening and bonnet seals etc...

I for one was worried that fitting a cone would make my car noisier on the inside... I am personally happy that it doesn't.... I am not sure you will ever get the induction noise of throttle bodies (that goes right through you on a dyno run!!!)... closest I have heard was a Leon with a Carbonio kit on it... that sounded nice but the noise was outside not inside...

<tuffty/>

how much do you want for the jetex mate PM me a price i am after one at the moment :)

In the process of fitting mine... just have it sat in the lower half of the std air box at the moment but will be doing a bit of work to get the cover of top half of the std airbox to fit

<tuffty/>

be very inersted in seeing the outcome if you manage it.

i have been toying with the idea of a jetex for a while after hearing good things, this thread is begining to sway my decision!

what is the easiest and neatest way of running a beefier cai? is ebay the best place to source the ducting?

also does the cone fit straight on to an s3 maf, it looks like it does in the pics but just wanted to check.

Thanks bill.
Tuffty, how close is the lid to fitting with the jetex cone in the airbox?
I may get one and run it in the winter and see what its like.
S3paul, I like the look of the cold air feed that you've installed, I haven't looked at the routing yet. Is it fairly self explanitry?

i like mine it sounds nice and is a good temporary measure until next summer when my carbonio will go back on (i get paranoid about hydrolock). I just love the carbonio sound too much to sell it.

be very inersted in seeing the outcome if you manage it.

i have been toying with the idea of a jetex for a while after hearing good things, this thread is begining to sway my decision!

what is the easiest and neatest way of running a beefier cai? is ebay the best place to source the ducting?

I got mine from ebay... I used 4", S3Paul has used 3"... both of us have FMIC's so if you still have the std SMIC's then you won't be able to route the ducting to the bumper grille... 4" is a struggle to get down there anyway and I have mine just behind the headlight drawing air from the lower half of the bumper...

Thanks bill.
Tuffty, how close is the lid to fitting with the jetex cone in the airbox?
I may get one and run it in the winter and see what its like.
S3paul, I like the look of the cold air feed that you've installed, I haven't looked at the routing yet. Is it fairly self explanitry?

Have a look on my build thread, I have pics and everything :)

<tuffty/>

I love my jetex too! it's amazing.

Sounds great and doesn't risk the engine in wet weather!

I realy need to hear somebodyelses
Mine sounded naff so i took it off.
I was unsure weather to fit it in the first place