A3 1.8t sport Tuning Plan

jeeeessss lmao i only asked some advice didnt want to cause world war 3 lol, didnt realise it was such a sensitive subject, thanks for all the info though guys im glad the forum have guy that are so passionate about there cars, may have to looks at smothing the air box, im assume its hard to do and very time consuming lol

Its usual mate, some S3 owners dont like being shown up thats all mate.

bruised pride I reckon ;)

Indeed.

Some people find it really hard to grasp that not everyone wants/can afford an S3. I could buy a cheap S3 with a load of problems and spend a load on it...or carry on spending modest cash on my a3 thats a minter. No brainer for me.

may have to looks at smothing the air box, im assume its hard to do and very time consuming lol

Not hard to do at all mate no, but very time consuming yes. I think it took me a good few hours to do it well when I last did one.

Stanley knife to cut out most of the fins, then a sharp more flexible blade to trim it off flush in the box, then I used an electric sander to really go all out and make the inside of the box super smooth.

That coulpled with an uprated panel filter will give you more than enough scope for power and will remain quiet like standard

Awesome looks like I know what I'll be doin some point in the near future ps what does OP mean lol cheers fellas

At the end of the day any money spent modifiying will be a waste in terms of resale, its worth is what it does for the person spending that money, not what it does when comapared against another car. 5k could get you an S3, it could also get you a E36 M3 which has 320bhp better handeling, better brakes, can be found with similar spec. or you could buy a CLK 55 AMG which is on par with the M3 neither need any tuning. Both will cost more to run but thats the price for more power. People should stop going on about A3 vs S3 and just assist the guy in getting the most out of his A3. Its his money to spend at the end of the day you dont have to agree with what he spends it on. The only thing I disagree on is the S3 costing more to service, the only difference is a haldex oil and filter change every 20k.

At the end of the day any money spent modifiying will be a waste in terms of resale, its worth is what it does for the person spending that money, not what it does when comapared against another car. 5k could get you an S3, it could also get you a E36 M3 which has 320bhp better handeling, better brakes, can be found with similar spec. or you could buy a CLK 55 AMG which is on par with the M3 neither need any tuning. Both will cost more to run but thats the price for more power. People should stop going on about A3 vs S3 and just assist the guy in getting the most out of his A3. Its his money to spend at the end of the day you dont have to agree with what he spends it on. The only thing I disagree on is the S3 costing more to service, the only difference is a haldex oil and filter change every 20k.

theres also more labour in terms of clutches and gearboxes etc as all the haldex system etc is in the way.

theres also more labour in terms of clutches and gearboxes etc as all the haldex system etc is in the way.

Agreed but a clutch change isnt normally done every 6-10k miles, in terms of basic service the price is no more.

5k could get you an S3, it could also get you a E36 M3 which has 320bhp better handeling, better brakes, can be found with similar spec.

Now you're all going to think I'm completely crazy.....

I actually had an e36 M3. It was awesome, bags of power, and amazing handling, but I actually sold it to go back to a tunned a3!

The M3 was good, but nowhere near good enough to warrant the increased running costs and insurance when compared to the turbo'd hatch back! Point to point it wasn't THAT much faster, and I soon missed the torque of the turbo.

Plus, one of the biggest things, there was nothing special about a standard m3. Nothing unique at all. The surprise element of a fast 'normal' car is brilliant :)

I actually had an e36 M3. It was awesome, bags of power, and amazing handling, but I actually sold it to go back to a tunned a3!

The M3 was good, but nowhere near good enough to warrant the increased running costs and insurance when compared to the turbo'd hatch back! Point to point it wasn't THAT much faster, and I soon missed the torque of the turbo.

Plus, one of the biggest things, there was nothing special about a standard m3. Nothing unique at all. The surprise element of a fast 'normal' car is brilliant :)

I believe you and I were discussing precisely this last weekend dude, were we not?

I guess my point was that comparing cost is irrelevant when it comes to power as theres plenty of other cars out there that you could by for 5k or less with plenty more power.

At the end of the day its personnel taste when it comes to what you drive and what you've done to the car. At no point has the OP said "should I mod my A3 or save and buy an S3" yet people start comparing. I could of easily said dont waste your money save it and buy a faster car, if you want a faster car you'll have to pay the premium just like everyone else, but the guy didnt asked that. Rant over.

Ive got a 2010 1.8T Black edition Revo remap so now its running 220bhp and 275ft/lbs of torque...I SHAAAAATTTT all over that Old S3 the other day..They are no hopers! A3 is the way forward at a cheap price, i am 21...Anyone can buy a old S3 there cheap now but whats the point when you can get the same spec as a A3 1.8T or 2.0T and its got better running costs and insurance isnt going to rape you!

Indeed, which is why I'm wanting to hide anything that gives anything away about my cars power (future power that is).

Its already fun annoying people as it is, cant wait for when it gets more go :) I annoyed a Mk4 Golf Anni the other day, that was fun :)

T

Ive got a 2010 1.8T Black edition Revo remap so now its running 220bhp and 275ft/lbs of torque...I SHAAAAATTTT all over that Old S3 the other day..They are no hopers! A3 is the way forward at a cheap price, i am 21...Anyone can buy a old S3 there cheap now but whats the point when you can get the same spec as a A3 1.8T or 2.0T and its got better running costs and insurance isnt going to rape you!
doing well for 21.....are you a banker.....or an herbal spreader...:sly:

Last edited: