EM TuningMonster Motorsport
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By badger5

Thread: A3 AUM 1.8T Ebay Fmic install

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status

A3 AUM 1.8T Ebay Fmic install

Hi guys, seeing as there are SO many threads about this, and so many questions, I thought I'd take a few pics over the weekend when we fitted the turborevs ebay FMIC kit to his AUM engine'd 1.8T.

The AUM differs from the earlier AGU in that it has a map sensor, mounted on top of the SMIC as standard. To get around this problem, we used a forge map sensor pipe, available from forge:
    http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/con...product=FMMAPT

So, here's what we started with, a stupidly low mileage (36k) AUM 1.8T,
    with a custard code phase 1, forge cold side kit, and a carbonio induction kit

We started by removing the front bumper and drivers side headlight, then ripped out all the old pipework and the standard SMIC.

We then made some brackets to hang the core from the core from the crash bar. The core is hung right up tight under the crash bar, with just a 2mm gap between to stop the two rattling against each other

We then started to offer up the cold side pipework, this is the larger 60mm pipe in the kit.
    Being an AUM engine with the map sensor, we needed to put the map sensor back in roughly the same location as standard, due to a fairly short length of wires on the plug.

This involved cutting a fair few bits, as the added length of the map sensor pipe was making the pipework much harder to fit. We ended up cutting 4'' in total off the throttle body hose, and cutting the map pipe down from 9'' to 5''. We also needed to remove around 1.5'' from the end of the cold side intercooler pipe, to realign the angle at which it joined the map pipe.

The only bit I forgot to get pics of is the new N75 take off. all we did for this, was drill an 8mm hole in a suitable location, on the first pipe off the turbo, and then screw in an 8mmb rass hose take off. being so thin, we wern't confident the pipework thread alone would make a boost tight seal, so we used chemical metal on the threads, and then built up around the join to seal it up totally. This has worked faultlessly on my car for 2 years now, so it's more than good enough.

I then took to trimming the crap out of the front bumper, and this is the resulting pile of plastic that I cut out from the back of the bumper:

Saturday night we got the rest of the pipework in and got the car running again before dark. We decided to give up, and swap the spanners for pizza and beer and a bit of Forza 3

Here's how it looked on saturday morning. the rain came down hard, so we moved into the garage

Poor mini had to go outside in the rain!!!

Lights back in and we wen't for a test before refitting the bumper, all seemed well, with the car pulling VERY hard through all the gears, with no signs of any leaks

Bumper back on, and the job was finished!

We went for a test drive, and all seems great. Dan seemed pretty happy, and there were no problems at all. happy days!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

2. # ADS
    ADS

www.badger5.co.uk

Status
    aside from it sticking out so much and is full of leaves now... looks like you have been hoovering up like a westfield mower - lol
    Inertiauk likes this.
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Status
    sadly it's impossible to get the pipes in this kit to sit any further back, but then again, 200 for a kit that works really well can't be complained about!
    when the pipes dull down a tad it doesn't look quite so obvious either. I'd imagine sprayed black it'd almost blend in!

Having done some logs on mine, inlet temps are around 30 degrees even at 22psi of boost from the ko3s heat pump
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Gear

Status
    Good write up
    Merlin Purple 1998 Audi A3 1.8T Sport, 17" TT rims, facelift lights, facelift seats, TIP, Chipped UK Remap, Forge diverter valve, 312mm Brakes & Projektzwo bodykit.

1st Gear

Status
    THAT'S MY CAR!!!
    Great write up Nick, the pics you took along the way came together really well.
    Just makes you realise how much we got done in a day.
    Looks great with bumper off!!

This has made a great difference to the running temp and pulls alot harder and smoother.

Cannot thank you enough Nick, couldn't have done it without you.

Hopefully we'll get another chance to rag around in that awesome mini/beast screaming out to be driven hard.

Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

Status
    I got one of these kits, whilst the intercoolr is fine, I was REALLY disappointed by the pipework... It seemed to be an assortment of universal pipes, rather than the 'A3 kit' that was advertised... Still, we made it fit!

I like the way you've run the pipe down the right hand side of the engine, I ended up using the original charge pipe and pancake and then piped from there. Is that pipework custom made, or did you gt it from somewhere? If custom, can you send me a few photos via email since I really like the ways yours is done!!

Good work!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world

Status
    De-merged

Status
    Jase, you're a legend! Thanks matey

Status
    Will do a copy and stick it in A3/S3 bit,if theres anymore fitting different fmics give me the link and I'll add as and when they appear Nick

Status
    OK cheers Jase, I'll be doing a write up similar to Tim's hidden install in a month or so's time, so I'll add that in here, then i'll send you links to any more that pop up and could be merged

6th Gear

Status
    couldnt you modify/remake the pipes so they actually fit an a3? seems really cheeky advertising it as an "a3" kit but you have to chop the bumper around and leave the grilles out so it "fits".

1st Gear

Status
    since i have the same (AUM) engine i got a question about that map sensor tube.
    forge on its site offers two options for the tube. diameter:60mm,63mm and length:110mm,240 mm.
    so wich one shoud i go for??
    (got the same turbo revs fmic kit)

1st Gear

Status
    hey ,you got any pics of how the hot side connects up ???
    cheers scott
    Audi 1.8t quattro
    Mods :Evo 8 ralliart carbon fiber mud flaps ,forge 007p,k&n appolo cold air feed filter, ko4 turbo by backdraft that fits on ko3 mani
    will go big turbo soon though

Neutral

Status
    Harrogate, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Hi mate I'm just wondering which forge vag sensor u purchased size of pipe and length i have purchased the same intercooler from eBay many thanks
    John

Neutral

Status
    Is it essential to do anything with the n75 valve or is it connected to the intercooler pipe?

Status
    I don't think the lengths change on the forge map pipes mate, but you'll need to cut it down anyway.

As for side, I don't remember which it was to be sure, although i THINK it was 60mm.

Just measure the cold side pipe in your FMIC kit, and that's the size you need for the forge map pipe

And yes, it's 100% essential to make an N75 feed. Without it, you'll blow your turbo up!"

poking badgers with spoons
    Mouse Race Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion

Status
    any chance of some sort of pictures on how the hot side connects up and how to bosh the n75 feed in ? :D

Neutral

Status
    thats great thanks like bellow is there any chance of some sort of diagram from he n75 feed ? thanks

Neutral

Status
    hi mate is the reason you had to do the n75 feed beacause the dump valve is on the coldside as myne isnt so would i be able to just fit on and play?

Neutral

Status
    hi mate here some more pics of an install but without the vag sensor Ebay FMIC Installed!!! Caution : Bank Balance Warning - uk-mkivs

would you just have a look at this aswel and let me know im in the right direction for the n75 valve connection

many thanks
    john

A3 Front Mount Intercooler ( FMIC )

Reverse Gear

Status
    im just about to fit this fmic kit to my a3 and have a couple of q's if i may (i know its an old topic but hopfully someone can help?)

i have the same map sensor thing down behind the head light so do i need the peice of pipe from forge that you used? or can i connect onto the standard map sensor or is that intergrated into the standard i/c?

with my kit iv got an asortment of different brackets but i can see where or why i'd need these, where did you place yours?

and finally lol, where can i get me one of those carbon induction things?

Neutral

Status
    Forge Motorsport | Alloy Fabrication

YOU NEED THIS BUT THE SHORTER ONE @ 60mm by 110mm

And also some chemical metal , brass hosetail 1/4" by 1/4"

Neutral

Status
    prawn should be able to help you with the rest but its just fix and play around wiht so it all fits alright really pretty easy install really

Reverse Gear

Status
    nice one cheers dude, just ordered that pipe and a recirc kit aswel

1st Gear

Status
    Would I need one of these map sensor pipe things for an AGU a3???

Status
    Nope, AGU's are stupid, useless, and utterly brilliant :D

No map sensor on an AGU, all you need is the DV and the N75 take off, the turbo revs kit has a DV take off, but you need to make an N75 take off.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Nope, AGU's are stupid, useless, and utterly brilliant :D

No map sensor on an AGU, all you need is the DV and the N75 take off, the turbo revs kit has a DV take off, but you need to make an N75 take off.
    Hey mate, just read through this thread. Would you still recommend this kit or have you any other recommendations as this is quite an old thread ??

also the last post says you need to make a n75 take off and dv take off. I have a forge tip with these items plumbed into that, are you talking about the other end of these ?? Soz for the noobie questions lol :0