Haldex not working?

s3 Hoggy

Whats going on???
Reaction score
Everything with my car has been working sweet as a nut until yesterday. Basicly I put my foot down and get a lot of wheelspin with no signs of the haldex helping out?
It's always been serviced on time (the haldex) with the last oil and filter change 4,000 miles ago. I don't experience any other symptoms like others have with thee point turns ect, also my car has only done 52,000 miles.

Anybody have Ideas as to why this might be happening?
Thanks for reading,
Matt

Matt, The obvious one is the fuse. Failing that, best way forward would be a Vag-com start to the investigation.

I've got an eBay serial one which works fine on 409.1 on my laptop. Sadly I'm away from tonight, otherwise could have brought it into Oxford this morning...

Cheers,

Matt, The obvious one is the fuse. Failing that, best way forward would be a Vag-com start to the investigation.

I've got an eBay serial one which works fine on 409.1 on my laptop. Sadly I'm away from tonight, otherwise could have brought it into Oxford this morning...

Cheers,

Ah well mate no worries, I'll hopefully be getting it plugged in tonite if the garage round the corner will fit me in,

Just phoned the garage and they can't fit me in for two weeks! Even for a diagnostics check! Think I'm going to buy an EBay lead and see if any thing shows up?

could also be the hand brake switch, if this is ******, it'll stop the haldex working

Just phoned the garage and they can't fit me in for two weeks! Even for a diagnostics check! Think I'm going to buy an EBay lead and see if any thing shows up?

Matt. if you are getting an eBay lead, I would advise getting a serial one, rather than a USB one. I tried 3 USB ones and none of them worked. 1st Serial one worked perfectly and still does..

Cheers,

Dude, is there nobody else nearby that can do a scan for you??

Dude, check the fuse as mentioned as first port of call. It's fuse 31. Top fuse in the middle column. Will be orange IIRC.

Next, have a look at the plug on the diff. I've seen 2 separate S3s where this has become corroded inside and needed repair.

If you are not getting any Haldex, then expect an error code along these lines:

Controller: 8N0 907 379 E
Component: ESP 20 CAN V005
Coding: 18448
Shop #: WSC 01236
1 Fault Found:
01324 - Control Module for All Wheel Drive (J492)
49-00 - No Communications

Thanks for your help guys,
Checked the fuse, looked fine but I still replaced it. That didn't sort it worth a try.
Next I will be checking the plug on the diff as Welly said (will have t wait till Saturday now as no light)
I will be ordering a lead tonight

Thanks for everyones help so far,
Matt

get the wheels off the ground, see if they all spin when you put it in gear, if thye do, i'd say it's a sensor problem (ie 5% of power is going to the wheels, so the heldex isnt broke)

Isn't there an earth strap that corrodes back there? Vaguely remember reading about it but may have not been onto the haldex...

have a look at the plug on the diff. I've seen 2 separate S3s where this has become corroded inside and needed repair.

Where abouts is this mate? I had a quick look in the dark with a torch but its ****** cold and windy so I've come back inside! also where abouts is the earth strap?

I had this last year and it was down to my earthing strap from body to rear diff/haldex.

Cheers guys I'll have a look hopefully tonite if It's still light, can any body confirm which side the earth strap is on?

I have found this, could it be the Earth strap? It's bolted from the drive shaft to the underside of the spare wheel well. As you can see it's pretty fecked! Snapped in half

97e4db3c.jpg

Right I fixed the strap, I'll be taking her for a test drive in the morning, Fingers crossed it's sorted!

bad news the strap doesnt seem to have fixed the problem,

I have found a fault code though, does anybody know what this might be? my repair on the strap wasnt fantastic as I was rushing so might have another look at that in the morning?

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.0
Saturday, 13 November 2010, 17:09:28:0
Control Module Part Number: 02D 900 554 C
Component and/or Version: HALDEX LSC ECC 0009
Software Coding:
Work Shop Code:
1 Fault Found:
65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error
00-00 - -

Any help would be great,
Cheers Matt

I thought I'd check the earth strap today while I was changing my oils. I have a pre facelift model 1999 and it does not have an earth strap at all...

Does anyone know if the earth souls be bolted to the chasis and the spare wheel well? As I've only bolted it back to the wheel well

Last edited:
Not yet mate but everything seems to be pointing towards the haldex controller, havnt got s lot of time to get it sorted at the moment, as soon as anything changes I'll update this thread

WooooooooooooooHooooooooooooo! Fitted a second hand haldex controller this morning and now I have my 4wd back! Big thankyou to Rob (aka Cecilthesausage) for the part

It wasn't that hard as such, I done it on ramps as you are best off with as much room as possible. It's just a case of removing the cover plate that protects the haldex plug, then unplug it there and also unplug the haldex at the controller itself, two Allen bolts hold the controller on undo these and your away! You loose a spoon full of oil. Then just repeat in reverse to fit the new one, holding the gasket in place is the biggest pain in the ****! I would reccomend getting the top screw in first a couple of turns then the bottom ensuring you still have the gasket it the right place. Tighten it all up and reconnect the plugs and your there.
So yeah it's not a difficult job just fiddly and I kept getting crap in my eyes!

I sold mine to Hoggy for £100 pound which I think is about the going rate.... Dont know how often they come up though bud:think: