Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications

Thread: Low Power

It's not f@cking ORANGE!!!!!

Status

Low Power

Ok, so after Saturday at Bill's rolling road my car seems to have a mind of it's own!!

3 dyno runs with figures of 218, 237 and 216 bhp WTF??? Looking at the graphs, it doesn't suggest that I have a boost leak, the fueling looks ok and it's not the MAF!

I still have a really odd misfire on idle, cylinder 2 has a higher voltage reading than the others and it's lumpy as hell when revved........

Open to any suggestions folks
    JAFFASPORT - 2001 Facelift, 218/237/216bhp AMK, Absolute Red, Thrashed to Death, Car Park Dents Everywhere, Kei Flux's, Knackered Shocks, Scuffed Rear Bumper and in need of a good Hoover!!

BLACK EVO BEATER -2001 Facelift, 349bhp AMK, Ebony Black, Blue Seats, 4 Wheels, Brakes, Exhaust, Headlights, Sh!t loads of boost and up for sale!

RGV 250N - Bloody fast and loads of fun........I get wet a lot when it rains....

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Jojo told me about this,what map is it ?

Smell my finger.

Status
    It had a Revo sticker on the back of it
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Status
    Hi Jase,

It's a Revo map. It's set at aggresive booost too but just seems really odd. When I spoke to Revo they said it wouldn't be the map causing the misfire as it's a generic map.

I get no fault codes on VAG COM, it's got new coil packs, swapping the packs from cylinder to cylinder made no difference to the voltage of cylinder two, new plugs, and changing the MAF made no difference either!! I just don't see how it can run 218 bhp on one run and then 237 bhp on another and, 220 with the MAF disconnected!! The torque figures didn't make sense either as they were opposite to the power outputs!!

I'm feeling a tourettes moment coming on!!
    Last edited by scoobyra; 8th November 2010 at 11:39. Reason: spelling
    JAFFASPORT - 2001 Facelift, 218/237/216bhp AMK, Absolute Red, Thrashed to Death, Car Park Dents Everywhere, Kei Flux's, Knackered Shocks, Scuffed Rear Bumper and in need of a good Hoover!!

BLACK EVO BEATER -2001 Facelift, 349bhp AMK, Ebony Black, Blue Seats, 4 Wheels, Brakes, Exhaust, Headlights, Sh!t loads of boost and up for sale!

RGV 250N - Bloody fast and loads of fun........I get wet a lot when it rains....

Status
    It had a Revo sticker on the back of it
    Well observent........for a COPPER! LOL

1st Gear

Status
    Spark plugs? when was it last serviced?

Status
    Thanks Tom

Bill is no mug so what was his view of it ?

K1 Driver

Status

My Social Networking

Visit DJ_Troopa's Instagram Channel
    It's because your car is orange
    Inferi Black Cupra K1

Click here for more Troo-Pics!

Status
    Bill is no mug so what was his view of it ?
    Didn't really say too much as he was a bit busy with everyone elses car. Personally, I'd actually like to remove the map and see what it runs as a standard car but, REVO won't let me do this unless I pay for another map?? Good customer service eh??!!

The car has a history of MAF replacements and I replaced it when I had it mapped nearly 3 years ago. My initial thoughts are to do a compression test and see what results I get, although I can't explain the higher voltage on cylinder two?

Status
    It's because your car is orange
    Very funny!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobyra View Post
    Didn't really say too much as he was a bit busy with everyone elses car. Personally, I'd actually like to remove the map and see what it runs as a standard car but, REVO won't let me do this unless I pay for another map?? Good customer service eh??!!
    Do you want to borrow my SPS ?

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobyra View Post

The car has a history of MAF replacements and I replaced it when I had it mapped nearly 3 years ago. My initial thoughts are to do a compression test and see what results I get, although I can't explain the higher voltage on cylinder two?
    Have you been around and checked out all the earths dude. Also, check the charging voltage of the alternator.

Those two things can cause all sorts of electrical issues.

Have you checked the wiring to both the coils and the MAF? The coil wiring especially has a habit of splitting quite badly. Mine went and I had all sorts of problems.

Start with the obvious, but I would say it's electrical whatever it is.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Status
    Do you want to borrow my SPS ?
    Thanks Jase, that's really kind of you. My mate is a Revo dealer so he can turn it off but am I right in thinking all that does it put it back to what Revo think is standard, as opposed to the original Audi map??

Status
    I'm unsure I will ask Revo

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    I can confirm that the revo 'standard' map is a revo equivalent and not the actual audi map. Before it was mapped rtech scanned the map and found it was a revo 'std' map, he rolling roaded it, then loaded on a genuine audi AUM map and it made 3bhp and 9lbft more.

Interesting I thought, as it proves that your car actually IS slower than standard after a revo trial!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Status
    It's just so odd that the figures are really random!! It's bad enough that it only managed 237bhp but to be all over the place is just a pile of crap!

Status
    Just read something in the Common Faults S3 Buying Guide about the MAF causing rough idle, poor mpg and bad cold start problems, all of which my car suffer from. Even though I swapped the MAF and VAG COM showed no difference, I'm wondering if I should try another MAF and take the car for a 20 mile drive and see what happens??

1st Gear

Status
    Hi;

It does sound like your car has a issue I would suspect either a vac leak or a bad MAF going by your symptoms typically a vac leak causing this kind of issue would throw a CEL so I would be more inclined to look at the MAF.... a new MAF doesn't mean it's a good MAF either I’m afraid I’ve seen my fair share of faulty new units!

As you're in Portsmouth probably the easiest solution would be to pop to JKM and get the guys there to have a look for you as they'll be able to find your issue quickly and easily.

I hope this is of some help!

Status
    Thanks Carl,

My car was mapped by one of my mates, Tim Barnard who is also a Revo Agent. We've had it on VAG COM and it doesn't show as a fulaty MAF or an air leak. I changed the MAF anyway and it didn't make any difference whatsoever! The only option is to try yet another MAF. The voltage on cylinder two is almost double the other 3 and makes no difference when the coil packs or plugs are swapped round. The idle is odd as it just misses randomly and is rough as a badgers @rse when it's revved (although not noticeable when being driven).

2nd Gear
    Hexxagon Champion

Status
    Hi mike,

What spark plugs did you put in? have you tried electrical cleaner on your maf?. I hate mafs we should have tried yours in my car at bills on saturday could have sorted both our problems i had other stuff to do int he afternoon unfortuantly so had to make a sluggish escape with my 189bhp :P.