Upgrading to a KO3S

A3Tom

Smell my finger.
Reaction score
Right, after being on the dyno yesterday I've decided I should look into getting my KO3 replaced with a KO3S.

I'm aware the KO3S is a straight bolt on fit which is all good, I'll put a 3" downpipe on it to go with the catback system I already have so thats all good. Now what I'm asking I suppose is the following:

1. Should I go for a front mount or run with an upgraded sidemount such as the bargain Turborevs one?.
2. If I run a fatter sidemount should I replace the pancake pipe?
3. Will I be able to retain my Forge TIP that I already have?
4. Anyone know of a decent KO3S for sale?

Currently my shopping list is:
3" downpipe
KO3S turbo
Bigger sidemount or FMIC

Anything I've missed?. Already got panel filter and 007 etc etc.

Ta!

Tom

PS: I knew seeing all those more powerful cars yesterday would make me upgrade...damn!.

You can definitely keep your forge TIP Tom, it'll be perfect. Don't forget you'll need a remap too. Custom code will give you some discount for already having Cc1, but I think it'll still be more than the £285 rtech will charge for a stage 2.

Seeing as mine made 224 on Saturday on the standard smic, I think you'll be ok with a Turborevs uprated smic, mine hardly ever heatsoaks on the road, only on track really, so for ease I'd definitely give the larger smic a try.

As for a downpipe, millteks with a sports cat are big money, but most people now run an eBay 3" dp/ decat. Only you can decide if you're happy to run a decat though. It would be faiy easy (and still cheaper than a Milltek) to have a sports cat welded onto the decat pipe flange if you'd prefer to keep a cat. Being an agu you have no post cat lamda, so no worries about warning lights.

Pick up a decent ko3s on the lowest mileage you can, get that lot fitted, and with a good map you can expect a genuine 225bhp and 240lbft all day long :)

grr i envy you Tom! and you prawn for that fact! lol

im getting mine next year.

id go for the smic and its only a 100 quid n easy to put in yourself. itll do the job.

Cheers Nick.

Its going to be an ebay downpipe, sports cat and a turbo revs side mount then. Going to get on the phone to a few breakers too and start putting the feelers out for the turbo too.

Sounds good Tom. Odly, I found the seat boys tend to sell their ko3s's much cheaper than the golf/tt chaps. I think this is possibly due to many more seat owners doing hybrid and garret conversions.

I'd be looking on SCN for a good turbo

Didn't take you long to get power hungry after the RR day at bills then haha

Didn't take you long to get power hungry after the RR day at bills then haha

I know :(

The thing is, its not going to cost a massive amount!. I reckon:

Turbo: Circa £300
Downpipe & sports cat: £200ish
Side mount: £100
Mapping: £285

Hmmmm. Still not 100% sure if it'll happen now or if I'll mass parts over the next few months and get it done in the new year once crimbo's out the way.

T

Tom, have a word with CR Turbos mate... pretty sure a straight forward turbo refurb on a K03 turns it into a K03s anyway as its nothing other than a later spec model K03...

<tuffty/>

Tom, have a word with CR Turbos mate... pretty sure a straight forward turbo refurb on a K03 turns it into a K03s anyway as its nothing other than a later spec model K03...

<tuffty/>

Cheers Paul, I've seen their name crop up so I'll drop them an email with what I want etc :)

T

hi can you let me know the price of the refurbed ko3 = ko3s dident know this is pos thanks

Bear in mind Tom that you have a large port head, which Prawn doesn't.... lol.

Could be interesting to see the difference in outputs.

Largeport small port doesn't seem to make much difference at ko3s output welly, my old Car was very similar to the new car, although the large port seems a bit more laggy perhaps

Largeport small port doesn't seem to make much difference at ko3s output welly, my old Car was very similar to the new car, although the large port seems a bit more laggy perhaps

Hmmm, I guess it's not pumping that much boost through....

Still would be an interesting comparison between an AGU K03S and yours, as your will have newer engine management as well.

True, would be very interesting. When I get my
Fmic and stage 2 map done, I'll have to take the old and new car to the same rollers for a direct comparison!

or we could have a race :D lol was very impressed with your results on the rollers Nick, roll on stage 2!

Not going down the K04 route...too much cash to pump into a 10 year old car :)

Prawn, as and when it happens we'll have to see if Bill can fit us in for a few runs to see whats what :)

T