Volks AutosSky Insurance
    Smell my finger.

Status

Upgrading to a KO3S

Right, after being on the dyno yesterday I've decided I should look into getting my KO3 replaced with a KO3S.

I'm aware the KO3S is a straight bolt on fit which is all good, I'll put a 3" downpipe on it to go with the catback system I already have so thats all good. Now what I'm asking I suppose is the following:

1. Should I go for a front mount or run with an upgraded sidemount such as the bargain Turborevs one?.
    2. If I run a fatter sidemount should I replace the pancake pipe?
    3. Will I be able to retain my Forge TIP that I already have?
    4. Anyone know of a decent KO3S for sale?

Currently my shopping list is:
    3" downpipe
    KO3S turbo
    Bigger sidemount or FMIC

Anything I've missed?. Already got panel filter and 007 etc etc.

Ta!

Tom

PS: I knew seeing all those more powerful cars yesterday would make me upgrade...damn!.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

2. # ADS
    ADS

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    You can definitely keep your forge TIP Tom, it'll be perfect. Don't forget you'll need a remap too. Custom code will give you some discount for already having Cc1, but I think it'll still be more than the 285 rtech will charge for a stage 2.

Seeing as mine made 224 on Saturday on the standard smic, I think you'll be ok with a Turborevs uprated smic, mine hardly ever heatsoaks on the road, only on track really, so for ease I'd definitely give the larger smic a try.

As for a downpipe, millteks with a sports cat are big money, but most people now run an eBay 3" dp/ decat. Only you can decide if you're happy to run a decat though. It would be faiy easy (and still cheaper than a Milltek) to have a sports cat welded onto the decat pipe flange if you'd prefer to keep a cat. Being an agu you have no post cat lamda, so no worries about warning lights.

Pick up a decent ko3s on the lowest mileage you can, get that lot fitted, and with a good map you can expect a genuine 225bhp and 240lbft all day long
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    grr i envy you Tom! and you prawn for that fact! lol

im getting mine next year.

id go for the smic and its only a 100 quid n easy to put in yourself. itll do the job.

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

Smell my finger.

Status
    Cheers Nick.

Its going to be an ebay downpipe, sports cat and a turbo revs side mount then. Going to get on the phone to a few breakers too and start putting the feelers out for the turbo too.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Status
    Sounds good Tom. Odly, I found the seat boys tend to sell their ko3s's much cheaper than the golf/tt chaps. I think this is possibly due to many more seat owners doing hybrid and garret conversions.

I'd be looking on SCN for a good turbo
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5th Gear

Status
    Didn't take you long to get power hungry after the RR day at bills then haha
    Ive been Badger 5'd

Can we break the magic 300?????? In a word Yes 314 BHP 249 lbft at Badger 5

Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    steves is way quicker than any stock turbo'd s3 i have driven
    I only date skinny Women! They keep my power to weight higher...

Smell my finger.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Steve View Post
    Didn't take you long to get power hungry after the RR day at bills then haha
    I know

The thing is, its not going to cost a massive amount!. I reckon:

Turbo: Circa 300
    Downpipe & sports cat: 200ish
    Side mount: 100
    Mapping: 285

Hmmmm. Still not 100% sure if it'll happen now or if I'll mass parts over the next few months and get it done in the new year once crimbo's out the way.

T

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Tom, have a word with CR Turbos mate... pretty sure a straight forward turbo refurb on a K03 turns it into a K03s anyway as its nothing other than a later spec model K03...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Smell my finger.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    Tom, have a word with CR Turbos mate... pretty sure a straight forward turbo refurb on a K03 turns it into a K03s anyway as its nothing other than a later spec model K03...

<tuffty/>
    Cheers Paul, I've seen their name crop up so I'll drop them an email with what I want etc

T

Neutral

Status
    hi can you let me know the price of the refurbed ko3 = ko3s dident know this is pos thanks

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gussyldr View Post
    hi can you let me know the price of the refurbed ko3 = ko3s dident know this is pos thanks
    Welcome to CRTurbos

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Bear in mind Tom that you have a large port head, which Prawn doesn't.... lol.

Could be interesting to see the difference in outputs.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    I knew we would get him chaps,LOL

Subliminal messaging does work, he he

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan A4 View Post
    I knew we would get him chaps,LOL

Subliminal messaging does work, he he
    Yarp, its a fair cop

<tuffty/>

Status
    Largeport small port doesn't seem to make much difference at ko3s output welly, my old Car was very similar to the new car, although the large port seems a bit more laggy perhaps

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Largeport small port doesn't seem to make much difference at ko3s output welly, my old Car was very similar to the new car, although the large port seems a bit more laggy perhaps
    Hmmm, I guess it's not pumping that much boost through....

Still would be an interesting comparison between an AGU K03S and yours, as your will have newer engine management as well.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Status
    True, would be very interesting. When I get my
    Fmic and stage 2 map done, I'll have to take the old and new car to the same rollers for a direct comparison!

3rd Gear

Status
    or we could have a race :D lol was very impressed with your results on the rollers Nick, roll on stage 2!

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    I will be selling my CR Hybrid K04, manifold, down pipe, oil lines, tip and other little things next year some time
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available

FOR SALE
    None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

5th Gear

Status
    what Manifold????????????
    Ive been Badger 5'd

Can we break the magic 300?????? In a word Yes 314 BHP 249 lbft at Badger 5

Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    steves is way quicker than any stock turbo'd s3 i have driven
    I only date skinny Women! They keep my power to weight higher...

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Standard S3 Exhaust manifold
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available

FOR SALE
    None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

Smell my finger.

Status
    Not going down the K04 route...too much cash to pump into a 10 year old car

Prawn, as and when it happens we'll have to see if Bill can fit us in for a few runs to see whats what

T

RIP S3dave

Status
    aye, just let me know when.
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/