Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits
    3rd Gear

Status

switch from 18" to 17" wheels?

since i got one rim that had a big crack in it and my 2001 S3 vibrate in an unacceptable way when 100 km is reached....i am considering getting a set of 17" (oem but dont know coming out of what audi) and keep my current spacers (10 mm all around)
    will i loose some stability with this swap? what is the best tire size to get on those 17"?
    i assume the gap in the arches will get bigger a bit...but i also think that the car will feel a bit softer over bumps and bad roads....am i right?
    Audi S3 AMK
    Relentless-Manifold, Relentless-3" downpipe decat, Forge 007 DV, autobahn88 TIP, K&N Panel filter, EBC yellowstuff brake pads, R32 ARB, Custom column dual gauge pod...waiting for a remap!

For help/info/pricing on xs manifold and downpipe pm me (not affiliated, nor a reseller trader, just an enthusiast!)

2. # ADS
    ADS

Smell my finger.

Status
    You are right.

I've just taken some 18's off my A3 and put the standard 16" wheels back on it and its lovely to drive now. I have uprated shocks and springs etc and with bigger wheels and rubbish roads it got to the point where they had to go. I'm really happy with the standard wheels on now...handles so much nicer and I get better MPG. The 18's look better but I'm loving the stock look now (although lower than normal). On a billiard table smooth road the 18's where nice to drive on..but where are you going to find one of those?
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Chugger

Status
    i recently changed from 18" rstt reps to the 17" avus wheels and its so much better. Cant really compare the grip because the new ones have alot better tyres, but the oem wheels are so much lighter and seem to give a better ride.
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

3rd Gear

Status
    exactly what i was thinking....might give it a shot on christmas vacation
    Audi S3 AMK
    Relentless-Manifold, Relentless-3" downpipe decat, Forge 007 DV, autobahn88 TIP, K&N Panel filter, EBC yellowstuff brake pads, R32 ARB, Custom column dual gauge pod...waiting for a remap!

For help/info/pricing on xs manifold and downpipe pm me (not affiliated, nor a reseller trader, just an enthusiast!)

1st Gear

Status
    might sell the set of 4 OEM wheels from my S3. I'd say very good condition, just some small marks.

3rd Gear

Status
    im located in Canada :D
    Audi S3 AMK

3rd Gear

Status
    ive just gone from 18" down to my original avus wheels and what a difference in ride quality as ive found the car to "choppy" on the road around my way now its great to drive oem all the way!
    James
    Silver Audi 8L S3
    97 Fireblade fully restored ...just for summer!
    My old Corrado VR6 Turbo... Click me for the build DIY style!
    and many many cars and bikes in the past!!

3rd Gear

Status
    its really good to know that!
    i think a set of nice 17" with the right spacers (10 front 15 rear) will look good too
    Audi S3 AMK

Chugger

Status
    Yeah I think so too. I'm planning on fitting spacers to mine. I think the 17" avus wheel look far better and modern than the rstt/ rs4 style wheels
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)