switch from 18" to 17" wheels?

Chlippo

Reaction score
since i got one rim that had a big crack in it and my 2001 S3 vibrate in an unacceptable way when 100 km is reached....i am considering getting a set of 17" (oem but dont know coming out of what audi) and keep my current spacers (10 mm all around)
will i loose some stability with this swap? what is the best tire size to get on those 17"?
i assume the gap in the arches will get bigger a bit...but i also think that the car will feel a bit softer over bumps and bad roads....am i right?

You are right.

I've just taken some 18's off my A3 and put the standard 16" wheels back on it and its lovely to drive now. I have uprated shocks and springs etc and with bigger wheels and rubbish roads it got to the point where they had to go. I'm really happy with the standard wheels on now...handles so much nicer and I get better MPG. The 18's look better but I'm loving the stock look now (although lower than normal). On a billiard table smooth road the 18's where nice to drive on..but where are you going to find one of those?

i recently changed from 18" rstt reps to the 17" avus wheels and its so much better. Cant really compare the grip because the new ones have alot better tyres, but the oem wheels are so much lighter and seem to give a better ride.

might sell the set of 4 OEM wheels from my S3. I'd say very good condition, just some small marks.

ive just gone from 18" down to my original avus wheels and what a difference in ride quality as ive found the car to "choppy" on the road around my way now its great to drive oem all the way!

its really good to know that!
i think a set of nice 17" with the right spacers (10 front 15 rear) will look good too

Yeah I think so too. I'm planning on fitting spacers to mine. I think the 17" avus wheel look far better and modern than the rstt/ rs4 style wheels