Question about the throttle body

bengal

Reaction score
Hi all i have a random problem with my 1.8t agu which i think is down to the throttle body. The car was fine yesterday but today it took a little longer to start and for 5mins it was idling at 1500 rpm as well as being sluggish in low rpm. The throttle body is clean and adapts with vag com ok and doesnt throw any codes , no codes for anything else either. The engine is running fine its not misfiring and there are no vac leaks can a throttle body be faulty and not throw any codes for it and still adapt with vag com? and can the motor part of the throttle body be serviced/cleaned as i think there might be something sticking. Even though the problem is random what i have noticed for a while now is the accelerator pedal does not move away from my foot anymore whereas it used to do it instead of this happening the revs drop slightly when i get moving from a standstill. Sorry for the long post i just want to explain the problem fully to save other questions thanks.

Im not sure tbh but its possible could this be a cause of the problem ?

I wouldnt have thought so. I've cleaned mine a few times and some intake cleaner must have got into the motor. Pretty sure intake cleaner (if thats what you used) would be safe enough?.

T

it is safe...actualy it mixes with the fuel and it disapear quit quickly...at least that what was written on my cleaner last time i used it

Thought so, I've sprayed it into mine loads of times with no issues.

Hi Bengal,

what do you mean about the gas pedal moving away from your foot??!

Mine is DBW an i just know to make sure the motor stays at the top of the unit when i remove an clean it. Is there still a motor in the cable TB's for any reason?

Hi Bengal,

what do you mean about the gas pedal moving away from your foot??!
I will try and explain it its mainly when the car pulls off the throttle body intervenes for whatever reason and its felt through the pedal it feels like it moves away from my foot to me lol.

Iv sorted the problem now not 100% how but its better. I took the throttle body off and had a look at the mechanism but tbh there wasnt a lot i could do there so i made sure its moving freely and not sticking anywhere , i give the butterfly a quick clean although that was pretty much spotless and cleaned the connection up but that wasnt really dirty. When i put it back on the accelerator cable was slack so i adjusted it up to take the slack out of it then obviously did a tba and took it for a drive and its spot on. Its not the tba as i did this before doing anything else and it made no difference the connector was plugged in properly before i took it off so its not that so the only thing it could have been is the cable before i adjusted i could move the throttle by hand and the cable didnt move with it straight away whereas after i adjusted it it moves at the same time. There is a big difference though so it must have been that sorry for the essay i thought this might help others with simalar problems.

wen the pedal moves from ure foot its usually when ure air cons on mate, as the car will rev a little bit more to componsate, it confused me at first :p

Yeah your right it does it more with the air con on. Just to clear this up that doesnt concern me its supposed to do it it was the lack of it which was. Thanks for all replies though.