Badger5Volks Autos
    3rd Gear

Status

Fitting Wing Mirror Caps

Anyone got any info on fitting wing mirror caps to a pre-facelift S3? How do I remove the old ones?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Alex

Status
    The OEM ones aren't caps, they're housings. If you bought caps then they just stick on with double sided tape.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

PS3: Broady_11

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by metricspaces View Post
    Anyone got any info on fitting wing mirror caps to a pre-facelift S3? How do I remove the old ones?
    Adjust the wing mirror glass as inwards as possible, then use your fingers to pull the glass off it's base with the gap, need to be a bit gentle, or it will crack! Then you need to undo the 2 wires that power the demister, you can just pull these off with your fingers or use a small flat blade screwdriver. Now there are 3 small crosshead screw(torque screws with a different thread if you have alloy mirrors), undo these and the whole cap pulls off upwards.

Fitting is obviously the reverse of the above.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks. I've gotten the housings, not caps. The ones I got are like these here 88-Tuning Shop - Alu-Matt-Look Spiegel (Spiegelgehuse) passend fr Audi A3 8L Bj. 01-02 mit normalem Beifahrerspiegel Alu-Matt-Look Spiegel (Spiegelgehuse) MC08147.1 , but apparently fit a pre-facelift, so we shall see

I don't understand this bit about

"Now there are 3 small crosshead screw(torque screws with a different thread if you have alloy mirrors"

Can I unscrew these with a normal Philips screwdriver? Or will I need a special head\screwdriver to remove them?

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by metricspaces View Post
    Thanks. I've gotten the housings, not caps. The ones I got are like these here 88-Tuning Shop - Alu-Matt-Look Spiegel (Spiegelgehuse) passend fr Audi A3 8L Bj. 01-02 mit normalem Beifahrerspiegel Alu-Matt-Look Spiegel (Spiegelgehuse) MC08147.1 , but apparently fit a pre-facelift, so we shall see

I don't understand this bit about

"Now there are 3 small crosshead screw(torque screws with a different thread if you have alloy mirrors"

Can I unscrew these with a normal Philips screwdriver? Or will I need a special head\screwdriver to remove them?
    If you have the standard body coloured caps, then a philips screwdriver will do the trick, if you have the alloy ones, then you need a torx screw head(I think).

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    If you have the standard body coloured caps, then a philips screwdriver will do the trick, if you have the alloy ones, then you need a torx screw head(I think).
    Ah right, makes sense now, thanks! I've standard caps, so should be good with the philips.