S3 Gearbox Seal and CV Boots

Maz

Reaction score
Morning all,

Not a happy bunny at the mo, had the car inspected yesterday due to whining and clicking symptoms when turning left and a burning smell and the results are not good.

looks like this month is going to be an expensive one thanks to a major leakage from the gearbox seal and two split cv boots :(

Have any of you guys had the gearbox seal replaced before and am I likely to cause any damage driving the car whilst I wait till next week to get it repaired?

I should imagine it is the oil level in the gearbox you need to be concerned about if it is leaking, if it runs dry it will seize up...if continuing to drive it...

Thanks, is there any way of checking the oil level?

...I think its time to get the push bike out of the shed

Thanks, is there any way of checking the oil level?

...I think its time to get the push bike out of the shed

There is either a 17mm hex or 'special' large splined plug on the gearbox casing where the starter motor is... need to get it from underneath and car needs to be level so a ramp or 4 x axle stands...

Typically this should be filled so the oil just starts to trickle out.... you can check the level using a bent bit of wire/coat hanger/welding rod or similar as a dipstick... needs to be bent at 90 degrees and fed into the hole to get an idea of where the level is... use 75W90 semi synth gear oil...

<tuffty/>

<sorry for the old thread resurrection \>

Hi Maz,

Your inbox is full so I couldn't PM you.

I think one of my gearbox seals is on the way out. How much did it cost you to get that sorted?

Cheers, Liam

Last edited: