High level brake light bulb change

TimG

Reaction score
Probs the lamest question ever, but Im guessing its a case of just pulling hard at the trim to get it off, held in by those clip thingys, then the bulbs are accessable?

Thought Id just double check before I go breaking anything :)

Yep they are, did mine a few months ago, all for the sake of one bulb (ocd much).

I think there might just be one (maybe two) screws to undo (near the bottom of the boot)

It was then just a case of easing off the clips (there are loads of them).

Sorry for being a bit vague, its in the haynes though.

Glad you asked this TimG.

Got to replace a bulb myself.

@Maxp, where did you get your bulb from dude? Stealer?

Yep theres a dealer a few mins away from me. The new one was noticebly brighter than the others, so I replaced a working but old bulb on the other end of the cluster to 'even' them up.

Thanks for that mate :icon_thumright:

Will sort this the weekend if weather is o.k!

Hi Guys, i know this is an old post do you know what the type of bulb it is so i can purchase these? Name of the bulb for example will be appreciated.

Thanks!

It's a dealership bulb I think, and if I read correctly before, you need to replace all of them at the one time. If you put in one new one it will change the electrical draw on the others and result in the old ones blowing quickly. Plus you'd have an odd brightness!

there's the size you need.

Screen Shot 2015 06 08 at 224544

they are actually really small! brake bulb 12v 2.3

As above, I changed all mine at the weekend as 3 were out. Ordered box of 10 online for around £5 I think. Very simple and they are indeed tiny!

It's a dealership bulb I think, and if I read correctly before, you need to replace all of them at the one time. If you put in one new one it will change the electrical draw on the others and result in the old ones blowing quickly. Plus you'd have an odd brightness!

don't want to be an internet ****, but the above is b****ks, i'm an elec eng, so know a little of what I speak of
different electrical draw will make no difference to the other bulbs, in this case, there are good reasons to change all at the same time
different brightness
the old bulbs are just that, old, easily over 10 years old now, so if one fails, the rest are due anyways, this may lead to the impression that changing one caused the others to fail
its a bitch to get to, stand a good chance of breaking the plastic bits if you have to take the trim bits off 10 times

As I said, 'if I read correctly' I was open to be corrected as I wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing that up for me and for others.

just google T5 capless bulbs, same thing, i replaced mine with some ebay led t5's i bought a few years ago, it was $2 for 10 bulbs if i remember correctly.